Justin Rose - Equipment change

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shan Shan Feng and So Yeon Ryu are fairly well know on the ladies tour. Iwata and Tanihara have made a few appearances on the PGA and European Tour in the last year or so, but that's about it at the moment. Will be quite a coup for Honma if they do pick up Rosey.

Round of applause for throwing those names out. No idea who they are, they could even be made up, but you wrote them with such authority. Fair play (y)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Never heard of him/the brand. Why is he a massive penis?
He used to run Taylormade, and has outspoken views on kit manufacturers designing what they want, and that rules preventing them from doing this should be torn up. He wants 600 yard drives, basically, and is very critical of the rule makers.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Never heard of him/the brand. Why is he a massive penis?

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/ho...ill-blaming-golf-for-his-awful-decisions.html

Here's an item that shows a bit more of his 'talents'. https://www.oregonlive.com/playbooks-profits/index.ssf/2014/04/new_adidas_group_north_america.html

Btw. There has been at least 1 'previous' attempt for a small Japanese company to sign up a top golfer(s) in an attempt to increase profits - Ian Woosnam and Jose Maria Olazabel both used Maruman badged (Miura forged?) gear when winning The Masters. Didn't seem to have the desired effect though!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
https://www.geoffshackelford.com/ho...ill-blaming-golf-for-his-awful-decisions.html

Here's an item that shows a bit more of his 'talents'. https://www.oregonlive.com/playbooks-profits/index.ssf/2014/04/new_adidas_group_north_america.html

Btw. There has been at least 1 'previous' attempt for a small Japanese company to sign up a top golfer(s) in an attempt to increase profits - Ian Woosnam and Jose Maria Olazabel both used Maruman badged (Miura forged?) gear when winning The Masters. Didn't seem to have the desired effect though!

Difference is Honma are far from "SMALL"!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Round of applause for throwing those names out. No idea who they are, they could even be made up, but you wrote them with such authority. Fair play (y)

We do watch a bit of the ladies golf when on, and those two are both well known on the ladies tour. Mrs Wedge is Japanese, so we always keep an eye on Japanese players when they are playing on TV.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It seems a bit of a strange decision for Rose and definitely a blow for TM (though sure they'll be ok!!). I wonder though if players starting to go to more varied manufacturers and perhaps Fleetwood has the right idea by wanting to opt from a full club deal and really pick and choose across the board what works best for him. Not sure where that leaves the big manufacturers wanting to sign the big names to lucrative deals and be the face of their products

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The quality of Honmas irons far exceeds Taylor Mades.

My view is that he’s been no1 in the world and is probably treated as the 5th most important person to the brand (at best) Behind Woods, Rory, DJ and Day.

It’s also imo the reason why Sergio left TM.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The quality of Honmas irons far exceeds Taylor Mades.

My view is that he’s been no1 in the world and is probably treated as the 5th most important person to the brand (at best) Behind Woods, Rory, DJ and Day.

It’s also imo the reason why Sergio left TM.

They all do it for the wonga, don't kid yourself.

I'd take a guess that Fleetwood will have quite a few offers on the table after these past few months.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
They all do it for the wonga, don't kid yourself.

I'd take a guess that Fleetwood will have quite a few offers on the table after these past few months.
You’re agreeing with what I am saying?!? He’s not being paid as he should be at TM

D

Deleted member 15344

I would be very surprised if Rose did leave TM

I think he has been with them since he went Pro ?! And despite not getting the headlines for years he hasn’t appeared to be itching for that staring role - don’t see Rose as being that sort of person

But if he did I would expects it’s because King has promised him the earth

As for the brand - well known in Japan but doubt they would be able to match those levels in Europe

The range does look very large and some shocking looking GI clubs

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't want to put it down solely to this...

But since Garcia left TM and went to Callaway, he has had shocking form.

Would hate to see the same happen to Rose.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't believe you can attribute poor form to switching from TM to Callaway - not for a pro. Either manufacturer are going to make clubs to their exact specification anyway.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't believe you can attribute poor form to switching from TM to Callaway - not for a pro. Either manufacturer are going to make clubs to their exact specification anyway.

I am sure there must be so much more to it than that.

Pro golf at the highest level is such tiny margins. A tiny drop off in performance could be the difference in so many tournaments a year.

Sure marginal gains must come into it, and if you lack a slight bit of confidence in your new club, that is going to affect (effect?) a player.

D

Deleted member 16999

Is that apart from finishing 2 shots behind Rahm in the Dubai Masters in 2017 then winning on the Tour this year in his first event using all Callaway clubs?
Maybe not up to his usual standard, but it’s not down solely to change of Clubs, his wife had a kid and he wouldn’t be the first to have a dip in form following a first Major win.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
only time ive ever seen them in the flesh was the little shop in St Andrews Just down from the R&A clubhouse.

looked nice, very nice, but expensive. maybe if they are trying to crack Europe, now is a good time as even bulk standard clubs coming out not much cheaper from them what i can see

D

Deleted member 18588

I would be very surprised if Rose did leave TM

I think he has been with them since he went Pro ?! And despite not getting the headlines for years he hasn’t appeared to be itching for that staring role - don’t see Rose as being that sort of person

But if he did I would expects it’s because King has promised him the earth

As for the brand - well known in Japan but doubt they would be able to match those levels in Europe

The range does look very large and some shocking looking GI clubs

This would be much more about brand awareness in the States than Europe.

The market in the latter is not big enough to justify big contracts.

As for the GI clubs there are some shocking looking offerings from a number of mfrs. including Ping, TaylorMade and Callaway.