• Don't like him, and he should suffer the consequences and be cancelled

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Have no opinion on him really.

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Because thankfully a lot of people can identify the difference between hate speech and a near-the-knuckle gag.
So basically as a fan of a Jewish football club if I said getting rid of 6 million Jews was a positive. Explain to me how that is funny. It’s not. So how is it funny because it is Gypsys.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... There is not a single event or incident in history that should be outside the realms of comedy. Everything is fair game in my eyes.

I'm a huge Jimmy Carr fan, seen him several times and laugh at a lot he says.... But not everything.

This particular joke didn't make me smile, let alone laugh... But that doesn't change the fact that we're talking about cancelling speech.

It's ok to be offended.

no one has suggested cancelling speech. We are talking about what is and what is not funny. Or acceptable.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think at the start of the netflix show, he actively says about separating the terrible thing from the joke about the terrible thing. You have to expect it.

he also says during the show he knows he’ll get cancelled at some point ?

going to see him live next month and can’t wait.

Swango1980

Visit site
So basically as a fan of a Jewish football club if I said getting rid of 6 million Jews was a positive. Explain to me how that is funny. It’s not. So how is it funny because it is Gypsys.
It wouldn't be funny probably, as I am guessing you are not a professional comedian. However, if a world class comedian made that their topic, I wouldn't put it past them that they could make people laugh. That is their talent, their art form. And, I don't just mean far right people would find it funny, I wouldn't be surprised if even Jewish people found it funny.

It is the way you tell them.

It is fine not to appreciate a style of comedy, or not like specific jokes. But, unless you genuinely believe a comedian is spreading hate speech and assume his statements are literally what he believes, then why complain?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve seen him 3 times, the first when he was an unknown at a comedy club in Newcastle. He wasn’t even the headline act, but was by far and the best.
He put some loud mouth smart arse down with a great reply, Carr said “the only reason I got into comedy was because I was told it was a fanny magnet, but you are not the type of c**t I had in mind”
I like him, he’s very quick witted and entertaining.
PS Apologies if the above offends, but then again I didn’t say it. ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watched him live at Woking last year, without doubt the worst comic I’ve seen live.

He’s quite funny on shows where he can bounce off of others but as a solo standup he was shocking, begging the crowd to heckle him as he had simply no material. One liner after one liner with no flow… the list is endless.

If the joke ends his career it’ll do the world a favour!

D

Deleted member 18121

There is a very very good channel on YouTube called triggernometry where they tackle a lot of woke subjects.... Cancelling comedians was one of them recently if anyone has a spare hour to listen.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I’m not commenting at all on jimmy Carr as I’ve not seen his full show, but there’s laughing with somebody to bring us closer together and laughing at somebody. While judgement and context is important, it’s not rocket science. We can all generally tell as an audience which one it is, whether it’s on Netflix or at the clubhouse bar or in the school playground.

Nothing should be off limits to comedy - that’s the whole point of it. Life of Brian, Book of Mormon, The Producers, …. heck even Citizen Khan, Love Thy Neighbour were all really funny whilst tackling controversial subjects. As both an ethnic and religious minority I totally loved Four Lions.
But just resorting to laughing at someone, especially if that someone is in a weaker position than you, has always been the bully’s refuge. There’s nothing woke or snowflake about that.