Irons.

Stumac94

Visit site
I’m thinking of getting a new set of irons later in the year.

I’m currently using and have been for many years Mizuno MX-19 irons. There’s nothing wrong with them, I’d even go as far as to say I love them but I’ve had them for nearly 15 years.

My question is has the tech improved as much with Irons as it has with drivers and fairway woods to make it worth while changing or is having clubs you’re comfortable with just as important? Would you change clubs just because they’re old?

Im an improving mid handicap golfer currently playing of around 16. (I was this last year I don’t play over the winter in the uk😂)

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Welcome to the forum....hope you've bought biscuits...;)
MX19s....15/16 years old now.
I think you'll see some significant performance gains, especially from off centre strikes and distance.
Distance will be down to stronger lofts...MX19 has lofts si ilar to the current "players" irons...34° 7 iron, 46° PW
Expect comparable modern irons to be 30 and 43ish
The ball will still fly at a 7 iron height but the weighting of the head, designed to get the ball, up in the air easier, means the stronger loft send the ball further..
This could impact your other clubs - longest iron will be closer to your fairways and wedge will be further from your other wedges...
Many don't like "jacked" lofts but the way to do it is ignore the number on the sole...you may only need 6-pw to cover your distances.
If you want to stick with Mizuno the JPX Hot Metal or HMPro are probably the modern equivalent

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much as per Imurgs comments.

There is a lot more variety in shafts these days and fitting can be important in that respect.
A few manufacturers have gone for forged frames with thinner faces and tungsten weights to precisely position for either forgiveness or more weight in the impact area.

My own experience with many clubs in that time is that there has been no real distance gains when comparing true like for like i.e lofts and head design ie heel/ toe or muscle back or marginal gains at the best.

Stumac94

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone it’s much appreciated. I think a fitting is definitely the way forward. I’m not precious about brands so will happily go with the best fit. Though those Mizunos do look lovely. 😂

Skytot

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone it’s much appreciated. I think a fitting is definitely the way forward. I’m not precious about brands so will happily go with the best fit. Though those Mizunos do look lovely. 😂
That’s the way I looked at it when I went for my fitting . I was always biased towards Mizuno but I tried about 5 brands in the studio , with nothing standing out . We went out to the outside grass driving range and the Mizuno 923 HM came into their own . Which I was more than happy with . If you decide to go to a Mizuno fitter they have you using a Shaft Optimizer. Basically it’s a 7 iron with some Bluetooth gadget that after 3 swings it gives the fitter 3 recommend shafts that suit you .