Club Fitting

Elrow

Visit site
Looking for some advice on getting clubs fitted.

I’ve recently joined a local club after taking 4 years away from the game. I’ve currently got mizuno mx-15 irons that I’ve had since I was a teen. Think it’s time to get myself a upgrade and would like advice on where to go and who to avoid. I’m in the Glasgow area and would be looking for somewhere local. My driver has also been damaged so would be looking to replace that also.

I’ve read in the past to avoid AG at all costs. Is this still the general feeling towards them? I’ve been looking at affordable golf and noticed they have fitting available for a small cost. Is there much difference from these places and say an independent fitter?

Thanks in advance.

RRidges

Visit site
Nothing wrong with MX15s. Irons have improved in some areas since they came out, but a lot of that is simply by tweaking lofts, so that your 8-iron is a similar loft to the latest 9-iron or even PW.
Drivers have definitely improved in that time though, in forgiveness, distance and adjustability.
I'd suggest you keep your irons for the meantime and check out recent Drivers, though not necessarily brand new. I don't believe the price vs performance improvement has ever justified the massive price difference of latest models compared to previous years ones, but I too have Scottish heritage!
AG's reputation has varied over the years and it often depends on the particular branch. They have certainly seemed focused on what is the best deal for them, but generally have facilities to test for yourself. No idea about Affordable Golf, but they seem to have a pretty good rep. I'd suggest you wait until you get properly back into the game before going to an independent fitter, as a lot of your attributes are likely to change in that period. Oh and don't forget your club Pro. He's definitely worth consulting and having several lessons with to get you back into the swing of things.
Enjoy and all the best.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know what the difference with different fitters is but a friend went to AG in Glasgow and tested various clubs and was very happy with a second hand set of Callaways which was the suggestion.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a big difference between a fitter that you pay a fee to for a straight fitting - lie, length, shaft type and flex, gapping etc you need, and a retail store that offers "fitting" as an incentive to buy. AG stores undoubtedly vary, but I have seen examples of horribly inappropriate fitting, and a former store manager gave me some more insight. They want to sell you the highest margin, or current promotion, kit. I wouldn't go to an AG store.

Your MX-15s are a bit old but should still work just fine. I would settle back in to the game before contemplating changing. The driver needs upgrading, and the good value proposition is a model a couple of generations old, say a Cally Apex or a Titleist 917 or similar.

Last edited:

G1z1

Visit site
Guy in American golf East Kilbride sounded to me as if he really knew his stuff and had me trying loads of different options. I’ve also had fittings at two different supposedly good fitters at private clubs in Glasgow and felt both were rushed and no way in depth. Guess it just depends on your luck.

Elrow

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice.

If I was to get fitted I’d prefer to get the straight fitting rather than what AG appear to do. I know affordable golf charge for the fitting so might give them a call and find out what the full fitting will involve.

As said above, I also wouldn’t mind going to a pro if anyone knows one that is known for fitting around Glasgow? I’d also like the option to try various brands rather than just a selection of the newest clubs. I was going to go to the boy through in Edinburgh Scott Gourlay before I had to take a break. Would prefer to just find someone locally in the west.

Thanks again for the advice!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Scott Gourlay really is your best option if your looking to be fitted and not worry that they don’t know what they are on about or are just rushing you out the door. He will fit you to the best available to you. Not the cheapest though worth it IMO.

Affordable golf do not offer comprehensive fittings they will try and up sell you whatever for a sale. They don’t even let you try new clubs without paying a fitting fee which they will refund if you buy the club. Your local pro would give you a demo club to take on the course for nothing. As said before Scott Gourlay and your local or a local club pro are your best options.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
If it were me I’d go to your local pro or a local superstore and have a look at the various drivers or whatever. Work out which you like the look of, try and hit them and see which you like the feel of. I’d then make an appointment with either the local fitting centre for that brand to get fitted or I’d go to Scott Gourlay. That would be the best/safest thing to do if your looking to buy new clubs

www.hiltonpark.net
Another vote for Scott Gourlay. I went for a wood fitting, last month, easily the best experience for a new club I've had.
As has been said above I'd get settled back in with your mizzies then go there. They're used to all standards of golfer and are not looking to sell if they can't improve what you have

Elrow

Visit site
Thanks for all the input, it’s much appreciated!

I feel I could do with a lesson or 2 to get rid of any bad habits I’ve developed since starting back. After a suggestion above for George bell at EK GC, I think I may try and book a lesson firstly and see what comes from that. Maybe they’ll be able to advise me from lessons my next step with equipment.

I’ll keep you updated with what comes from it all.

Thanks again for all the advice!