It seems bandits are not the dying breed we hoped for

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This might not be true of a work game but in "opens" or these National/Regional comps surely the handicap has to be valid. If you've not put 3 cards in during the last year your handicap becomes inactive and shouldn't be accepted for entry in these comps. Ok its going to take awhile for the bandit handicaps to get right but at least they'd be putting cards in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree, but you only need three cards per year and so if you're off 14 and playing to 5 what stops you having three horror shows and maintaining that 14 or heaven forbid reach 14.5 and then going out and shooting the lights out. OK I agree that you'll get caught and trimmed accordingly but in the meantime these bandits will have ridden out of town with the loot

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
A work society that i play with have the rule that when you start with them you get a handicap of 18(society) if you win then your cut depending on your score.....If you dont you stay on 18 until you do...This way its very hard to cheat which i think is very fair.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The only problem I have with that Kid is what happens if you win and everyone else plays crap? Win with 30 points and you havn't come close to your handicap but you're still getting cut?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry Imurg,
Im not fully sure how it works as its my dads work society and i play as a guest.....
The reason i play is that they get to play some really good courses that are subsidised....
But i have won 2 comps with them and i have been cut and also if you do pull a good score then your card is posted back to your club for handicapping.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Against my better judgement I have entered a singles knockout competition being organised by some company called "Golforganiser.com" something to do with the Daily Express.
Only cost £30.00 to enter, so I though "what the heck. Chance to play some different courses at a reduced green fee"
Entries close today and I'm waiting to see who my first opponent is. Will keep you posted on my progress and let you know the name, club and "official handicap" of the first total and utter bandit I come up against.
Because I know I will.....

Smiffy V's The guy with 1970s clubs playing off 28 and can drive 340 yards and putt like a demon.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There is a common thread throughout the posts so why can't we do the USA way ( and others )and be required to put in a card for EVERY round. Nearly all clubs are on the internet.
Three cards per annum as now is a joke.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO a bandit is a person who plays a lot, know that they are better than their hc suggests, but never plays club comps where the is a possibilty of a cut, they get a hc and think thats it..oh and maybe throw a few comps throughout the year to keep it.

I play as many comps as I can, played a north east golfer match last year and was off 11, the opposition at the end asked how many comps I played as he thought my handicap was wrong as I shot 6 over at his course and we won 2&1. I was very annoyed as I play almost every qualifier even the midweek ones!!!! I promptly went out and 93 in the medal the next day! gutted !! lol

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spinn77, I would hope within your club people recognise your efforts and would accept that you're no bandit but have just improved considerably and are doing everything "by the book" so to speak. Keep playing like you are and your handicap will soon be more reflective of your ability, like you say, it's not your fault there have been very few qualifiers. It's pretty easy to spot the bandits from the genuine improvers IMHO and I would hope that the members at your place recognise you as the latter. If you hear mumblings the other way, I would suggest you make a request to the comittee for a review and put the word about that you have. That way, even if the comittee say no, at least it's public knowledge you are trying to do something about it

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
so, as far as im concerned i'm doing everything i can do to get down and its the system thats is probably keeping my Hcp as high as it is (or as accurate as it is -

the handicap system does lag - a lot, and it's worse correcting from lower to higher. Can't remember the exact figures but it was based on two players mis-handicapped by 3. It should take around 20 games to correct from say 17 to 14, but around 60 to correct from 14 to 17.

pcowgill

Medal Winner
Visit site
Wow – seems I’ve opened a can of worms here. Some really good postings and I can I can see why some of the higher handicappers are concerned about being labelled bandits just because they have a good round. I’m like most of you i.e. I'm the first to shake the hand of a worthy opponent.

IMO there is no formal definition of a bandit but you can tell by their swing and ball striking when a high handicapper is taking the p**s. Let me tell you about a few of the things my 24 handicap opponent did.

1)Missed the green on the wrong side. Had to chip over a bunker with about 3 feet of green to work with. Up and down in three would have been very good. Plays a Phil Mickleson type lob with check spin. Lands 18 inches past the hole and spins back stone dead (generating check spin was common place).

2)Plugged in a bunker. Knew exactly what to do. Closed the face and splashed out to 8 feet. Sunk the putt.

3)Approach shot blocked out by a large tree. Can’t see the green. Plays a low draw with a 5 iron to centre of the green AND moans that he is now faced with a tricky downhill putt.

Any 24 handicappers out there who can fade or draw the ball at will or generate check spin? I’d love to hear from you.