Justin Rose - Equipment change

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting. Obviously when you win the Fed Ex Cup and have been world number 1, your stock rises and manufacturers will pay that little bit more to get their clubs in your bag, so maybe not a big surprise that Justin is cashing in on this now.

I remember hearing Tommy Fleetwood say earlier in the year that he specifically didn't want a 13 or 14 club deal, but just wanted to use whatever equipment suited him. He was still using old Nike irons that are no longer manufactured any more.

I would guess he has a big decision to make this winter as not only will he probably need new irons, but signing a 13 or 14 club deal will suddenly be a lot more lucrative than it would have been at this time last year.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Maybe he is looking at going to no specific contract as seems to be becoming the trend nowadays and the 10 million has helped so he doesn't need the equipment deal as much.

D

Deleted member 18588

Might be huge in Asia but if they cant at least spell Coventry correctly on their web site, I think this is not going end well if true

What the hell has the spelling of Coventry got to do with it ?

Certainly will have no bearing on whether Honma could provide Rose with clubs to suit his game.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Interesting. Obviously when you win the Fed Ex Cup and have been world number 1, your stock rises and manufacturers will pay that little bit more to get their clubs in your bag, so maybe not a big surprise that Justin is cashing in on this now.

I remember hearing Tommy Fleetwood say earlier in the year that he specifically didn't want a 13 or 14 club deal, but just wanted to use whatever equipment suited him. He was still using old Nike irons that are no longer manufactured any more.

I would guess he has a big decision to make this winter as not only will he probably need new irons, but signing a 13 or 14 club deal will suddenly be a lot more lucrative than it would have been at this time last year.

Without underplaying Rose and his marketing ability I'm also not sure he'll shift that many clubs for TM.

Tiger, Rory and DJ are quite clearly the "big guns" in that stable then you have guys like Jason Day and Jon Rahm who will in all probability shift as many if not more clubs than Rose will. Of course I have no marketing information or stats to back this claim up, its just a gut feeling that I have.

Rose is smart and can probably bring Honma into the limelight like PXG have done in recent years.

I will reiterate that this is only "rumour" at present.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Good clubs, very good wedges. Bit pricey over here, but maybe they're looking to take on PXG. Have got an old Honma wedge in the garage, picked it up on one of my trips to Japan, I really like them, but they're not in the right price bracket for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yeah he still hits a vapor fly 3 wood as well I think. It does seem that more of the recent opens have been won by golfers who aren't tied to one particular brand.

I know nothing about Honma. Is there a single other PGA or European golfer using their gear at the moment??

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Saw a nice set of Honma clubs earlier in the year in the pro-shop at Carya in Turkey, just 59,569 Euros!!!

I think that was just the irons, wouldn't have to sell too many of them to cover any sponsorship

D

Deleted member 18588

Without underplaying Rose and his marketing ability I'm also not sure he'll shift that many clubs for TM.

Tiger, Rory and DJ are quite clearly the "big guns" in that stable then you have guys like Jason Day and Jon Rahm who will in all probability shift as many if not more clubs than Rose will. Of course I have no marketing information or stats to back this claim up, its just a gut feeling that I have.

Rose is smart and can probably bring Honma into the limelight like PXG have done in recent years.

I will reiterate that this is only "rumour" at present.

According to a marketing "expert" that I spoke to there's only one player whose endorsement will sell sufficient clubs to justify his fee..

Tiger!

None of the others, including Rory, get close.

But if your management team can get you a good deal then good luck.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well, to go from them to signing Justin Rose would be an enormous coup.

Indeed, that's probably what Mark King is trying to achieve!

They certainly produce a wide range of clubs, so should be no problem for Rose to 'adjust'.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
According to a marketing "expert" that I spoke to there's only one player whose endorsement will sell sufficient clubs to justify his fee..

Tiger!

None of the others, including Rory, get close.

But if your management team can get you a good deal then good luck.

any more info on this? Taylor Made signing rory seemed odd at the time and this makes me wonder why they would pay him all that cash

D

Deleted member 18588

any more info on this? Taylor Made signing rory seemed odd at the time and this makes me wonder why they would pay him all that cash

This guy's opinion was that the equipment manufacturers have, over the years, got themselves sucked into an out of control spiral, competing with each other for the signatures of the stars.

His view was that there is now a growing realisation that there may well be less expensive methods of increasing brand awareness.

Certainly when you look at the figures you realise that an awful lot of clubs to cover these deals.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah he still hits a vapor fly 3 wood as well I think. It does seem that more of the recent opens have been won by golfers who aren't tied to one particular brand.

I know nothing about Honma. Is there a single other PGA or European golfer using their gear at the moment??

The majors this year were won by non branded pros were they not?

Koepka and reed both didn’t have deals. Add to this that I just googled and Francesco is a free agent

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think Koepka wasn't signed to Mizuno when they designed the jpx900 tour irons with him in mind. I think he is a Mixuno player now though.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
A few on Ladies Tours and a few on Japan tour.

http://www.honmagolf.co.jp/en/team_honma/

Shan Shan Feng and So Yeon Ryu are fairly well know on the ladies tour. Iwata and Tanihara have made a few appearances on the PGA and European Tour in the last year or so, but that's about it at the moment. Will be quite a coup for Honma if they do pick up Rosey.