Joining first club

D

Deleted member 21258

Most will be just a friendly chat, even if you have to wear a suit. No need to worry.

Just time to ask any questions you may wish to ask about the club and how it will work for you.

Best of luck.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi am looking at joing a club for the first time and it says on the application form that there will be an interview with the membership committee. What sort of things will they be asking and do they actually refuse people after the interviews? Thanks
I was in your shoes last year, was extremely nervous, be smartly dressed tie and jacket will always go down well, and be punctual, they will just ask some basic questions about you, nothing to personal, employment, general interest, size of penis ect,
ask them what type of thing they do to integrate new members, comps, medals any buddy systems to pair new members, ask about getting your handy cap,
A couple of weeks later you should hear back pay you invoice and that's you, don't be nervous they no doubt need your money more than you need to be a member

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Bonnyton is a good track, can get a bit wet in winter though and summer evenings are a NIGHTMARE for midges you will get eaten alive. Other than you can't buy bacon rolls, it's a good place and a good course

FAB90

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone not to worried about getting to know people my dad and uncle are both members there but they have been there for 20+ years so can't really remember much about the interview process!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it for a moment, especially if your family are there, that'll make membership a whole lot better. I had an interview about a year ago, biggest thing i remember was there were another two guys who had interviewed just before me, both suited and booted... while I was there looking scruffy as a dog. Ended up finding a mutual interest with the captain, chatted for just over an hour and had a few beers then got the train home.

Just tidy up (wish I had) turn up on time and use the opportunity to find out about the club as much as you can. Enjoy and good luck on your first year as a member!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to generalise here ( and so will likely be shot down in flames) so bear with it. To my mind, there are three types of club

Elite members club.
Exclusive and you'll not get unless you know the right people, went to the right school and have the right money. I don't know Bonnyton but it won't be one if these. As a first club, you would not be looking at a club like this, and they won't be considering you (unless you happen to be Lord Snooty of Snootville and are married to a billion pounds).

A club wanting golfers.
This is a club wanting to up the numbers to keep the money coming in. They'll not care much beyond you wanting to play golf and the interview (if such exists at all) will be not much more than asking if you have a credit card in your wallet. Say yes and you're in.

A club wanting members.
This is a club wanting new people who will not only play golf, but who will likely get involved in the club (join in, participate etc etc). This type of club is the type most likely to have interviews. They'll just want to find out a bit about you, and particularly why you want to join them (rather than why they should accept you). Just present yourself as interested and interesting, and you'll be fine.

Remember the most important thing will be that you'll get the chance to ask all the questions you want answers to - so take a bit of time beforehand to think of what those questions are.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
While not unusual at some clubs, the days of the formal interview seem to be dying out. I am sure this will be a formality and they'll be looking at your golfing experience, what you want from membership and perhaps a feeling you'll want to get involved in club competitions and social events. These tend to be far more informal than the good old days (when you had to attend with your proposer and seconder) and I'm sure you'll be fine

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I expected something like that when I joined mine, or expected to have to play a few holes with someone so they could check your standard, but didn't have to do anything at all. Pro offered to show me around but that was it

FAB90

Visit site
I expected something like that when I joined mine, or expected to have to play a few holes with someone so they could check your standard, but didn't have to do anything at all. Pro offered to show me around but that was it

Hopefully don't have to play with anyone there's no chance they would let me in 🙄

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Just to add I played my course as a visitor a couple of times before I joined, spoke to the pro and secretary every time I was up to get my face known

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless it's a club from the dark ages, I imagine the meeting will be as much for any questions you have about the club as any questions they might want to ask you. I doubt they would end up refusing you as a member on the basis of it, unless you admitted to being a ku klux klan member or something. Just relax and look at it as a good opportunity to meet someone from the club.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I remember mine, was a very informal friendly chat. Always treated interviews as my chance to find out information about about them.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't worry - I'd guess Bonnyton are in the same position as most clubs in the area and in need of members.

The interview is really a tradition from a previous decade when clubs were flush with members and could be picky about who they allowed in. This is certainly not the case in most clubs in and around Glasgow.

East Ren still go through this process, but it is really an introductory meeting to make sure you know how the club operates, how to get a tee time, how to enter competitions and that you at least know a few people on the committee etc.