Who Buys Golf Ballls

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
How did you know the countries worst players played at this particular course? Local knowledge? :ROFLMAO: . That's a crazy amount to find.
The first day I went to a
Place on the back nine. It was unreal. The second night a place in the back nine. Its knowing where most of the bad shots go and don’t get found. 😁
Al thought the best day was when we played and followed the green keepers cutting back the rough. We found just short of 500 balls. We ended up leaving top flights etc. we couldn’t carry them.
The best tool Was
The pitch repairer that helped get out the plugged ones 😁👍

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I buy and usually go for the soft variants of those at the cheaper end of the market e.g Callaway supersoft, mizuno, TM soft and even the inesis soft from decathalon is good value sometimes
I generally only by a dozen at a time of whatever I can get and keep a rolling stock of about 4 doz in the cupboard... which reminds me I need to top it up again

Foundling balls tend to go to my wife for her to use

babylonsinger

Visit site
Tend to only buy a dozen of a new brand to try (recently bought Seed balls after seeing a few mentions on here). Other than that just use balls i find - after reading this thread I'm beginning to consider using the same ball for a few rounds to see if that helps my game a little.

There are a few balls I'd like to try out but out of my price point at the moment

Springveldt

Visit site
I buy balls at the start of the season, usually last years model when they are on offer and as long as they are Urethane covered. Last few seasons I've bought Taylormade Project(a), Bridgestone Tour BRX (2 years in a row) and last year it was Honma TW-X. I've still got 6 balls in the Honma from the 4 dozen I bought last year.

This year I bought Titleist AVX (had tried them in the past without buying lots of them) but I got them from eBay. Got a really good deal on them, got 40 for £40 and they are all in good condition. I think a few of them were probably probably cleaned a bit too vigorously though, maybe boiled clean or something as the cover doesn't feel right so will leave them for the winter. I think I got about 28 good balls that are spotless and the cover feels fine.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Can you do that when it's dusk or does it need to be the dead of night? Gonna have a forage around my club in a few weeks..

Dusk is fine! Just need it to be dark enough that you can see the UV light shining on the ground. Usually 9pm we go out with a few buckets ad backpacks and walk away with thousands of balls a time.

Its just knowing where balls are frequently lost and going there!

Teebs

Visit site
Dusk is fine! Just need it to be dark enough that you can see the UV light shining on the ground. Usually 9pm we go out with a few buckets ad backpacks and walk away with thousands of balls a time.

Its just knowing where balls are frequently lost and going there!

Thanks! A job for one evening next week...

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In comps I’ll play balls I’ve bought, currently working my way through a load of the Honma tw-x variety, and have just bought a dozen of those seed ones to try. It’s probably all in the head, but I prefer the consistency of a decent ball and will tend to stick to the same one until I run out. Nothing else to blame but me, that way.

In casual rounds I play a mix of decent condition premium balls I find (pebbles or crap balls get left where they are) and old balls I’ve used in comps. If it’s a decent pro v1 or tp5 etc, I’ll have it in my back pocket as a provisional during comps. And if it plays well as a provisional it stays as the main ball until I lose it (which is obviously the ball’s fault, not mine!)

Ps - in winter I’ll play anything relatively soft and normally what I’ve found, although I have some orange supersoft for when the sun is low and the course is frozen as I see them better.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am particular about the type of ball I play (3 or more piece urethane covered balls) so I always buy mine. Most balls I find are given away to other players. I probably pick up about 100 balls a year and will only play with about 10 or 15 of the finders

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I do. You never know what state a ball you find is in. It could have been sat in water or mud for a long time.

If I find a clearly new premium ball I will use it for a practice round or in the winter. But if I’m playing a match or putting in a score I will use a ball that I bought new.

There are enough variables in golf without playing a different ball.

I used to buy used balls off Facebook marketplace, but they are a bit sketchy. I’ve hit a few shots that felt ok but had a strange ball flight. Could be me of course, but used balls just add to the doubt.

I tend not to lose too many balls, so the cost is just a small part playing in the grand scheme of things.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
After finding an orange Callaway superhot on a golf course, I like it so bought some. Then they disappeared from sale so I didn't buy anymore. The red ones ones hung around in shops for a bit but it's not a good colour for following and finding.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The first day I went to a
Place on the back nine. It was unreal. The second night a place in the back nine. Its knowing where most of the bad shots go and don’t get found. 😁
Al thought the best day was when we played and followed the green keepers cutting back the rough. We found just short of 500 balls. We ended up leaving top flights etc. we couldn’t carry them.
The best tool Was
The pitch repairer that helped get out the plugged ones 😁👍

I shall be forwarding this posting to the manager of a certain club in north Nottinghamshire.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Thanks! A job for one evening next week...
I have only done it twice with excellent results. I thought I was being wound up when I first went but it’s unbelievable when you see the balls. They light up like Xmas decorations. I have taken a ball retriever with me both times For balls under hedges etc. it’s strange but some places you find one and half a dozen are with a yard or so.
WaIt til The owls hooting and it’s pitch black, that makes yer bum cough. 😁😂

Tashyboy

Visit site
Pauls
I shall be forwarding this posting to the manager of a certain club in north Nottinghamshire.
Paul’s me Bessie pal. 😁👍He has the dunlops off me. Oddly enough Ave never thought about going anywhere else as I don’t know the best ( or worst ) places where balls are Lost on other courses.

sunshine

Visit site
Never bought a ball in my life. I mainly play pro v1 although this year I’ve been playing v1x.

Maybe it’s the courses I play, almost certainly it’s a reflection of my wayward driving, but I find just as many nearly new pro v1’s as I lose.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We had a County Handicap Championship yesterday.?
Rich pickings on the left of the 18th
2 ProV1s, a V1x, a TP5 and a Z Star ◇.....all pristine.
Plus a Supersoft, AD333 and a Soft Feel that I left behind for the Plebs.... ;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We had a County Handicap Championship yesterday.?
Rich pickings on the left of the 18th
2 ProV1s, a V1x, a TP5 and a Z Star ◇.....all pristine.
Plus a Supersoft, AD333 and a Soft Feel that I left behind for the Plebs.... ;)
I would have preferred that you hand them to me in person with the added, "There you go, Pleb." :D
Remember for next time. ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Used to find loads on the course as I knew exactly where to look. Unfortunately we have removed loads of gorse…🙄 - though from golfing and visual perspectives that’s undoubtedly a good thing.

Still finds loads, just not quite as many, and my wife is pleased as I used to come home with scratches bleeding, especially during the summer ‘shorts’ months.

nyckuk

Visit site
I working on the railway and there's a couple of sites with golf holes running parallel with the track , so normally get 20-50 balls and normally get to visit twice a year .
Out of say 40 balls you get 5-10 newish pro V/TP5 , 10 newish other makes , 10 used and 10 only good for our clubs range
Obvisley i keep the best for myself and give the rest away to my son,bother , playing partner and the rest go to our range .