Home Emergency Cover

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Renewing my MiLs house & contents insurance. She has separate Home Emergency Cover through Homeserve that costs her about £20/month. The quotes I am getting for adding Home Emergency Cover to a new House & Contents policy are of the order of £5/month.

Why the huge difference. There must be something significant that isn’t buried deep in the detail. I don’t think the Homeserve includes Boiler cover…but it might and I suppose that’s a possibility. Maybe the Homeserve includes drains and the cheaper cover doesn’t.

I‘m inclined to cancel Homeserve…Any thoughts.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have been getting their sales/scare post for years. They seem to major on water /drainage issues as their biggest scare topic. Each time I throw it straight into the paper recycling.
The money they want is silly, and you would be better off putting say £5 a way each month into an account for any costly events. (especially when you can get 5% on it now)

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dad has homeserve, few Xmas ago he was left with no heating over Xmas as they couldn't get a engineer out to fix it. Hardly worth it

It's one of them if you have the money available it's better to leave the money in an account and pay out if you have an issue. Much more likely to find an emergency plumber etc

I mean for homeserve it's there guys which you understand but if their guys aren't available it will be you out of pocket if you go elsewhere to get your issue fixed

I've considered having them in the past but since they left my dad without heating for 2 weeks I was put right off them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My dad has homeserve, few Xmas ago he was left with no heating over Xmas as they couldn't get a engineer out to fix it. Hardly worth it

It's one of them if you have the money available it's better to leave the money in an account and pay out if you have an issue. Much more likely to find an emergency plumber etc

I mean for homeserve it's there guys which you understand but if their guys aren't available it will be you out of pocket if you go elsewhere to get your issue fixed

I've considered having them in the past but since they left my dad without heating for 2 weeks I was put right off them.
I’m prob going to cancel as MiL pays quarterly by DD. Unfortunately they might require my MiL, being the policy holder, to do the cancelling…and that will be difficult as she may not be able to understand from me why she should cancel it - even though she’s now in a care home and though my BiL still lives in the house the cover was really for her peace of mind.👍

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’m prob going to cancel as MiL pays quarterly by DD. Unfortunately they might require my MiL, being the policy holder, to do the cancelling…and that will be difficult as she may not be able to understand from me why she should cancel it - even though she’s now in a care home and though my BiL still lives in the house the cover was really for her peace of mind.👍
Have you got a Lasting Power of Attorney in place for your MIL? If so, you should be able to cancel on her behalf. If not, I'd strongly advise you get one sorted ASAP.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you got a Lasting Power of Attorney in place for your MIL? If so, you should be able to cancel on her behalf. If not, I'd strongly advise you get one sorted ASAP.
Would he be able to, as he's only the SIL. Surely the natural son, or daughter would find it easier to get?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Would he be able to, as he's only the SIL. Surely the natural son, or daughter would find it easier to get?
You can choose anyone you want to be your attorney, as long as they are over 18. For a property and affairs LPA, the person you choose cannot be bankrupt.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can choose anyone you want to be your attorney, as long as they are over 18. For a property and affairs LPA, the person you choose cannot be bankrupt.

I was referring more to why would the the natural son or daughter want or allow a BIL/SIL to have control over their mothers monies?
I know I wouldnt even entertain it.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was referring more to why would the the natural son or daughter want or allow a BIL/SIL to have control over their mothers monies?
I know I wouldnt even entertain it.
For the majority of families that would be the case, but you will get situations where a natural son/daughter is not around, or not interested.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the majority of families that would be the case, but you will get situations where a natural son/daughter is not around, or not interested.
Yes, I understand that. But in this case, the natural brother still lives in the family home so possibly benefits from the free to him protection the policy may or may not provide so how does that look for a SIL to be looking to take over financial controls?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yes, I understand that. But in this case, the natural brother still lives in the family home so possibly benefits from the free to him protection the policy may or may not provide so how does that look for a SIL to be looking to take over financial controls?

I’ve seen it where a SiL has had LPA because of competency. Equally, I’ve seen it set up so that 2 people have LPA and that they need to agree on all decisions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It could well be that SiLH is using the royal We on this occasion. Anyway, the thread is getting a little distracted. Can we go back to the original point please.

Happy New Year all 😉

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My wife does. But it’s not registered with HomeServe. Not sure they’d just accept her word for it over the phone.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve seen it where a SiL has had LPA because of competency. Equally, I’ve seen it set up so that 2 people have LPA and that they need to agree on all decisions.
You see my situation pretty correctly. I have ‘backup’ PoA to my wife’s PoA for her mums affairs. My BiL has separate PoA (don’t ask…🙄), but he seems not bothered/competent when it comes to sorting anything out, he just wants the ’power’….😡/🙄. My wife has left doing the legwork around sorting out my MiLs financial matters to me.

And so I find myself sorting out her H&C renewal and asking about HomeServe (but still having to run everything past my BiL for his approval) - perfect for the Random Irritations topic.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You see my situation pretty correctly. I have ‘backup’ PoA to my wife’s PoA for her mums affairs. My BiL has separate PoA (don’t ask…🙄), but he seems not bothered/competent when it comes to sorting anything out, he just wants the ’power’….😡/🙄. My wife has left doing the legwork around sorting out my MiLs financial matters to me.

There’s two POA’s, one being Power of Attorney and the other being Lasting Power of Attorney. LPA is the one to have, especially if they go down the dementia route.