Who Buys Golf Ballls

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Last I bought were the Honma but, TBH, I've loads of unused boxes in the garage as I find enough on my travels and I really don't lose that many. I've never bought a Pro V1 in my life, but played loads. That's the benefit of playing on a better class of golf course. :ROFLMAO:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pick up plenty of decent balls in the hedge to the right of our first hole, so play pickup premiums all year for everything except comps.
Bulk buy previous year posh yellow balls (currently Bridgestone) every few years for comps.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
One of the plus points in playing a resort course is the variety of stamped balls from around the world but also all the tourists who don’t pack balls will buy a few sleeves in the pro-shop, so a lot of the ‘finds’ are one hit wonders

D

Deleted member 25172

Just bought 3 dozen Srixon Z-Star and fully expect to have run out come September. At the very latest. Sad but true.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I bought 200 nike platinum balls which were apparently hit at the range on the European tour. 80p a ball.
Sitting in two big buckets in the garage.
Should take a while to work through them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do. I know that at my level it probably makes very little difference, but I can't help myself - love reading into different golf balls, the MyGolfSpy ball testing, trying to find one that's right for me. I do think if nothing else it removes one variable in a game that has plenty of them. At the moment I've gone back to the Bridgestone RXS which I played a couple of years back - I would play the TaylorMade Tour Response as well, I think they're both very similar in numbers and feel so I'd happily get either/or depending on which one has the better deal on at the time. I only lose a ball every 2 or 3 rounds or so on average so I'm happy to buy them and stick to the same ball.

One ball I can't stand is the ProV1. Whenever I've used one I seem to carve them miles right off the driver, or with irons they just don't travel as far as other balls. Too much spin presumably. I think it's funny how many mid and high handicappers are buying ProV1s because they're "the best" even though they're designed for pros and do nothing help the weekend hacker at all. What a triumph of marketing. I still pick them up when I find one though. Would be like seeing a £2 coin on the ground and leaving it there. 😆

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do. I know that at my level it probably makes very little difference, but I can't help myself - love reading into different golf balls, the MyGolfSpy ball testing, trying to find one that's right for me. I do think it nothing else it removes one variable in a game that has plenty of them. At the moment I've gone back to the Bridgestone RXS which I played a couple of years back - I would play the TaylorMade Tour Response as well, I think they're both very similar in numbers and feel so I'd happily get either/or depending on which one has the better deal on at the time. I only lose a ball every 2 or 3 rounds or so on average so I'm happy to buy them and stick to the same ball.

One ball I can't stand is the ProV1. Whenever I've used one I seem to carve them miles right off the driver, or with irons they just don't travel as far as other balls. Too much spin presumably. I think it's funny how many mid and high handicappers are buying ProV1s because they're "the best" even though they're designed for pros and do nothing help the weekend hacker at all. What a triumph of marketing. I still pick them up when I find one though. Would be like seeing a £2 coin on the ground and leaving it there. 😆

Yeah due to not so good technique I spin far far too high with driver ... My coach is working to get it lower however he said if I use pro v or alike I'll notice them spinning even more lol

Which when I had tp5s for a while I sent them much more sideways than the Wilson's dx2s I had been playing lol

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
generally don’t lose balls (according to @Bratty and @Dando I don’t hit them far enough to lose them).

Anyways,,I’ve always liked the same ball for consistency, for years I used dx3’s and always had a couple of dozen in the garage. 2 years ago (maybe 3) I changed to the supersoft and purchased 10 doz at a knocked down price as an independent local to me was closing down.

Based on my current rate I reckon I use 2 doz a year max so I’m good for a while.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah due to not so good technique I spin far far too high with driver ... My coach is working to get it lower however he said if I use pro v or alike I'll notice them spinning even more lol

Which when I had tp5s for a while I sent them much more sideways than the Wilson's dx2s I had been playing lol
Agreed - I tried the AVX early this year which are meant to be lower spin but still seemed to spin offline more than my Bridgestones, and felt a bit firmer so ultimately I didn't like them a lot.

I must admit though - there's always a fine line between 'ball didn't suit me' and 'I just happened to play crap with that ball'. 😄

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed - I tried the AVX early this year which are meant to be lower spin but still seemed to spin offline more than my Bridgestones, and felt a bit firmer so ultimately I didn't like them a lot.

I must admit though - there's always a fine line between 'ball didn't suit me' and 'I just happened to play crap with that ball'. 😄

I've found ad333 to suit me best and given me the best flight considering my below average skill set lol

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do. I know that at my level it probably makes very little difference, but I can't help myself - love reading into different golf balls, the MyGolfSpy ball testing, trying to find one that's right for me. I do think it nothing else it removes one variable in a game that has plenty of them. At the moment I've gone back to the Bridgestone RXS which I played a couple of years back - I would play the TaylorMade Tour Response as well, I think they're both very similar in numbers and feel so I'd happily get either/or depending on which one has the better deal on at the time. I only lose a ball every 2 or 3 rounds or so on average so I'm happy to buy them and stick to the same ball.

Understand what you’re saying about hackers using pro v1 but paradoxically, don’t mygolfspy results normally show that it’s the best ball for everyone, including hackers? I’m sure they pretty much say buy the best you can afford.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I dislike the AD333!! It feels like a squash ball off the face and horrible round the green... in my view. But they sell millions!

I tend to use them in winter but used them yesterday as I was doing the 72 hole challenge and didn’t want to lose the z stars as we weren’t looking for any wayward balls.
Typically I didn’t lose a single ball

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I buy Bridgestone Brxs when on offer.
I use a new ball for every comp
they go in the bag for social golf.
I play the same ball every time I play .
I was lake ball AVXs in the main and a new one for comps like yourself. However a friend put me on to Seed golf balls and they play like premium balls but are only 22p more new than a pearl AVX lake ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Understand what you’re saying about hackers using pro v1 but paradoxically, don’t mygolfspy results normally show that it’s the best ball for everyone, including hackers? I’m sure they pretty much say buy the best you can afford.
Well that's a matter of a opinion when you look at the numbers. They do say premium balls are best for everyone, but not necessarily the ProV1. I believe it was still one of the longest at every speed, but it's a high spinning ball, so you're likely to fade/slice it more, and iron distance was down at slow speeds as well. Bridgestone RXS for example is still a premium ball but it's aimed more towards slower swing speeds.

LizAig

Visit site
I bought two boxes recently - first time in years.at the back of my cupboard I still have a couple of boxes of Nike RZN to use up!

sunshine

Visit site
I bought two boxes recently - first time in years.at the back of my cupboard I still have a couple of boxes of Nike RZN to use up!

I found a dozen of those Nike balls in a cupboard last year and used them up. They were probably 10 years old but great.

Would be good to robot test every year of the pro v1, which is allegedly better every year, and see if there is much (any) difference.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Used Seed golf balls for the first time today. All my PP commented on how far my drives where going.
For a three piece ball with a urethane cover I think I've found my replacement for the Honma TWX that I loved. And not too bad a price.