Just had my irons lie angles bent… sorry had to share

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Just booked myself in with AG and he explained that the TT monitors are accurate within 5 yards where as AG’s system get you within 2 yards.

Also he mentioned there is a function on the TT system known as ‘ball normalisation’ which can work out what a normal ball fly’s at compared to the range balls they use. This is something I am unaware of and not too sure which function I have been using?

Now looking forward to this session as I’m sure my stats will be much more complete and interested to see how much difference it throws out.

Honestly with that speed you won’t often need to hit the long irons :ROFLMAO:

How’s your 100 yards and in game

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I was thinking this, but I wasn't going to say it in case it looked like I was jealously belittling your distances that you posted. ? But there is usually a compensation for range balls programmed in on TopTracer I believe, and there is a small chance they overcompensate and render it slightly inaccurate.

If you do get a different set of irons fitted, you may even look to sacrifice a bit of distance for more spin and thus holding power, as others have said, hitting a 7 iron that rolls 30 odd yards isn't massively helpful when it comes to finding greens.

I guess this is where people start looking towards the ‘blade’ type of iron? Something I don’t really understand but know all the better players use them.

Honestly with that speed you won’t often need to hit the long irons :ROFLMAO:

How’s your 100 yards and in game

By high and far the weakest area of my game. It costs me around 5 strokes per round minimum. Around the green especially.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I guess this is where people start looking towards the ‘blade’ type of iron? Something I don’t really understand but know all the better players use them.

By high and far the weakest area of my game. It costs me around 5 strokes per round minimum. Around the green especially.

Or adapt slightly so your ball flight is higher etc. You don't ever need blades to get a low HC - plenty of low guys on this forum just using forged or cavity backs.

If my 9 iron rolled out 30 yards id call that an awful strike personally - unless in the height of summer on bone dry fairways/ greens.

It is all relative though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mm, not necessarily. There's a lot of different types of iron in between these days. It may even simply be because you were using one lengths and a 'normal' set would give you a better flight. Probably why it's worth doing a fitting and trying a few different ones.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Got you.

It’s thrown my assumption of this part of the game completely out the window.

I was under the impression that because I was getting decent distance and they weren’t too far offline it basically meant I was doing more than good, and comparing it all to the last few months before my lesson where I would be hitting balls either fat / thin I was more than happy with what I was seeing now.

But it just goes to show I have been looking at data wrong all this time. Couple days on this forum and I’m thinking about the game in a whole different light which is great because I can already sense I’m getting better just by learning what you guys have explained.

I know I’m only scratching the surface aswell. Can’t wait to learn about the other areas.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got you.

It’s thrown my assumption of this part of the game completely out the window.

I was under the impression that because I was getting decent distance and they weren’t too far offline it basically meant I was doing more than good, and comparing it all to the last few months before my lesson where I would be hitting balls either fat / thin I was more than happy with what I was seeing now.

But it just goes to show I have been looking at data wrong all this time. Couple days on this forum and I’m thinking about the game in a whole different light which is great because I can already sense I’m getting better just by learning what you guys have explained.

I know I’m only scratching the surface aswell. Can’t wait to learn about the other areas.
Maybe you are thinking too much and tinkering too much.

As you are new to the game, just concentrate on hitting the ball consistently and don't worry too much about numbers, etc (apart from distance;)). I have a feeling you have a very enquiring, scientific mind and are in danger in drowning in stats, etc. A bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing, and you are getting lots form this forum - some of which is conflicting so you could end up paralysed with data.

Just my thoughts, just to further confuse you :)

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Maybe you are thinking too much and tinkering too much.

As you are new to the game, just concentrate on hitting the ball consistently and don't worry too much about numbers, etc (apart from distance;)). I have a feeling you have a very enquiring, scientific mind and are in danger in drowning in stats, etc. A bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing, and you are getting lots form this forum - some of which is conflicting so you could end up paralysed with data.

Just my thoughts, just to further confuse you :)

I imagine there are a good few ‘old school’ guys on here that would never of been in a position I am in now when they first started playing and I’m trying to best to use this to my advantage.

The data and numbers that I have recorded on my phone from TT are brilliant to analyse and I feel quite fortunate to be in an era where they are all so easily available.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I imagine there are a good few ‘old school’ guys on here that would never of been in a position I am in now when they first started playing and I’m trying to best to use this to my advantage.

The data and numbers that I have recorded on my phone from TT are brilliant to analyse and I feel quite fortunate to be in an era where they are all so easily available.

There are yeah, but I'm 28, young fit and healthy - there's a real mix! You should get yourself signed up for one of the meets this year, putting a face to a name makes a big difference!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a set of one length a couple of years ago, I really like them but I had the same issue, PW to 7 iron spot on but the 6 and 5 iron went the same distance which was roughly 5 yards longer than the 7 iron. My iron striking is much better now so I do wonder if those distance issues would be improved ?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
There are yeah, but I'm 28, young fit and healthy - there's a real mix! You should get yourself signed up for one of the meets this year, putting a face to a name makes a big difference!

Any excuse for me to get out the house so say no more!

I had a set of one length a couple of years ago, I really like them but I had the same issue, PW to 7 iron spot on but the 6 and 5 iron went the same distance which was roughly 5 yards longer than the 7 iron. My iron striking is much better now so I do wonder if those distance issues would be improved ?

I haven’t really given them too much of a chance so let’s see how this summer plays out. When I go on abroad in the summer I will be leaving the 5 and 6i at home and will use the spare luggage weight to pack pants and socks.

Plus we all to see you smash that 7 iron 200 yards ???

I’m pretty sure that I could hit a ‘normal’ 7 iron a bit further than the one lengths I currently have. Reason being all my clubs are the size of an 8i.

Will test one out tomorrow at AG and see what differences are throwing out.

I’m really setting myself up here aint i. I’m up for it though just give me a time and place and I’m there

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Any excuse for me to get out the house so say no more!

I haven’t really given them too much of a chance so let’s see how this summer plays out. When I go on abroad in the summer I will be leaving the 5 and 6i at home and will use the spare luggage weight to pack pants and socks.

I’m pretty sure that I could hit a ‘normal’ 7 iron a bit further than the one lengths I currently have. Reason being all my clubs are the size of an 8i.

Will test one out tomorrow at AG and see what differences are throwing out.

I’m really setting myself up here aint i. I’m up for it though just give me a time and place and I’m there

You are not the first and you wont be the last. I think most people here would be impressed if they were watching someone hit a standard 7 iron 200 yards. That really is insane distance. Every par 5 is reachable with only 3 irons...

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

yep i know someone who had an unbelievable swing speed used to play cricket only played off 10 because he struggled with the 30-100 yard shots. we went round a par 3 course prior to a round once and there were a few 70-90 yard holes and he just didn't know what to do

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Question id be interested in hearing you answer...

Say you want to hit a green thats 185 away, on a pan flat british summers day... what clib would you hit?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Just dropped my coach a msg and he’s adamant my clubs are fine but to promote better gapping with my 5 and 6i I need to improve my swing, my dynamic loft in particular.

Seen as I’m setting up the same way he says I need to gain more height with my 5 and 6i and to do this I need work on my address (ball more on inside of my left leg focusing on wrist angles and motion)

Does this make sense to anyone and if it does can anyone explain what he means by wrist angles and motion?