Just had my irons lie angles bent… sorry had to share

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Only started playing properly last year. Got cut from 23 to 20. Hes put in serious work since and is a complete bandit at the minute. Ready to drop well into the teens once the season starts.

SNAP!

Yesterday I scraped together 10 cards I had kept with me throughout last summer / autumn which my club were happy to accept for my first handicap. I’ve got a feeling i’m going to be around the same mark as your mate and i’m absolutely buzzing to enter my first stableford which will be in around two weeks.

It’s pretty much what I’ve been building myself up for these last 12 months.

Edit: I’ve just checked their system and it’s already uploaded. 17.7 !

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
SNAP!

Yesterday I scraped together 10 cards I had kept with me throughout last summer / autumn which my club were happy to accept for my first handicap. I’ve got a feeling i’m going to be around the same mark as your mate and i’m absolutely buzzing to enter my first stableford which will be in around two weeks.

It’s pretty much what I’ve been building myself up for these last 12 months.

Edit: I’ve just checked their system and it’s already uploaded. 17.7 !

Your off and running. Happy days.

My mate had a wicked hook and hes worked at bringing that under control. Even as much as hitting a fade off the tee.
He lives 5mins from his club and went from being brutal at putting to absolutely deadly inside 10 feet. Huge change.
His chipping has improved too.
Bunkers are a bit of a weakness tbf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I understand I will have to now put my cards in after each round but do these handicaps get updated each round ?

Your card will go in automatically if you enter a club competition, otherwise you can choose to put a card in any time you want but you should enter your intention to do so before you play, using one of the Apps such as the England Golf app.

Well done on the new handicap. (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am I right in thinking not to bother putting in my card if I have a stinker?

No

If you commit to putting in a General Play card before you go out it must be submitted.

As a general rule really bad rounds do not affect handicap until you have 20 cards in and only then if they knockout a really good one from your counting 8.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You landing angles are crazy low.
Have you taken the clubs on course yet?
Might not be an issue at this time of year, but come the warmer drier weather your not going to be holding greens.

Your comment made me go back and look.

I have been watching a lot of You Tube videos lately for club reviews and one thing I learnt from them is better players are looking for an angle of descent from 7 iron of around 50 degrees.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Are you talking about my launch degree which says 13 degree average for my 7i ?

nah angle of descent when the ball comes down

A better launch monitor will give you that info probs find it out at AG

If you’ve got a coach just listen to him don’t get tips off here or YouTube

And congrats on being a 17.7 handicap get yourself into competitions next season and clean up

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You are making progress. Stick to the advice your pro is giving and don't try and go down the youtube route as it'll only confuse matters. Keep filming the swing as much as possible and sending it to the pro so he can keep tabs on your practice.

For me its simple. If you are on the way to getting a repeatable swing, stick with it. Your focus needs to move to all things short game as irrespective of one length, blades, cavity back or whatever irons you use you'll miss greens and need to get up and down. Make sure you can at least get out of bunkers first time even if that's into two putt country. Work on your short putting and get confident holing out. There is a lot to be excited about

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No

If you commit to putting in a General Play card before you go out it must be submitted.

As a general rule really bad rounds do not affect handicap until you have 20 cards in and only then if they knockout a really good one from your counting 8.
Doesn't need to be a 'really good one', just the oldest of the counting 8! Then it depends on the difference between the one it bumps and the one that replaces it. Though, obviously, more likely to have an effect if the one dropped was particularly good.

Last edited:

Bamberdele21

Visit site
You are making progress. Stick to the advice your pro is giving and don't try and go down the youtube route as it'll only confuse matters. Keep filming the swing as much as possible and sending it to the pro so he can keep tabs on your practice.

For me its simple. If you are on the way to getting a repeatable swing, stick with it. Your focus needs to move to all things short game as irrespective of one length, blades, cavity back or whatever irons you use you'll miss greens and need to get up and down. Make sure you can at least get out of bunkers first time even if that's into two putt country. Work on your short putting and get confident holing out. There is a lot to be excited about

Buzzing is an understatement.

During my last lesson we did a quick short game bit where he asked me which club I’d use within 100 yards. I explained my lob wedge to which he said it was the worst club in the bag to use ?

He then taught me to basically use my PW to 100 yards and my GW and SW for anything inbetween. Now what he showed me was to keep the majority of my weight to my left foot with a very closed stance with the ball on the inside of my right foot using a swing that is so unnatural to me.

I’ve practiced the swing with a few balls and it seems extremely difficult to execute. Obviously I’ll get better over time but is this really the approach most players go with?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Buzzing is an understatement.

During my last lesson we did a quick short game bit where he asked me which club I’d use within 100 yards. I explained my lob wedge to which he said it was the worst club in the bag to use ?

He then taught me to basically use my PW to 100 yards and my GW and SW for anything inbetween. Now what he showed me was to keep the majority of my weight to my left foot with a very closed stance with the ball on the inside of my right foot using a swing that is so unnatural to me.

I’ve practiced the swing without a ball and it seems extremely difficult to execute. Obviously I’ll get better over time but is this really the approach most players go with?

I'm not a fan of using one one club for a set distance. Once you have a repeatable swing, and I'm confused why he would have you set up so closed when most teaching would have your stance open with maybe the left foot flared open, you should have some fun and learn how to use different clubs to get different flights and roll out. It'll give you far more variation