• Don't like him, and he should suffer the consequences and be cancelled

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Have no opinion on him really.

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He is Pig ignorant with comments like that.

Quote. As a punchline, Carr makes a disparaging remark about the deaths of thousands of Gypsies at the hands of the Nazis, saying it was a “positive” of the Holocaust.
He “says no one talks about the death of them”.
If he got off his ignorant high horse and went to places like Auschwitz and Stutthof As I have done whilst on my Holidays/ travels. He would see that these extermination camps were not just for Jews. They clearly state it was the mass extermination of anyone that was not part of the Ayrian race. Inc Blacks, political, Gay, disabled etc etc.
If he got off his ignorant horse and went to the National Holocaust centre in Notts like I did last year when I dropped off 100 star of David crosses and educated himself he would know that.
How the extermination of anyone is funny is beyond me. What is the next funny subject, Rape. He has massively crossed a line for me and I am not a Gypsy or Jew.

Clearly you haven't followed him for long as he has made a rape joke in a past ..

Examples of rape comedy are easy to find. Reginald D Hunter has a routine that begins, "civilisation couldn't have arisen without rape . . ." Jimmy Carr, of course, has several one-liners on the subject ("What do nine out of 10 people enjoy? / Gang rape."). In a characteristic play on his words, Carr has called his current show Rapier Wit.

2010 that was

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Clearly you haven't followed him for long as he has made a rape joke in a past ..

Examples of rape comedy are easy to find. Reginald D Hunter has a routine that begins, "civilisation couldn't have arisen without rape . . ." Jimmy Carr, of course, has several one-liners on the subject ("What do nine out of 10 people enjoy? / Gang rape."). In a characteristic play on his words, Carr has called his current show Rapier Wit.

2010 that was

Thankfully I haven’, which then begs me to ask the question. How is he still on television.? ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Me and my Mrs went to see him some years ago - friends arranged the tickets as we wouldn't have thought about going otherwise. I recall quite clearly that we didn't think much of it - and don't remember much in the way of belly laughs.

And we don't watch any of the TV shows he's on or does, though we don't watch much if any of that sort of programme as they strike me as being full of folk who are very full of themselves and their own comedy cleverness. The truth is that in general I don't find most of them very funny at all - despite howls of laughter from the audience and their fellow comedians/contestants/whatevers.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Thankfully I haven’, which then begs me to ask the question. How is he still on television.? ?
There are loads of comedians who deal with controversial jokes, quite a few mainstream ones as well, Jimmy Carr, Frankie Boyle and Ricky Gervais a few. Gervais talks very well about joking about controversial subjects, explaining that joking about bad subjects does not make you supportive of that topic, many times it is quite the opposite. He had a complaint once from a woman who said he went too far when he talked about food allergies. After asking why she was offended by that, and not other subjects he joked about like AIDS and Cancer, she replied "because children die from food allergies".

The thing is, there are subjects that hit a nerve in each and every one of us, so we'll feel uncomfortable about certain topics. However, I bet we also laugh at other topics (which we know are terrible topics) that other people could be offended by. Is that wrong?

I'd imagine if a comedian was truly sick, and it wasn't obvious that he/she was condoning the very topics they joked about, then they'd be very unsuccessful, apart from a very small cult following of pretty unpleasant people. They'd certainly not be successful in the mainstream, I'd imagine. But, if your style is dealing with taboo subjects, then you'll always be crossing the line, at least to one person if not many more. I am sure Carr, Boyle and Gervais offend at least one person every time they open their mouth on a controversial subject.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've seen him live 5 times. Each time and without fail people get up and leave due to offensive jokes. Last time a saw him he had a large group of amputee military sat at the front. He highlighted who they where and the got a massive round of applause. He then said "the good thing about you lot being blown to pieces is we're gonna rock the next paralympics". At least 6 people left despite the said group belly laughing.

