Isolation of the over 70s

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Speak for yourself!

I’ve just spent 14 months with a respiratory problem, exacerbated by my 35 year life-threatening asthma & damaged lungs from subcutaneous emphysema when a child.

Sorry to hear that James

I just thinking of the 70 and over my nan said last week she would just risk it

This week changed her tune

Just how can we force em

D

Deleted member 1147

Sorry to hear that James

I just thinking of the 70 and over my nan said last week she would just risk it

This week changed her tune

Just how can we force em
Mobilise the home guard...if they want to go out and about, they may as well be useful!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It is a very sensible strategy to reduce the speed of transmission. But people will think they know best and ignore logical advice.

The spread will then be quicker that necessary causing overload on NHS beds and staff. The same gits (i'm not taking any notice brigade) will then be moaning the Government's plan don't work.

Ignorance is bliss up until you become one of the statistics.

First of all it is principally to protect the over 70s who are identified as more vulnerable. I cannot see that the risk of a healthy 70 year old playing golf in the open air is greater than, say, handling groceries which have been delivered & handled by God knows who. There's only so much you can do. If the virus can live on surfaces for up to 9 days surely that's the biggest risk.

Our daughter lives at home, goes to work. There's an infinitely bigger chance of her bringing something home than me catching it on the golf course.

sussexhacker

Visit site
It’s going to go one of 2 ways regarding golf courses.
They’re either going to be packed with people off work/ bored of being isolated at home or they’re going to be bereft of (stereotyping but around here it’s 100% accurate) the people that make a 2/ 2 and a half hour round into a 4/5 hour one

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First of all it is principally to protect the over 70s who are identified as more vulnerable. I cannot see that the risk of a healthy 70 year old playing golf in the open air is greater than, say, handling groceries which have been delivered & handled by God knows who. There's only so much you can do. If the virus can live on surfaces for up to 9 days surely that's the biggest risk.

Our daughter lives at home, goes to work. There's an infinitely bigger chance of her bringing something home than me catching it on the golf course.

We have the same situation. However the Government of the day has to make plans that are best for the majority and across the whole population which inevitably means there will be winners and losers at the individual level - sad but true.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's the best time for London won't be the best time for a village up on the North Yorks Moors that gets 2 visitors a week. Where do you draw the line?
Along those lines, Northumberland is currently one of only 3 counties without any records cases. Business as usual here, apart from the supermarket looking as busy as a Christmas eve. Golf course was busy yesterday, afternoon tea at Close House showed plenty of golfers and people having an afternoon out, main shopping street looked like any standard Saturday. It is quite surreal seeing the news and reading social media and up here leading an entirely regular life. I'm washing my hands more often but otherwise that is it.

I know it will come here but being extra rural is a benefit right now.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Shame the Chinese who
Obviously, no need to follow advice. Experts know nothing. It’s all blown out of proportion, no one is really that ill.

The Spanish ignored advice, just like the UK is now. 2000 new cases and more than 100 new deaths in the last 24 hours.

At least it will be the stupid people who die.

I live in Spain, and it didnt even feel like they ignored advice, the numbers just exploded in Madrid and all of a sudden it's a national problem, all in a few days. No reason why that won't happen in the UK.
I'm housebound for two weeks minimum, hopefully it's the right path to take for the country.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
What's the best time for London won't be the best time for a village up on the North Yorks Moors that gets 2 visitors a week. Where do you draw the line?

Fair point Brian, but draw it too soon and you potentially create more of a problem than drawing it later. And does a village on the North Yorks moors need the same line drawn as London or any other conurbation?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Surely this proposal is OTT. What risk is there going to the first tee without visiting the clubhouse, playing 18, then going straight home. Unless it's made mandatory I won't be doing it. With no golf I'd be more likely to be killed by my wife.!

As one who would be affected, I think we need to see the bigger picture.
As an over 70 , if you get the virus you would likely get ill enough to be hospitalised. Therefore you are going to add to the strain on the resources of the health service.
If you stay at home then you would be less likely to get the virus. Still a good chance you'd get it but much less a chance than if you go out.
In your (our) specific scenario of playing golf, you may become infected by touching things- pins, balls etc. Touching absolutely nothing other than your own equipment isn't guaranteed.
I think it will be a mandatory thing.
I will be really miffed at no golf, as much as anyone, but we are in a serious situation . At least the Government think so. To put out pleas for engineering companies to divert their production and to make ventilators instead says a lot about their expectations. And it is us old farts they have in mind?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't see how isolation for the over 70's will work. They still need to go out and get medication and food and that age group in particular won't all have a support network to help them
Like many I now get my regular medication delivered by post... just Statins, antihistamines & an inhaler. I haven't smoked for 20 years but did for half my life so there's going to be lung damage that may be cause vulnerability by the affect of the virus. Just hope it doesn't become "an unlying condition" for me.
I think I'll still be playing golf however.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Most golf clubs will have a record of members ages, so they should be temporarily suspended from the course.
Will club's do that? My club has a good percentage of over seventies
I know a few members in their mid sixties who use buggies because of chest issues, now I'm a healthy guy who turns 70 at the end of April, would it be prudent of the club to suspend me while allowing others with known health issues that put them at high risk to this virus, to access the course?
My wife has an autoimmune condition with a son 22 and daughter 16 at school still in the house I see them as more of risk to my wife.
However if it is mandatory I will abide by the rules, otherwise I will get up to the course at dawn like I used to sometimes when coming of the Nightshift, spent many a nice morning on an empty course with the dew and dawn chorus for company.

D

Deleted member 1147

I can't see how isolation for the over 70's will work. They still need to go out and get medication and food and that age group in particular won't all have a support network to help them
Family, friends, neighbours etc can collect, drop off etc

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really quite worrying, just seen on F/book that a local care home has 6 residents with the virus :cry:.
Only upside is I'll be saving a fortune on dining out, when we self isolate.
But we'll still need to go shopping :confused:

Wolf

Visit site
On a slightly more morbid note. Took a call from my dad he informed me his cousin who he was close to had passed away during the day not Corona related, funeral dates obviously need to be arranged etc however his question was what do people expect to happen in the cases where such events need to be attended, or in my dads dark humour these are the only parties he gets invited to now. If we do go lock down and over 70s can't go out what does happen to attending funerals of relatives or loved ones for the likes of my parents?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On a slightly more morbid note. Took a call from my dad he informed me his cousin who he was close to had passed away during the day not Corona related, funeral dates obviously need to be arranged etc however his question was what do people expect to happen in the cases where such events need to be attended, or in my dads dark humour these are the only parties he gets invited to now. If we do go lock down and over 70s can't go out what does happen to attending funerals of relatives or loved ones for the likes of my parents?
You would hope their will be some sort of dispensation to attend the funeral of a loved one.

D

Deleted member 1147

But not every elderly person has the benefit of a decent support network and some are actually alone and isolated (no pun intended). It is something we see highlighted every Christmas
There are groups advertising their offers of help (free of charge).
But yes, some will get ignored, unfortunately!