Just had my irons lie angles bent… sorry had to share

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’m beginning to think I’ve been doing this wrong and if there’s only 29 yards flat carry between my 9 and 5 iron then surely I’ll be in a lot of trouble when it comes to overcoming certain obstacles on the course.
That's an indication that you aren't hitting you 5i as well as you should! That's why I suggested that you should either drop it or improve your 5i striking.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Instead on making another thread I’ll post this here as crow has bought to my attention a very valid point.

I’ve never even bothered to pay attention to flat carry and when selecting a club during a round I always decide by their total distance travelled.

I’m beginning to think I’ve been doing this wrong and if there’s only 29 yards flat carry between my 9 and 5 iron then surely I’ll be in a lot of trouble when it comes to overcoming certain obstacles on the course.

I‘m always surprised when people only know their total distances, when I started I just assumed carry distance was the important one.
How firm the ground is, landing on green or fairway, wind (affecting descent angle), upslope/downslope and probably many more I can’t think of off the top of my head will all affect how far a ball rolls out even with identical hits.

No offence to anyone that does this; 2 of the 4 ball I normally play in only know total distance and they get on just fine as they are, but struggle sometimes when there’s trouble to carry near the green.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I‘m always surprised when people only know their total distances, when I started I just assumed carry distance was the important one.
How firm the ground is, landing on green or fairway, wind (affecting descent angle), upslope/downslope and probably many more I can’t think of off the top of my head will all affect how far a ball rolls out even with identical hits.

No offence to anyone that does this; 2 of the 4 ball I normally play in only know total distance and they get on just fine as they are, but struggle sometimes when there’s trouble to carry near the green.

So you’d say flat carry is far more important than total distance when roaming around the course?

I think I need to re-evaluate how I select my clubs moving forward.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So you’d say flat carry is far more important than total distance when roaming around the course?

I think I need to re-evaluate how I select my clubs moving forward.

Absolutely, yes.

Say I have 160 to the pin. Soft conditions and green sloping back to front I’m taking the club that carries 160 because it’ll stop within a few feet at most. Firm conditions and green sloping away I might take my 140 club. Obviously there’s in betweens as well.

If there’s a bunker in a fairway on the line I want to aim I need to know if I can fly it rather than roll past it.

Theres also situations where you need a total distance like running out of fairway or laying up to a hazard, but knowing carry and course conditions you can usually figure out the club that will stay short of it.

Since you have both numbers there’s no harm in knowing them both, but remember to adjust the total yardage based on conditions if you ever use it.

phillarrow

Visit site
Yes flat carry is the one to focus on. Looking at this alone, it looks like your gapping issue goes right through your bag - it's just worse at the top end. I missed this on the other thread because I was so taken by your length (fnaarr fnaarr)!
I wonder if those one length irons just don't suit you?

But - and it's a fairly big but in my opinion - I'm not convinced about the reliability of Top Tracer. My gapping for flat carry on top tracer is all over the place and the yardage for total carry is a fair bit less than I see in the course. Compared to what I see on the course, and the readings I get from Shot Scope on the course, Top Tracer bears little resemblance.
Shot Scope (or Arccos) can't give you flat carry distances, but at this time of year you can use them to work it out as there is so little run.

If I were you, I'd book myself in for a gapping session - ideally one where you're hitting off grass if possible. ?

D

Deleted member 23270

If I were you I'd change those irons for a set that gives a more balanced range of distances. I've never been convinced that single length irons work.

Edit: posted same time as bobmac above

Boomy

Visit site
Yes flat carry is the one to focus on. Looking at this alone, it looks like your gapping issue goes right through your bag - it's just worse at the top end. I missed this on the other thread because I was so taken by your length (fnaarr fnaarr)!
I wonder if those one length irons just don't suit you?

But - and it's a fairly big but in my opinion - I'm not convinced about the reliability of Top Tracer. My gapping for flat carry on top tracer is all over the place and the yardage for total carry is a fair bit less than I see in the course. Compared to what I see on the course, and the readings I get from Shot Scope on the course, Top Tracer bears little resemblance.
Shot Scope (or Arccos) can't give you flat carry distances, but at this time of year you can use them to work it out as there is so little run.

If I were you, I'd book myself in for a gapping session - ideally one where you're hitting off grass if possible. ?

Balls! It’s likely down to the range balls - they reckon it’s easily a 10% loss of actual distance due to the low quality of range balls.

I use the measured flags at the range for short game practice and the TT data as a rough guide for carry (which is all we need, unless a pro level golfer)

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Yeah I wouldn't be reliant on toptracer for getting my distances, at the one near me I'm incapable of getting over 180 yards carry with anything apart from driver (and even then, only just).

Whereas on course I'm hitting the same clubs into our 200 yard par 3 and landing it on the green so go figure.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Thanks for the comments it’s greatly appreciated.

My plan of attack now will be to call American Golf this morning and book myself in for a ‘gapping’ session to compare their systems stats to the ones I have on toptracer. Other than that I might locate myself a trackman and compare again.

