Just A Little Bit Out Of Date

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've never really understood why a single player had no standing?
Just be a nice person and let faster people/groups play through.
Age and gender are irrelavant, its just about being a decent, unselfish person.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats mad. If they are going to stop for a tea, a hot drink you wouldn't normally sup straight down why shouldn't you play through. You'd be on the green if not clear by the time they are ready. What did they propose? Standing around for 20 minutes and then politely stand behind them and wait for the next nine

We have a halfway hut which is used by the majority of players, however if the group behind don't want to stop they are almost always invited through, it doesn't hold anyone up so why not do it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
its amazing in this day and age how often you get this and how some feel its an affront to ever let anyone through.

We have a group of guys who play pretty much every day at eight and the club rule is no 4balls before 9, except if its greensomes or forsomes. these lot play that until 9 then play as a four ball and hold people up every day. the club have spoken to them on countless occasions, bu to no avail. they never let anyone though but chose to almost have to run between shots and always speed up for the last few holes so there is a gap between them and any group behind. its crazy, it really is, but they just don't get it. every day there are 3 or 4 groups behind them they just won't let though, but as there is always a gap the starter can see on 17 and 18 they get away with it

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
its amazing in this day and age how often you get this and how some feel its an affront to ever let anyone through.

We have a group of guys who play pretty much every day at eight and the club rule is no 4balls before 9, except if its greensomes or forsomes. these lot play that until 9 then play as a four ball and hold people up every day. the club have spoken to them on countless occasions, bu to no avail. they never let anyone though but chose to almost have to run between shots and always speed up for the last few holes so there is a gap between them and any group behind. its crazy, it really is, but they just don't get it. every day there are 3 or 4 groups behind them they just won't let though, but as there is always a gap the starter can see on 17 and 18 they get away with it
Thats mental!
I know it makes me a bad person but that sort of thing makes my blood boil!
I'd be firing balls at them left right and centre!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I just don't understand why you wouldn't let somebody through, regardless of how many in the group.

I find it quite frustrating when someone is playing right up your bum hole, so I let them through as soon as possible. Nobody gains anything from having someone pressed right up to them

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Classic old golf git, the type who give the game a bad name. Luckily I don't think it'll be too many years until they've died off. (Unluckily I think a lot of clubs are struggling to replace them with younger members..)

D

Deleted member 21258

I've never really understood why a single player had no standing?
Just be a nice person and let faster people/groups play through.
Age and gender are irrelavant, its just about being a decent, unselfish person.

Spot on, we always let anyone that is faster though as soon as possible.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If you're describing their behaviour accurately (and I have no reason to doubt you), then it is clear that it is a premeditated attempt to cause as much frustration as possible to the other members.

Speaking to them isn't enough - they need to have their playing priviledges suspended for some period of time, told why, and instructed that when they can play again to be sensible otherwise they'll be expelled.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Do they know it's 2018? Are they a knee length sock club as well 😵

Its used by a couple of the resort courses here too (I guess they don't really want a single out there when the the tee-time could get used by a 4-ball) I think its a case of, if you do go out on your own then don't expect to disrupt the field who all handed over more dosh than you. But I tend to ignore it and call them through anyway

Coincidentally because of others canceling (& for the first time in years) I ended up as a single last Sunday morning but I had a nice big empty gap in front, caught the 4 in front after 7 holes and stayed there for the rest of the round
They didn't call me through and because I was alone and just a practice round I didn't ask to get through, biggest problem was a touch of sunburn and getting home an hour or so later

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a similar experience a couple of months back (there's a thread about it).
Rule or no rule around single player standing, common sense and decency would see quicker players being offered through.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just as a bit of balance, i played as a single a few weeks ago and got through two 2 balls, then a 4 ball then 4 3 balls... only downside was i caught the usual suspects i mentioned earlier on the 17th, but was still round in 2.15, would have been well under two but for them;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a halfway hut which is used by the majority of players, however if the group behind don't want to stop they are almost always invited through, it doesn't hold anyone up so why not do it.
never understood this.. if you are stopping at the halfway house there is no invite the group behind through... its if they want to go through they can because you have left the queue to go have a drink ..

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately, we still have a local "Single players have no standing" rule in place at my club and a few players (not neccessarily from the "old fart" category, more of the 'I earn more money than you so shut up' type) that insist on their right to completely block the course by playing in the slowest four ball imaginable and not letting anyone through. It annoys me most when I get to the course in the evening after work, hoping for a quick nine holes, which then turn into 2+ h of standing around on the fairway. But thankfully, we also have more and more members who do let single players through despite the rule.
Is it a rule or just advisory?
If you know this before you tee off that’s ok imo.
But for a fourball to hold up a single player is just bad manners or arrogance or both.
It’s a bit like people who drive in the outside lane they don’t care about anyone else.
The reason I think it’s older guys is that WAS the rule years ago so they don’t update.
Younger guys are used to the new rule , but still comes down to manners for me!

I wonder how some will cope with the rule changes next year, you can bet your bottom dollar they will know the ones that help them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They don’t at Seaton Carew GC, they have a local rule quite clearly stating a single player has no standing there.
That dosnt mean you can’t let them through though, just they can’t complain if you don’t.
It’s all down to good manners ,
Is there any I’ll feeling in the bar ?