He is a desired taste. If you don't like his joke's then don't watch his TV shows and don't buy his tickets. If that was the general consensus then he'll fade away.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Watched it on Netflix and seen him live a few years ago as the wife is a fan. Tbh it's his usp telling offensive jokes,
You wouldn't go and see him without knowing what was in store, or watch his stand up on Netflix.
Hes told plenty as bad in the past, he even says on each of the jokes on that bit of the routine "is the the career ender"

I dont think it is, but as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't get past his really annoying laugh so, until this publicity, had never really heard him tell a joke!

The joke itself made me wince but in that "ouch, that's close to the mark" way rather than thinking it was really offensive.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
He is Pig ignorant with comments like that.

Quote. As a punchline, Carr makes a disparaging remark about the deaths of thousands of Gypsies at the hands of the Nazis, saying it was a “positive” of the Holocaust.
He “says no one talks about the death of them”.
If he got off his ignorant high horse and went to places like Auschwitz and Stutthof As I have done whilst on my Holidays/ travels. He would see that these extermination camps were not just for Jews. They clearly state it was the mass extermination of anyone that was not part of the Ayrian race. Inc Blacks, political, Gay, disabled etc etc.
If he got off his ignorant horse and went to the National Holocaust centre in Notts like I did last year when I dropped off 100 star of David crosses and educated himself he would know that.
How the extermination of anyone is funny is beyond me. What is the next funny subject, Rape. He has massively crossed a line for me and I am not a Gypsy or Jew.

You obviously haven’t watched. His first joke is about rape…

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
First off, I really enjoy Jimmy Carr on 8 out of 10 cats do Countdown. Some of the humour is close to the bone but I don’t think it crosses any imaginary line.

Next; does ‘freedom of speech’, really exist? Not seen Till death us do Part for a good while, nor Rising Damp. You can’t walk into a mosque and let rip with an anti-Muslim rant. There are boundaries/laws on what you can and can’t say. Some of those boundaries revolve around common decency and being courteous. Imagine walking up to the mum-in-law and saying, “you ugly, fat slug.” You wouldn’t because you know it would offend.

On a personal note, I think Carr crossed a line. No doubt some thought it funny, and others will have laughed through shock/embarrassment.

Back to Freedom of Speech. Use it wisely or risk losing it when the authorities step in and curtail it - think Till Death us do Part. I hate to think Carr’s ignorant joke erodes some of the freedom others fought to achieve.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Career ending? No. He’ll still get gigs.

The live show that was filmed is called DARK MATERIAL. One could assume that it would consist of DARK MATERIAL. Unfortunately there is a subset of society who like to moan about any injustice or moral issue that may seem popular to be offended about. Heaven knows what they’d do if they found out love thy neighbour is on YouTube.

Maybe we should ban comedy gigs, make them snowflake proof. Regulate them.

I’ll start with a PC correct joke.

What do you call a bear with no teeth? Gummy bear.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Career ending? No. He’ll still get gigs.

The live show that was filmed is called DARK MATERIAL. One could assume that it would consist of DARK MATERIAL. Unfortunately there is a subset of society who like to moan about any injustice or moral issue that may seem popular to be offended about. Heaven knows what they’d do if they found out love thy neighbour is on YouTube.

Maybe we should ban comedy gigs, make them snowflake proof. Regulate them.

I’ll start with a PC correct joke.

What do you call a bear with no teeth? Gummy bear.

I’m sure there’s a bed wetter somewhere who’ll find offense to that joke on behalf of toothless bears

D

Deleted member 23270

Last time a saw him he had a large group of amputee military sat at the front. He highlighted who they where and the got a massive round of applause. He then said "the good thing about you lot being blown to pieces is we're gonna rock the next paralympics". At least 6 people left despite the said group belly laughing
This doesn't surprise me at all. Some groups of people accept their situation and make the best of it but there will always be somebody offended on their behalf.

D

Deleted member 18121

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... There is not a single event or incident in history that should be outside the realms of comedy. Everything is fair game in my eyes.

I'm a huge Jimmy Carr fan, seen him several times and laugh at a lot he says.... But not everything.

This particular joke didn't make me smile, let alone laugh... But that doesn't change the fact that we're talking about cancelling speech.

It's ok to be offended.