Jacket and Tie nonsense !!!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My club are playing St Andrews New next week and a Jacket and Tie is required afterwards, even had to go out and buy a shirt for it :rolleyes: are there many stuffy old clubs still carrying on this nonsense ??

D

Deleted member 15344

There are plenty that will ask you to wear jacket and tie for numerous occasions.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes all our club matches require the players to wear jacket and tie, small sacrifice to make to play great courses and good Scran :cheers:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
As far as I am concerned, if a course I am visiting requires a jacket and tie, I will wear a jacket and tie.

Did so on Friday at Ashridge and will do again in a few days time at The Berkshire

It’s about respecting the wishes of the club members.

It’s obviously easier if it is not required, but I don’t have a problem with it.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Not an issue to wear a jacket and tie. If the club has its rules, I will oblige.

I like the tradition and you find it’s usually the better courses which require this. Adds to the occasion

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Most of our vets league matches have become brunch before and smart casual after - much better that collar and tie with speeches etc

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I quite like the tradition of a jacket and tie for dinner.
so any club that I have visited that requests one for dinner following a match, i ahave been happy to oblige

Don't see what the fuss is about. you would not go to a dinner 'date' in jeans and a t shirt, so why is it even an issue to dress for an occasion?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Something that will eventually die out with the old guard.
My club has scrapped it altogether for anything. Though we are a young bunch with several under 30 on the committee and a no nonsense approach.
I still get emails from my old club and their prensentation evenings are now casual. Used to be jacket and tie, so I never went.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No great issue, as I said, I bought a new shirt for the occasion, it just seems all a bit outdated to me. I think we play about 15 clubs in the league/friendlies and only 3 require it.

So wear it 3 times, and not wear it 12 times? I still am yet to see the issue?
or wear it 12 times and not 3 times, and be seen as someone that has etiquette and a modicum of class?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No great issue, as I said, I bought a new shirt for the occasion, it just seems all a bit outdated to me. I think we play about 15 clubs in the league/friendlies and only 3 require it.

Remember to wash it inbetween matches.

Do you have the old sports jacket with elbow patches (Jack Frost) style

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Life’s easier without it, but I respect the traditions of my host... golf club or otherwise

I played in a Society in 2016 when after a rain soaked afternoon round, several folk just took off their spikes and went into dinner! Nice. Clearly that’s not the alternative, but really?