Loft and lie

Jason.H

Visit site
I have noticed with my irons that I hit with a slight fade. All my wood/hybrids have a very slight left bias so I’ve had my irons checked and noticed they are a fraction toe down through impact. So had them bent 1 degree upright to get them more neutral. Tried them on the course today and I know it’s just 1 degree and I can’t notice it visually but I was setting up square to my target line and got a nice straight ball flight. Lofts were also checked and adjusted where needed to standard My pro only charged me £10, not seen him yet to thank him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my iron fitting last year I discovered that although I address the ball with the toe slightly up, I strike it with the toe slightly down somehow. When he gave me a club with the angle adjusted upright though, I started hitting big draws and we agreed that I didn't want to go down that route. Just left them as standard in the end and stuck with the fade.

Jason.H

Visit site
Yes I guess the weight of the head during the swing magnifies so much the shaft bends a the toe dips. I marked a few balls with a vertical line and hit them and yes I decided on 1 degree upright. So far pleased with the straight flight

Jason.H

Visit site
So I had my irons adjusted to 1 degree upright and been really pleased with the slight draw which falls in line with my fairway woods and hybrids. My pro mentioned that the lofts were slightly weak on 7/6 irons so also put them to standard. Probably the prolonged range mat bashing over winter took its toll 🤣😂

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've only ever had one of my iron sets done for loft and lie and I remember how nice the divots were after. Nice clean uniform divots.

Have no idea why I havnt done it since. Laziness probably.

Maybe I'll get it done this year and see. Nothing to lose.

Jason.H

Visit site
I've only ever had one of my iron sets done for loft and lie and I remember how nice the divots were after. Nice clean uniform divots.

Have no idea why I havnt done it since. Laziness probably.

Maybe I'll get it done this year and see. Nothing to lose.

Not sure what most people pay but he only charged £10

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have noticed with my irons that I hit with a slight fade. All my wood/hybrids have a very slight left bias so I’ve had my irons checked and noticed they are a fraction toe down through impact. So had them bent 1 degree upright to get them more neutral. Tried them on the course today and I know it’s just 1 degree and I can’t notice it visually but I was setting up square to my target line and got a nice straight ball flight. Lofts were also checked and adjusted where needed to standard My pro only charged me £10, not seen him yet to thank him.
If you go for a proper fitting the last thing you should do is hit some balls of a strike board. Also, you have tape on the sole that marks up when it hits the board. Depending on where the mark appears determines whether you need to be toe up or toe down.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure what most people pay but he only charged £10

My pro doesn’t have a loft and lie machine. I have taken clubs to another nearby club to have lies altered (eBay made me buy them!) and they charge £3 per club.

I have my current irons 2 degrees flat which doesn’t sound a lot, but when I warmed up at a driver fitting with a standard lie 7 iron it looked almost un-hittable at address.
I must get my lofts checked because it can’t be me getting old making me lose distance 🤣

Jason.H

Visit site
If you go for a proper fitting the last thing you should do is hit some balls of a strike board. Also, you have tape on the sole that marks up when it hits the board. Depending on where the mark appears determines whether you need to be toe up or toe down.

I bought them 2nd hand standard lie and length. I thought they were about right but marked a couple of balls with a vertical line and hit them and it showed a fraction toe down through impact.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My pro doesn’t have a loft and lie machine. I have taken clubs to another nearby club to have lies altered (eBay made me buy them!) and they charge £3 per club.

I have my current irons 2 degrees flat which doesn’t sound a lot, but when I warmed up at a driver fitting with a standard lie 7 iron it looked almost un-hittable at address.
I must get my lofts checked because it can’t be me getting old making me lose distance 🤣

I'm pretty sure I could do with them being bent as my pw and 9 iron feel really awkward at address. Feel like I need to raise my hands up to stop them hooking.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Had mine done recently for the exact same reason. The old setup was killing my game.

Had this done at my fitting and still needed the adjustment years later.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I had mine checked this weekend, 7 out of the 10 needed altering.

Most were 1 degree weak but a couple were 2 weak so 5yds of my loss of distance isn’t my fault :)
A few had also gone 0.5 or 1 degree flat but 1 was 2 flat so well worth the £21 it cost me.