Loft and lie check how often?

HPIMG

Visit site
I was just wondering how often if ever do people get there loft and lie checked ? Think my irons are about 18months old now and was thinking about maybe having them looked at ?

D

Deleted member 15344

I was just wondering how often if ever do people get there loft and lie checked ? Think my irons are about 18months old now and was thinking about maybe having them looked at ?

Depends on what irons you have

If they are cast then you shouldn’t need them checking too often - forged maybe a little different

But the pro at our place does it for me when the clubs are regripped every year

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In 2013 I suspected something wrong with my year old forged irons as the gapping didn’t seem right. 5 yards between 9i and wedge, 30 yards between 8i - 9i and then everything through was 15yards.

My 9i had the same loft as my wedge.

That’s the only time I’ve had my l&l checked and I’ve played forged irons since 2012

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Club pro was fascinated by one of my sets. He grabbed the 7 and 9 iron out of my bag and put them in his gadget to measure the lofts.
I imagine that was the first time it had been done since they left the factory 60 years earlier. He did not charge me anything.

That's the only time I've had it done.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never done it, but I skim the grass and rarely put pressure on the heads. If you are brutal in your ball striking, into the turf etc, then it may be worthwhile. If not, I wouldn't worry.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
As I understand it, OEMs are legally allowed a 3° tolerance in lofts. As such, there is a school of thought that says it's worth checking. If you see no difference between two irons, chances are the lofts are off.
When I was fitted for irons it was suggested 2° upright would be good. Received from Mizuno and I had them checked. The lofts were as should be bar one club with a 1° discrepancy. The lie was as should be.
After two years, I felt my ball striking was off. Had them checked at the range for free and sure enough, some of them had altered due to prolonged range practice on mats.
Would I do it out of curiosity? No.
Would I do it if I feel something's off? Yes.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought some second-hand clubs (7-8 years old) and had them checked out of curiosity. They were all bang on, no adjustment necessary. That's the only time I've bothered.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tend to get my wedges, 9 and 8 looked at in the Spring as I do a lot of practice off range mats and even though they are Ping I series except for Glide 3 52 and 58 degree wedges I like to make sure they haven't moved. Pro good enough to do it for free so a no brainer

HPIMG

Visit site
I’m definitely going to get mine done, think I’ll hold off till start of the season because I have been going to the range quite a bit just because it’s winter and weathers been horrible lately.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only ever had them checked once. A few years ago I bought a second hand set of Titleist CBs. Straight from the off it was clear that the 8 iron was out as it went just as far as the 7 iron. The loft was 3° strong and the 7 iron was 2° weak. Hitting loads of balls off firm mats is a possible cause of making the lofts move.