Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Don't like him, and he should suffer the consequences and be cancelled

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Have no opinion on him really.

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, I see Jimmy Carr is under the microscope for telling a joke referencing the holocaust and traveller communities. Thought I'd do a poll (never tried one one here before)

I'm intrigued that this could finally be the joke that ends his career. I've heard quite a bit of his comedy, and he has told thousands of offensive jokes on hundreds of sensitive issues. What is the difference between those jokes, and this one? Is it simply that it got out into mainstream media, and all of a sudden the easily offended (or those that wish to be offended) want to voice their opinions, and MPs demand he apologise (which is ironic)?

Surely, the whole reason the joke works is that the topic was so utterly horrific, that making light of it is so remarkably stupid it is funny. I cannot get into Jimmy Carr's head, but I strongly suspect that he thinks the holocaust was horrendous, I do not for one minute think that, by telling that joke, he seriously thinks it was a positive thing, otherwise it wouldn't be a joke, it would just be him stating what he believes and it wouldn't be comedy. Also, the fact that audience members laugh is because they too think it was a horrific event, and the absurdity of the joke highlights that fact.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Highly doubt it will end his career, the man is never off the telly so that would be quite a turnaround. And he has always had controversial jokes in his stand-up routines.

Personally I respect his right to tell whatever jokes he wants to an audience of his own fans. In this instance perhaps it just needed to be edited out before being released for public consumption on the likes of Netflix and YouTube - where the professionally offended can seek it out and sharpen their pitchforks.

Not much point in expecting an apology, since if you do get one, you absolutely know that it won't be genuine anyway.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t belive a comedian of his experience would make a basic mistake like this.
There are today lots of things you can’t do and this is one of them.
I think nothing is out of bounds in comedy ,but am realistic enough to know this will offend many people.
Just unnecessary really. I am very surprised at it.
But think Twitter and public opinion holds to much sway today, if you don’t like him don’t watch simple.
Bernard Manning always said “ not racist I slag everyone” think JC is a bit like that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can’t belive a comedian of his experience would make a basic mistake like this.
There are today lots of things you can’t do and this is one of them.
I think nothing is out of bounds in comedy ,but am realistic enough to know this will offend many people.
Just unnecessary really. I am very surprised at it.
But think Twitter and public opinion holds to much sway today, if you don’t like him don’t watch simple.
Bernard Manning always said “ not racist I slag everyone” think JC is a bit like that.
It's not a mistake. He openly says he likes to try offend people. I think saying outrageous jokes is what amuses him if anything. Exactly as Swango said above - I don't believe the joke is supposed to be "haha yes, we all hate gypsies as well" - it's more on the lines of "haha, I can't believe he's just said that, that's outrageous." Some people like their sensibilities tested in comedy like that, whereas others will take everything at face value without context and be offended by it. It takes all sorts.

Sometimes with certain comedians I wonder if they try and push the envelope further and further out of boredom. He seems to openly have a tactic of let's see what it takes to get me cancelled. He's probably achieved everything he set out to achieve already anyway. If he loses a few contracts he'll just take a few years off.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've seen clips of his live act and pushing boundaries is clearly central to much of it. He will sometimes make a controversial gag and then make a point of highlighting how many laughed, how many cringed and drew in a breath. If something got a big laugh, he might push a bit further, how far before the intake happens? He tries to see where the boundary is with a particular audience.

I think he got this one wrong, bound to happen if you walk that tightrope often enough. A quick apology and all will be well again. His audience clearly likes him, Ch4 like him being edgy, so this wont be career ending. If anything, this is boosting his profile. I wonder how many more people have downloaded his Netflix act since this kicked off?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've seen clips of his live act and pushing boundaries is clearly central to much of it. He will sometimes make a controversial gag and then make a point of highlighting how many laughed, how many cringed and drew in a breath. If something got a big laugh, he might push a bit further, how far before the intake happens? He tries to see where the boundary is with a particular audience.

I think he got this one wrong, bound to happen if you walk that tightrope often enough. A quick apology and all will be well again. His audience clearly likes him, Ch4 like him being edgy, so this wont be career ending. If anything, this is boosting his profile. I wonder how many more people have downloaded his Netflix act since this kicked off?
I was literally just thinking I need to hurry up and watch it before they take it down. Without any of this furore I probably wouldn't have watched it at all. :LOL:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not a mistake. He openly says he likes to try offend people. I think saying outrageous jokes is what amuses him if anything. Exactly as Swango said above - I don't believe the joke is supposed to be "haha yes, we all hate gypsies as well" - it's more on the lines of "haha, I can't believe he's just said that, that's outrageous." Some people like their sensibilities tested in comedy like that, whereas others will take everything at face value without context and be offended by it. It takes all sorts.