A new set of clubs down the line is a no brainer but I’m in no rush to get some just yet due to the fact I’m still learning the game. There’s so much of the basics that I am still trying to grasp where my game struggles a lot and once I feel I’ve come to a point where I’m confident in most areas will be the time I look towards something else. I feel I’m a couple years off this minimum.

I’ve come a long way since April so I’m very happy with my progress but this ‘honeymoon’ phase hasn’t fizzled out in the slightest, if anything it’s got worse.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A new set of clubs down the line is a no brainer but I’m in no rush to get some just yet due to the fact I’m still learning the game. There’s so much of the basics that I am still trying to grasp where my game struggles a lot and once I feel I’ve come to a point where I’m confident in most areas will be the time I look towards something else. I feel I’m a couple years off this minimum.

And will this new set be all the same length?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
And will this new set be all the same length?

Definitely not. I’m treating these clubs as a beginner set now when I originally believed they would last me for over 5+ years.

Just to put you in the picture I got fitted for clubs at AG last May and they recommended me the Wilson D9’s which I bought. I went in the next day, saw the One Lengths on the shelf and immediately cancelled my order for the D9’s and went ahead with the 1L. It was a rush of blood to the head and have never really looked back, until now.

The last couple of days on this forum have been informative to say the least and it’s been a great insight into what I now know about my clubs.

Kudos

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Definitely not. I’m treating these clubs as a beginner set now when I originally believed they would last me for over 5+ years.

Just to put you in the picture I got fitted for clubs at AG last May and they recommended me the Wilson D9’s which I bought. I went in the next day, saw the One Lengths on the shelf and immediately cancelled my order for the D9’s and went ahead with the 1L. It was a rush of blood to the head and have never really looked back, until now.

The last couple of days on this forum have been informative to say the least and it’s been a great insight into what I now know about my clubs.

Kudos

I've got the D9's - really good clubs in my opinion. Made a mistake there!

I will say - if you're after something a bit better, the Wilson Model CB's are seriously nice irons and that next step up! Give them a try at some point if you are upgrading!

benjo09

Visit site
When you get on a proper launch monitor also have a look at your descent angles. 35* with a 7 iron isn't going to hold many greens, hence seeing 26 yards of roll. 45* is what you should be around.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if these numbers are a little wrong from Top Tracer. I was at a range with it that had my 7 iron launching at 30* which was nothing like the ball flight I was seeing. Jumped on a GC Quad the next day and was launching my usual 17* so they can be quite wrong.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I've got the D9's - really good clubs in my opinion. Made a mistake there!

I will say - if you're after something a bit better, the Wilson Model CB's are seriously nice irons and that next step up! Give them a try at some point if you are upgrading!

Apparently those D9’s are one of the most forgiving irons out there. Gutted I never got to play with them.

I don't think you'll regret that decision.

When looking for a new set, here's what I would suggest...
3 wood around 15 deg and a 5 wood about 19 degrees
3 and 4 hybrid, maybe 5 too....6 to PW (46 deg) GW 52 and SW 58
Putter.
Maybe add a driver later.

I have a 5 wood Ping G30 and and Ping G425 driver which I’m pretty content with.

Need to look into my Hybrids for sure and wedges once my short game improves.

My putter is a standard TM blade which has the potential to stick in my bag for a while.

Maybe in a couple years i’ll end up selling the lot and invest in a whole new bag.

When you get on a proper launch monitor also have a look at your descent angles. 35* with a 7 iron isn't going to hold many greens, hence seeing 26 yards of roll. 45* is what you should be around.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if these numbers are a little wrong from Top Tracer. I was at a range with it that had my 7 iron launching at 30* which was nothing like the ball flight I was seeing. Jumped on a GC Quad the next day and was launching my usual 17* so they can be quite wrong.

I play the approach game on Toptracer and I have this exact problem when holding the greens on there.

What I think I really need to do is get a few rounds under my belt and see how it works in reality as those numbers sound a bit worrying especially when you more experienced guys on here know what you are looking for.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Just booked myself in with AG and he explained that the TT monitors are accurate within 5 yards where as AG’s system get you within 2 yards.

Also he mentioned there is a function on the TT system known as ‘ball normalisation’ which can work out what a normal ball fly’s at compared to the range balls they use. This is something I am unaware of and not too sure which function I have been using?

Now looking forward to this session as I’m sure my stats will be much more complete and interested to see how much difference it throws out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just booked myself in with AG and he explained that the TT monitors are accurate within 5 yards where as AG’s system get you within 2 yards.

Also he mentioned there is a function on the TT system known as ‘ball normalisation’ which can work out what a normal ball fly’s at compared to the range balls they use. This is something I am unaware of and not too sure which function I have been using?

Now looking forward to this session as I’m sure my stats will be much more complete and interested to see how much difference it throws out.
I was thinking this, but I wasn't going to say it in case it looked like I was jealously belittling your distances that you posted. ? But there is usually a compensation for range balls programmed in on TopTracer I believe, and there is a small chance they overcompensate and render it slightly inaccurate.

If you do get a different set of irons fitted, you may even look to sacrifice a bit of distance for more spin and thus holding power, as others have said, hitting a 7 iron that rolls 30 odd yards isn't massively helpful when it comes to finding greens.