Just starting out...

Miller

Visit site
At over 50 years old, I think I've probably left it a bit late to start learning golf, but that's what I've done through lockdown. Not that I've really learned a great deal so far...

So last year, I bought a second hand set up clubs. They seem ok, if a bit on the over-loved side.

Callaway ERC Fusion driver, TM R580 XD wood, Wilson X31 irons and an elderly Odyssey 2-ball putter. Went to the local pay-per-play range and wasted a lot of money on topping balls in between watching Rick Shiels videos on YouTube.

Then I bought an Amazon Basics practice net for the garden and a launch monitor to try and build up some consistency, which seems to be working to some extent.

At some point, I'll get some lessons in, but at £70 a pop, I really feel the need to get value out of them. I have friends around who also play golf, but I'd rather not look like a complete idiot if they happen to invite me for a round.

So currently, I'm in the back garden dividing shots between the net and the plant borders.

But I'm enjoying the challenge and trying not to look at eBay and club reviews.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never too late, that's one of the beauties of golf I think. £70 seems well steep for lessons though, I'd have thought they could be had for £50-55 in most areas. Still, it's not like you need lessons, just get out and start hitting balls.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome to the game.

Where are you? £70 is expensive for lessons. People on here might be able to suggest a local coach.

Given you are just starting, you won't need Butch Harmon. A cheaper coach (such as an assistant pro) should help with the basics.

Sounds like you are serious about improving. ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Welcome aboard, never too old to start, I didn't take the game up till my 40s.

Lessons is a good start and £70 sounds OK if it's an hour and he is a good one. But don't get too hung up on lessons and practice, the course is much more fun imo. Get out and enjoy a course

Miller

Visit site
I just looked again at the website for my local pay-per-play and the tuition there is £50 an hour.

My local "proper" course is £70 an hour

Tuition Tarrif from April 2021 (bearwoodlakes.co.uk)

And there's a local assistant pro for £50 at another local course. However, I do need to get over the initial hump before I get some formal lessons to help out with my swing.

My end aim is to get some kind of handicap and play some casual rounds without being an embarrassment.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I just looked again at the website for my local pay-per-play and the tuition there is £50 an hour.

My local "proper" course is £70 an hour

Tuition Tarrif from April 2021 (bearwoodlakes.co.uk)

And there's a local assistant pro for £50 at another local course. However, I do need to get over the initial hump before I get some formal lessons to help out with my swing.

My end aim is to get some kind of handicap and play some casual rounds without being an embarrassment.
Cheaper may not be better.

I wouldn't worry about embarrassing yourself, no matter what handicap or how long you have played you will occasionally hit it poorly, that's golf, how often do you see top pros shoot the course record one day and shoot over par the next. Playing on a course is far more enjoyable than a range any day of the week

Miller

Visit site
You clearly haven't seen me play crazy golf.... :D

But seriously, thanks for the encouragement. I might well see if any of my neighbours can get me an invite to a hackaround on a course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You clearly haven't seen me play crazy golf.... :D

But seriously, thanks for the encouragement. I might well see if any of my neighbours can get me an invite to a hackaround on a course.
An invite?? Just find a public pay and play nine holer somewhere, get out there and start hacking. Everyone else will be doing the same. (y)

Miller

Visit site
That's a fair point, but I'd probably appreciate some interaction and advice from someone as I go around. But I'll look around for a pay-per-play course (the place a short walk away from where I live only has pay-per-play ranges).

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Check to see if any local courses run a "get into golf" scheme.

Its an England Golf initiative that includes some lessons, both on technical and etiquette, a limited membership and aims to bring together beginner golfers who are in the same boat, who can arrange games etc. They are usually embarrassingly good value for money!

https://www.englandgolf.org/play-golf/get-into-golf-everyones-welcome/

Last edited:

Miller

Visit site
I should really have rejected the delivery based on the box being damaged like that, but thought that it might only be the box, but it wasn't. The 5 iron is the only one with any visible damage, but I returned the lot.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Hope you got a full refund. My advice is don't go buying brand new clubs just yet. The clubs you describe are very good for getting started
When you have lessons, if it is an assistant pro, ask about what clubs might be suitable for you if you were to consider buying new ones. You are paying him money so he should answer your polite questions.

I hope you will enjoy your first game on a course. Don't try too hard with the big shots (still my main error after 50 years) and plenty of practice at chipping and putting is what is required when starting out.

D

Deleted member 21258

Ouch, bit of a let down when they turned up:eek:

Hope you enjoy it and welcome along to the forum:)

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
My advice would be to get lessons now. My wife decided to take up golf after walking round a few courses with me as I played. As she's a teacher she goes down the teaching route for everything. So she booked a course of lessons without even trying to hit a ball while out with me.
The upshot of this was she was playing off 14 within about a year.

steveb55

Visit site
I'm in a very similar position, having decided to give golf a go (along with the rest of the world) last summer. I also live in a similar area to you @Miller, and pre-lockdown 3, I did a few things to test the waters:
  • I took part in group lessons at Pine Ridge (Camberley). There were 5 lessons, with 6 in the class. Helped with getting a basic idea of grip, stance etc and understanding some basics on how to play different clubs and shots. They were useful for me to figure out whether this was going to be a passing fad or something I wanted to really invest into.
  • I played a couple of rounds of Billingbear Par 3 course, as a single player. It was my first experience of being out on a golf course. They were pretty bad, but it was quiet which allowed me to make some mistakes without feeling I was annoying other, better, players.
  • Looked into a couple of academy memberships in the local area - Sand Martins, Mill Ride etc. All are roughly similar and comprise of a set of lessons, range balls, a number of rounds on the course and group clinics.
  • Did the same thing as you - spent a few quid on range sessions and have worked up a pretty consistent slice ;)

Following lockdown 3, life got in the way of my golf progression, meaning that I've only just been able to dedicate some more time. I've taken out a 6 month academy members at Mill Ride (evening knowing that towards the end of the year playing time might be limited due to the tendency of the course to suffer in wet weather). My plan now is to get to a level where I'm confident enough to not feel out of place on the course. The set of 12 lessons included in the 6-month membership will hopefully help me get there. :)

Miller

Visit site
Yeah, I see that the academy membership costs £775 for 12 rounds, 12 PGA Pro lessons and "lots more". Doing a pay-per-play would be an idea, but I'd be concerned that I'd hold up other players. I think I'll look into some ad-hoc lessons and see if I want to do anything more structured.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I see that the academy membership costs £775 for 12 rounds, 12 PGA Pro lessons and "lots more". Doing a pay-per-play would be an idea, but I'd be concerned that I'd hold up other players. I think I'll look into some ad-hoc lessons and see if I want to do anything more structured.
You shouldn't worry about this, if quicker players come up behind you, you just stand to one side and wave them through, then continue your round.