Justin Rose - Equipment change

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi
Good point - i think i read that Faldo famously was using Mizuno irons in his Wilson bag!
i was watching the Turkish golf last weekend and noticed that Fleetwood was still using his Nike irons - most of their players seemed to swap as soon as they had the chance (Mizuno particularly).
Rich

Fleetwood doesn't have a club sponsor though so he can choose to play what he wants.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I get that but his hardly been a golfing disaster with the current equipment and must be on a decent retainer from TM (although money hardly a consideration) and a face of the brand. Plenty of pros over the year have changed gear and struggled and so I'd argue there's a degree of risk with any decision to move regardless of the manufacturing qualities and tolerances
Obviously Jr is probably not doing it for financial reasons, maybe he feels the equipment is better and is more comfortable with the irons, I'd be surprised if he hasn't been using them to practice for about 6 months already or before he decided. He's been with TM a long while, maybe he just feels like a change so why not. I think you will most likely see no drop in his form, he will use pretty much the same everything except irons and wedges.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Rose is going due to money make no mistake about that. He also enjoys a very good working and personal relationship with Mr King.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Rose is going due to money make no mistake about that. He also enjoys a very good working and personal relationship with Mr King.
I'll take your word for that, JR allegedly has a net worth of $40 million so I'd be surprised if an iron and wedge deal was about the reddies because club deals usually arnt that lucrative for the most part. Clothing and headgear deals are worth more. JR is a thorough guy, and he will have done his homework

D

Deleted member 1147

Fleetwood doesn't have a club sponsor though so he can choose to play what he wants.
He’s on the look out for more of the Nikes. Apparently he would pay handsomely for a set of mint iron heads.
Even tried to get some off Casey, who’s unwilling to sell his last set!

D

Deleted member 1147

Hi
Is Casey not now playing Mizuno irons?

Rich
Yes, but I recall an article this summer about Fleetwood wanting some more Nike irons & Casey has some for posterity that he wouldn’t sell!

Wolf

Visit site
It's probably due to his relationship with Mark King this has come about and I know that he is doing superbly with TM gear but we all fancy a change now and again so good luck to him if true just hope his form isn't affected by it.

But when you also look at marketing from a TM perspective though Rose is World No1 or is that No2 by time I type this! He isn't the flagship type poster boy they want to showcase modern equipment.. He is imo a fantastic role model the game with his attitude, commitment and consistency! BUT... He isn't a Brooks Koepka, DJ or Cameron Champ type that's bombing it ridiculous lengths so can be used for their marketing of how long they're clubs make you... Plus TM probably want a younger following to shove this marketing toward, the only Caveat to that is Tiger as he will sell no matter how old he gets.

dronfield

Visit site
When Faldo was using a Wilson bag he was also using Wilson clubs

I saw the bag and it's contents several times. Seve on the other hand, was a different story as he had different endorsement deals on either side of the Atlantic.

Hi
Just been looking at Mizuno website and against Faldo's profile it states all his 6 majors were won with Mizuno irons - for the 87 Open & 89 Masters he was still carrying a Wilson bag.
i thought i had read that was the case with him & Mizuno are certainly claiming so.

Rich

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi
Just been looking at Mizuno website and against Faldo's profile it states all his 6 majors were won with Mizuno irons - for the 87 Open & 89 Masters he was still carrying a Wilson bag.
i thought i had read that was the case with him & Mizuno are certainly claiming so.

Rich
I seen an interview he did and this is true but he was still under a Wilson contract at first so mizuno made sets that were just left blank and not stamped with any brand

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi

Rich
Never realised that and got use to the sight of Suneson always carrying a Mizuno bag at major events

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
A mate of mine worked for Wilson at that time. I know they made a lot of sets of irons for him that were never quite good enough. Will ask him what SNF was actually using.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honma irons appearing in golf magazine iron reviews this month (GM).

I don’t recall them appearing in the past? They must be throwing some money around and having a go at the European market

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honma irons appearing in golf magazine iron reviews this month (GM).

I don’t recall them appearing in the past? They must be throwing some money around and having a go at the European market

Do we need another club maker in the European market though? People like what they like.. I can’t see them being sooo much better than say a ping or a titliest iron to make people switch in their millions

It’s not like a couple of years ago when cobra launched the one length.. people had a go because it was different To what else was on offer

This is going to be just another iron.. that looks like an iron.. performs like an iron and feels like an iron

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Do we need another club maker in the European market though? People like what they like.. I can’t see them being sooo much better than say a ping or a titliest iron to make people switch in their millions

It’s not like a couple of years ago when cobra launched the one length.. people had a go because it was different To what else was on offer

This is going to be just another iron.. that looks like an iron.. performs like an iron and feels like an iron
You've always been able to buy honma in Europe, just not through your mainstream golf shops. They are built to tighter tolerances, better finish, made from softer steel and do have a better feel. Really really good irons, I've had a set before and probably the best set I've had