Isolation of the over 70s

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fines of up to £1k being mentioned re failure to adhere to self isolation.

Absolutely mental.
Mentioned by who l wonder, I can’t thi
Surely to a degree any self-isolation for over 70's is unworkable. Those not able to rely on family and friends will need food and medicines and so surely some dispensation has to be be made to allow them to get these. Otherwise what happens? They don't eat, get frail(er) and die or don't get their medications and their conditions aren't kept under control until the point of hospitalisation or worse? Definitely typical LBC scaremongering at the moment

But the official line is not that the over 70s should self isolate completely , it’s that they should cut down on their social activities etc.

This is the position as of today so any speculation other than this is rather pointless

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No it’s not the case just more scaremongering, the advice given out this morning is the over 70s should limit there social activities, But this could change.
That is what I thought - and I note this has subsequently been clarified in an interview he has done with grant shapps but has Ferrari issued an apology for getting it sonbadly wrong - of course not.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm in my early 60s so not affected, but...

Many over-70s are fairly healthy BECAUSE they play golf regularly and get some exercise. If they are forced to sit at home for months their fitness will suffer and make them a bigger burden on the NHS in future.

Just telling every 70+ to stay at home is a very blunt instrument, and could be another example of the law of unintended consequences.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
And what about the "healthy" 35 year old walking about the community passing it on unaware. What about the 80 year old who desperately needs milk or whatever. What about needing to collect medication. What about any old person who can't afford £1k and gets caught out - are we going to pursue through the courts at X expense to the country?

It's all if's and but's but I question how workable it all is.

People are the worst. Whatever the rules are, anyone caught not complying for no valid reason deserves whatever the fine is.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And what about the "healthy" 35 year old walking about the community passing it on unaware. What about the 80 year old who desperately needs milk or whatever. What about needing to collect medication. What about any old person who can't afford £1k and gets caught out - are we going to pursue through the courts at X expense to the country?

It's all if's and but's but I question how workable it all is.
The healthy 80 yr old goes out for a walk - either by himself or with a friend or two - but they keep to the recommended separation. And if they meet anyone out on their walk then they all keep their distance.

At the moment no one is suggesting over 70s will be FORCED to stay at home. But the police may be given authority to arrest ANYONE who is out and about and displaying symptoms of the virus.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mentioned by who l wonder, I can’t thi

But the official line is not that the over 70s should self isolate completely , it’s that they should cut down on their social activities etc.

This is the position as of today so any speculation other than this is rather pointless

Wasn't me speculating. Just replying to SILH who listened to LBC (the radio equivalent of the Daily Mail imo)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A lot of over 70s have dogs. For a good number of them, it's the only company they have. What are they supposed to do with them if they are not allowed out the house?

D

Deleted member 21258

Always surprises me, people (most high risk) are dying from this, its a little surreal at the moment, as don't know anyone who has/had it or died from it.

However if you believe what is being said, this is coming to a person you know or a person you know, knows someone.

Worrying about playing golf, is the least of the problems.

SasquatchSQ

Visit site
[
A lot of over 70s have dogs. For a good number of them, it's the only company they have. What are they supposed to do with them if they are not allowed out the house?

They will be allowed out of the house. You're just not meant to go within 6 feet of people. So they would keep walking their dog, but if for example they need to open a gate on their route, they should use hand sanitizer.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You hit a tee shot, and the tee flies off. You can't find it but one of the guys in the group behind does. Is it contaminated?

You pick up a bunker rake. The guy in the group behind uses the rake too. Is it contaminated?

You pull the flag out. The guy in the group behind does too. Is it contaminated?

You lose a ball. The guy in the group behind finds it. Is it contaminated?

As you walk off the 18th you're busting for a pee. Into the clubhouse or wet yourself?

BTW, the guy in the group behind has a dicky ticker. He's dead within 14 days and you get by with a hacking cough that developed the day after you played. How bloody selfish!?!

D

Deleted member 1147

a little follow on from Brian's excellent post -

- the virus survives on metal for >12 hrs, & on fabric for 6-12 hrs

So it won;t just be the guy in the group behind that will be affected

D

Deleted member 1147

Always surprises me, people (most high risk) are dying from this, its a little surreal at the moment, as don't know anyone who has/had it or died from it.

However if you believe what is being said, this is coming to a person you know or a person you know, knows someone.

Worrying about playing golf, is the least of the problems.

No, but my GP is in quarantine because he come into contact with someone who has it!
I don;t think I'll be visiting my GP surgery for a while

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
a little follow on from Brian's excellent post -

- the virus survives on metal for >12 hrs, & on fabric for 6-12 hrs

So it won;t just be the guy in the group behind that will be affected

Being devils advocate, and assuming there was just an over 70 isolation.

Whats to stop the same scenario, but someone under 70 who is perfectly allowed to be there under the hypothetical rules? It's the same as anything, the guy with the dodgy ticker shouldn't put himself in harms way. It's a crap situation, I can't imagine what it would feel like knowing you may have passed it to someone at risk.

Whats to say that exact scenario isn't happening as we speak?

D

Deleted member 21258

No, but my GP is in quarantine because he come into contact with someone who has it!

Agree with that. Would have to be an emergency

Since my post, spoken to a guy whos dentist is in 30s, in intensive care. Doesn't fit the typical profile being given. Think he said there was around 10 people in his area with it in hospital.

D

Deleted member 1147

Being devils advocate, and assuming there was just an over 70 isolation.

Whats to stop the same scenario, but someone under 70 who is perfectly allowed to be there under the hypothetical rules? It's the same as anything, the guy with the dodgy ticker shouldn't put himself in harms way. It's a crap situation, I can't imagine what it would feel like knowing you may have passed it to someone at risk.

Whats to say that exact scenario isn't happening as we speak?
There's nothing to say that isn't happening right now.
But, you would hope that those who are out and about have good hygiene standards, and take every effort not to pass it on to those at most risk.

It just seems like common sense for those at most risk to keep themselves as safe as possible.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Next week looks far better weather wise I may start my self isolation then. No need to see my GP either. Will take some antibacterial wipes for the flag.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Would it not be more sensible to just leave the flag in, as allowed by the rules.

You can still touch it accidentally with the back/side of your hand getting the ball out best to be safe rather than risk a further spread. Thanks for the concern/advice though.

?