Sometimes with certain comedians I wonder if they try and push the envelope further and further out of boredom. He seems to openly have a tactic of let's see what it takes to get me cancelled. He's probably achieved everything he set out to achieve already anyway. If he loses a few contracts he'll just take a few years off.
Yes I meant putting it out into the public domain.
You might be right it wasn’t.
But if the Tax Man can’t finish him off I dought this will.

D

Deleted member 15344

He made an offensive joke , there have been worse jokes said and comedians still work

It won’t make a difference to his career as a stand up

He may lose some hosting duties but again I doubt it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was literally just thinking I need to hurry up and watch it before they take it down. Without any of this furore I probably wouldn't have watched it at all. :LOL:
It's back to Father Ted and 'down with that sort of thing'.

Do you think someone in Netflix pr dept started this all off a week or so ago? Conspiracy theory time...........

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Like I said in another thread. He’s been quite clever with his material, in that he’s been offensive to just about everyone. How can we condemn a joke about the holocaust, but not child abuse or rape?

It’s all or nothing.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's back to Father Ted and 'down with that sort of thing'.

Do you think someone in Netflix pr dept started this all off a week or so ago? Conspiracy theory time...........

You could be right, there was that american comedian, Dave Chapelle, that was getting a lot of media attention after his gig was shown on Netflix too

RichA

Visit site
I'm not really into "apologise culture", so I haven't voted. I like him and really hope he'll rethink some of his material, but I don't think he will.

I feel like people need to understand what freedoms of speech and expression really mean and how powerful they are.
In recent and distant history, horrific views have been expressed to laughing and cheering audiences. The support of your audience isn't a great barometer of right and wrong.

Freedom of speech is great for speaking out against perceived oppression or tyranny. It's wasted when used to justify a prejudicial joke about genocide.

Just regurgitating what I wrote on the other thread, for which I apologise.

greenone

Visit site
Did he incite hate or violence? No he told a joke in a routine. He's told many that imo are worse. People can by all means be offended by it but that doesn't override freedom of speech.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He can use the 'i am educating' line just the once. He shouldn't use it again in the same or indeed any context. He's a comedian not an educator and so should stick to comedy that stands up in it's own right as comedy.

Swango1980

Visit site
He can use the 'i am educating' line just the once. He shouldn't use it again in the same or indeed any context. He's a comedian not an educator and so should stick to comedy that stands up in it's own right as comedy.
But, then again, was this not part of the joke? I don't think he said it as he seriously thought he was performing the role of a school teacher and enlightening the audience. The joke being that he claims to be educating the audience, but done in a way that is obviously so far removed from what one would expect from an actual teacher that it becomes comical to a wide range of people. I assume that this line got a laugh from the audience? If so, it worked for the comic effect he was trying to achieve.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
He is Pig ignorant with comments like that.

Quote. As a punchline, Carr makes a disparaging remark about the deaths of thousands of Gypsies at the hands of the Nazis, saying it was a “positive” of the Holocaust.
He “says no one talks about the death of them”.
If he got off his ignorant high horse and went to places like Auschwitz and Stutthof As I have done whilst on my Holidays/ travels. He would see that these extermination camps were not just for Jews. They clearly state it was the mass extermination of anyone that was not part of the Ayrian race. Inc Blacks, political, Gay, disabled etc etc.
If he got off his ignorant horse and went to the National Holocaust centre in Notts like I did last year when I dropped off 100 star of David crosses and educated himself he would know that.
How the extermination of anyone is funny is beyond me. What is the next funny subject, Rape. He has massively crossed a line for me and I am not a Gypsy or Jew.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But, then again, was this not part of the joke? I don't think he said it as he seriously thought he was performing the role of a school teacher and enlightening the audience. The joke being that he claims to be educating the audience, but done in a way that is obviously so far removed from what one would expect from an actual teacher that it becomes comical to a wide range of people. I assume that this line got a laugh from the audience? If so, it worked for the comic effect he was trying to achieve.
I myself wouldn't judge the rights or wrongs of a statement/joke such as that made by Carr on the reaction of the audience. I am afraid that I am not convinced that others might not use the 'I'm educating' line as an an excuse/smokescreen for what may be widely unacceptable views. So he - and all comedians - should not use it.