Justin Rose - Equipment change

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was told at my fitting yesterday that TM are going to focus on younger, upcoming professionals and they dumped JR and others are to follow him out of the door. Anyone heard this too?

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think Rose will stick with TM woods and use Honma irons and wedges. He's also used the TM ball for years so will be interesting to see what he moves to.

dronfield

Visit site
It would be a strange move to bin off the World number 1.

Hi
Agreed, why would TM make that decision - JR will win more majors.
Likewise, i have never understood why top pros change gear for a bit more money - most already have enough to last them 3 lifetimes, why not stick with the equipment that brought them success in order to add more titles to their CVs.
At the very top, all the pros are surely playing to create a great career record - can fully understand why a new player on tour would go with the brand offering the most lucrative contract.
Rich

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi
Agreed, why would TM make that decision - JR will win more majors.
Likewise, i have never understood why top pros change gear for a bit more money - most already have enough to last them 3 lifetimes, why not stick with the equipment that brought them success in order to add more titles to their CVs.
At the very top, all the pros are surely playing to create a great career record - can fully understand why a new player on tour would go with the brand offering the most lucrative contract.
Rich
TBF some don't ever change any equipment, bag head cover and cap deal, bag of cash, thanks very much;)

dronfield

Visit site
TBF some don't ever change any equipment, bag head cover and cap deal, bag of cash, thanks very much;)
Hi
Good point - i think i read that Faldo famously was using Mizuno irons in his Wilson bag!
i was watching the Turkish golf last weekend and noticed that Fleetwood was still using his Nike irons - most of their players seemed to swap as soon as they had the chance (Mizuno particularly).
Rich

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi
Good point - i think i read that Faldo famously was using Mizuno irons in his Wilson bag!
i was watching the Turkish golf last weekend and noticed that Fleetwood was still using his Nike irons - most of their players seemed to swap as soon as they had the chance (Mizuno particularly).
Rich
Is Tommy a potential Honma signing? They must be able to provide him with Nike equivalents?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It would. Could it be a cost cutting exercise?
Spot on - Adidas have always focussed on top end stars but with Taylormade now being owned by a VC type organisation they will be looking to cut heir costs.

Nike were a good example of paying hugh amounts to top stars and not seeing the return from equipment sales.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was told at my fitting yesterday that TM are going to focus on younger, upcoming professionals and they dumped JR and others are to follow him out of the door. Anyone heard this too?
Yes I heard the same thing on Talksport yesterday (y)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

These days there are plenty of in depth what's in the bag profiles of all the top players. some may put their main sponsors head cover on a different companies wood for example but no one is out there pretending to play different gear by and large.

D

Deleted member 18588

Hi
Rich

When Faldo was using a Wilson bag he was also using Wilson clubs

I saw the bag and it's contents several times. Seve on the other hand, was a different story as he had different endorsement deals on either side of the Atlantic.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
When Faldo was using a Wilson bag he was also using Wilson clubs

I saw the bag and it's contents several times. Seve on the other hand, was a different story as he had different endorsement deals on either side of the Atlantic.
A lot of what you think irons are or what they are stamped as isn't the most accurate, most of the top manufacturers will get a Japanese forging house to forge a limited run of irons generally for tour use only, these will be manufactured to tighter tolerances and stamped as the brands own. Endo does a lit of these, miura has also been known to do this aswell. It's pretty common knowledge in the golf industry

D

Deleted member 18588

A lot of what you think irons are or what they are stamped as isn't the most accurate, most of the top manufacturers will get a Japanese forging house to forge a limited run of irons generally for tour use only, these will be manufactured to tighter tolerances and stamped as the brands own. Endo does a lit of these, miura has also been known to do this aswell. It's pretty common knowledge in the golf industry

I am well aware of that and it certainly is quite commonplace.

However, my point was that at that time Faldo's clubs were not Mizuno.

His long standing relationship with the club designer and forging expert did not commence until he was coming to the end of his deal with Wilson.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Irrespective of what is stamped on the clubs and who makes them, it seems a very bizarre decision to bin Rose. World #2 and another good season behind him so that has to be good for the brand name. Add in how well respected he is by his peers, social media and fans and in seems mad to take a brand ambassador of that standing away and bring in "younger" players that haven't achieved a fraction of his success and may not rise to the demands of top level golf

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Irrespective of what is stamped on the clubs and who makes them, it seems a very bizarre decision to bin Rose. World #2 and another good season behind him so that has to be good for the brand name. Add in how well respected he is by his peers, social media and fans and in seems mad to take a brand ambassador of that standing away and bring in "younger" players that haven't achieved a fraction of his success and may not rise to the demands of top level golf
Not sure he's been binned, he probably was sent or knew someone who had a set of honma irons and really liked them, fancied a change and honma made him an offer. Can almost guarantee the driver 3 wood and putter will be whatever brand he wants to use. If I was a tour pro I'd probably go down that route too, as irons can be built so similarly to one another it almost doesn't matter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure he's been binned, he probably was sent or knew someone who had a set of honma irons and really liked them, fancied a change and honma made him an offer. Can almost guarantee the driver 3 wood and putter will be whatever brand he wants to use. If I was a tour pro I'd probably go down that route too, as irons can be built so similarly to one another it almost doesn't matter.
I get that but his hardly been a golfing disaster with the current equipment and must be on a decent retainer from TM (although money hardly a consideration) and a face of the brand. Plenty of pros over the year have changed gear and struggled and so I'd argue there's a degree of risk with any decision to move regardless of the manufacturing qualities and tolerances