Junior Section Ban For Parent Spectators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janey01

Visit site
Does anyone have any advice in relation to the legality of a Golf Club Junior Section being able to ban parents from spectating during a club competition which their child is playing in?
My 12 yr old has been a member of our local Golf Club and played in Junior comps. since the age of 5, and parents have always been able to spectate during comps if they wish. A new Junior leader has recently taken over, and has banned parents from spectating during Comps. I would like to know if this allowed? I have attempted to get clarification from the Club, but as yet have had no response.
I cannot think of any other sport where a parent is not allowed to watch their child compete or play in that sport, and I have been on many Golf Club websites where they have guidlines for parents who are spectating such as, not coaching or caddying etc. But I have not as yet come across a Club that does not allow parents to watch their kids play. The worrying thing is that the Junior leader does not ensure that there is a responsible adult on the course, and even on occasions on the Golf Club premises during Junior Comps.
Any Advice? Or can anyone suggest where I could get advice/clarification on this matter. Many thanks.

DCB

Visit site
How about starting by looking at the golf clubs Child Protection Policy document.

There may be a simple reason for this, related to this Policy.

T

thecraw

How about just telling him where to go.

I'd just laugh in his face if he tried to stop me watching my son or daughter playing in a competition if I wanted.

Janey01

Visit site
Thanks for the'helpful' post Lefite, I thought this might be a good place to get some constructive advice! As I am not a golfer myself, and not wanting to cause a fuss at the Golf Club, I guessed there may be some people on the forum with some experience of Junior sections and protocol.
Yes, this is my first post, but we all have to start somewhere. If you think it is a dodgey post, then why not just ignore it??!!

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the course is private property then I would imagine that a club could ban whoever they wished from entering that property.

From a common sense point of view though, I would ask to speak to the club captain or president and ask why the ban has been put in place. If they support the ban I would ask them if they have a member with a current CRB check available walking every hole of every match with the kids because they are not allowing you to be their for your child and you want to know that they are adequately supervised. Next I would point out the folly of alienating parents, who will be ledd likely to assist the club with any of the many jobs which require volunteers.

What do they expect you to do, bring your child to the course and sit in the bloody car park for 3 hours ? Idiots!

Janey01

Visit site
Thanks Jabba, sensible advice. I have spoken to the Junior Organiser, who was not very helpful and said that my son would be banned from comps if I went on the course when he was playing. Plus the problem with one of the Junior Organisers being on the course to keep an eye on the kids when they are competing is that they are both parens of one of the Juniors and so are basically banning themselves from walking the course! So as you can see it is a difficult and frustrating situation.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a kids sports coach he has no legal standing to ban any one.

The constitution or club rules may enforce a ban in which case why would you let your child play at that course. If he trys to stop you attending another course he has no authority what so ever.

And any coach that focuses so little on the parents being a part of the childs sporting development should not be getting a wage if you ask me.

Also ask to see a copy of the child protection policy and I am sure golf will have a version of a club mark or some sort of accreditation that allows them to access funds and juiour equipmet or the like. If you get no joy from the club speak to the awarding body who will definatly want to talk to the club and the pro involved.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Janey imo thats a stupid rule,my son will be playing in a couple of years and i would hate to be banned from seeing him play,im definately interested in the outcome.

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I assume they don't want over zealous parents supporting, but this is overkill. Are you or your son particularly attached to the club ? I'd be tempted to get the parents together and tell them to reverse the rule or your off to another club.

Which club is it ?

Janey01

Visit site
Thanks Scouser, The Junior Organiseris not paid, she is in charge of the Junior section in her spare time. I appreciate the time and effort that she puts in, but obviously this matter is a concern, especially when told tht my son would be banned from competing if I go on the course during a comp.
I shall definately ask the club for a copy of their child protection policy.Thanks for the advice much appreciated.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
It does seem strange. Could it be along the same lines where many under age football leagues ban parents, with arguing between parents and too much pressure on the kids?

Janey01

Visit site
Hi Colint, Im not sure I should say which club, but it is not really that far from yourself. My son is a member of another local club, which is his home club and they have a wonderful Junior section, but he has been playing in the comps at the club in question since he was 5, he is now 12, so I dont see why we should leave because of this silly rule.
All I want is to see my son play, and make sure he is safe!

Janey01

Visit site
Hi Kellfire, Id say that it is probably not comparible, you dont get involved with the play on the course, and keep a good distance from the players, you are only there to observe and maybe ball spot if required to keep the game moving.
At least in the case of football games there are a number of responsible adults/officials in attendance. In this case there are no adults on the course at all.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Scouser, The Junior Organiseris not paid, she is in charge of the Junior section in her spare time. I appreciate the time and effort that she puts in, but obviously this matter is a concern, especially when told tht my son would be banned from competing if I go on the course during a comp.
I shall definately ask the club for a copy of their child protection policy.Thanks for the advice much appreciated.

no problem ...i have done paid and volounteer work and its not a case of being grateful for her time she needs to provide the children with a proper service and their parents. It may be worth doing a quick google search to see if golf have some sort of club mark that says it safe for children to attend. There should even be information on display in the club house and then have an off the record conversation with the awarding body which I would guess is the pga :D

Janey01

Visit site
thank you. Could I ask what you mean by a 'club mark'? There is no info on the Golf Club website nor the junior board in the clubhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.