Joining first club

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
If I was joining a golf club where I thought it was beneficial to wear a jacket and tie, or a suit, to a new members interview, then I wouldn't join.

Golf needs to move on - regardless of the clubs stature.

The "interview", should be an introduction to whichever member of the commitee is taking the interview (ideally the Captain), a description of the club, and it's history, how to enter comps etc.
It should be informal, while setting out the expectancies at that particular club with regards to member beahviour, dress code etc.

It simply should not be anything to be concerned about - if you are - look for another club where you feel welcome before you've even joined.

But that’s the thing if that’s the way that club wants to run then you wouldn’t be right for the club and the club wouldn’t be right for you. Our interview is informal chat with the captain and secretary then some orienteering followed by important things to know.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
But that’s the thing if that’s the way that club wants to run then you wouldn’t be right for the club and the club wouldn’t be right for you. Our interview is informal chat with the captain and secretary then some orienteering followed by important things to know.

Sorry to pick this up but I'm only doing it because it's so funny! The idea of needing map and compass to get round the course etc etc 🤣

FAB90

Visit site

I was hoping it would be something like this I hate going to interviews 🙄 to be fair I have been to the club a few times as a guest and everyone I have seen has been welcoming enough and when I was in getting the application form had a chat with the people in the office

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was hoping it would be something like this I hate going to interviews 🙄 to be fair I have been to the club a few times as a guest and everyone I have seen has been welcoming enough and when I was in getting the application form had a chat with the people in the office
To be honest, if its the club you really want to join then the interview may be a necessary evil. At least you'll only need to do it once. Get through it, get in and enjoy playing at your new home

FAB90

Visit site
To be honest, if its the club you really want to join then the interview may be a necessary evil. At least you'll only need to do it once. Get through it, get in and enjoy playing at your new home

Ye don't get me wrong will just go and get through it! Think its just because I'm not sure of the process as I'm new to it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ye don't get me wrong will just go and get through it! Think its just because I'm not sure of the process as I'm new to it!
Why not wander up to the club and ask the question. Shows you're keen and want to make the right impression and at least you'll know upfront what they expect from you and what sort of interview you'll be faced with

FAB90

Visit site
Why not wander up to the club and ask the question. Shows you're keen and want to make the right impression and at least you'll know upfront what they expect from you and what sort of interview you'll be faced with

I am going tomorrow to drop the application off and was planning on asking them then for some information!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I am going tomorrow to drop the application off and was planning on asking them then for some information!

When you go up to drop it off, ask if you can go to the bar for a drink and have a wander around, they won't refuse, usually anyone interested in joining will get courtesy of the golf course and play a round or 2 also

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
When you go up to drop it off, ask if you can go to the bar for a drink and have a wander around, they won't refuse, usually anyone interested in joining will get courtesy of the golf course and play a round or 2 also
You’d be surprised how many use that as a way for a free round. It was getting ridiculous so we now refund it off their fee if they Join

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You’d be surprised how many use that as a way for a free round. It was getting ridiculous so we now refund it off their fee if they Join
Have to hold my hands up to that. Did that a couple of times to get on Mill Ride and Windlesham. To be honest at the time, the quality of our course was on the wane and I was beginning to question the value for money and so at the back of my mind there was an element of checking the places out, but definitely not the overriding reason for going. All that changed anyway when the new greenkeeper and staff have come in. Doing a good job in the last 2-3 years

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes never had a handicap before not sure if I should just get some cards in or wait untill I improve a bit first!
Personally I'd get them in asap. Good way of getting your face known, and once you have one you can get into the competitions. We all have to start somewhere and it's never where you start but where you can get to

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, get those cards in, get your handicap and start entering competitions. Otherwise you're missing out on a fair amount of what you paid for with the membership! It doesn't matter what your starting handicap is, just get one and start improving. (y)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have to hold my hands up to that. Did that a couple of times to get on Mill Ride and Windlesham. To be honest at the time, the quality of our course was on the wane and I was beginning to question the value for money and so at the back of my mind there was an element of checking the places out, but definitely not the overriding reason for going. All that changed anyway when the new greenkeeper and staff have come in. Doing a good job in the last 2-3 years

Shame he turned up - most of the other members were hoping you'd leave ;) There'd be more room on the practice area and people standing on the right wouldn't have to worry about you shanking it (you've been grassed up!)