Is your club Charging Fees for the time the course will be closed?

Is your club Charging Fees for the time the course will be closed?

• Yes

Votes: 95 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • Not Decided

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters

Cue_147

Hacker
Visit site
Then surely a future gesture would be an alternative. A rebate or reduction down the line once the finances are in order for those who supported the club during this period.

I know that I sound mercenary about the whole thing and that, as I have explained, is because I do not have an emotional attachment to the club I am at. Sports facilities like gyms have taken the approach that to forgo subscriptions for a few months is worth it to encourage people to still be members at the end of all this. Golf clubs, well mine at least, have taken the approach of 'we need the money and so you have to commit hundreds of pounds now to pay for a service that you cannot use at a time when your future income is uncertain and, you know what, if not enough of you pay now, we may have to charge you all even more next year to make up for it'. Wonder how may clubs tucked away that big tax rebate from a few years ago to cover eventualities such as this.

My club has asked people to keep paying membership with no mention of a refund for time lost and won't commit to anything in writing.

This is a privately owned club with a multi-millionaire owner. I'll be keeping my money... in my pocket, thank you.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine is a proprietary club and I have no attachment to it. I would have no issue leaving and like you, I use it to play golf, have a drink after and that is it. It is not my social life.

I agree with the post from fundy, the costs of a golf club can not be put on hold to the same degree as a gym. I also don't think most clubs are flush enough to offer a reduction or rebate, I am certain mine is not. They may not survive this as it stands if they stay closed until May for example.

I fully agree. From my point of view, I have seen costs go up 25% over the last 5 years and a further 5% next year, the club has had a big tax rebate, the club makes money from societies and from pay and play golfers in the week etc. On that basis, I would expect the club to have the finances to weather a storm. As I found out at the SGM, it does not. On that basis, I am currently of the opinion that the expenditure has not been as well managed as it could be and I left the last meeting of the opinion that the members were seen as a bottomless wallet whose cash can be extracted to make up for the sins of what is always previous committees. Sadly not willing to sing to that tune any more. More interested in value and a quality product than giving my all for the preservation of the club.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The view of many members at my club when the weather closed the club for so long, was, it’s an annual fee, not a monthly one, it gets wrongly pigeon holed as monthly solely because of payment schemes, as such if anyone gets anything back I think you’ve done well, but I won’t expect anything back in any format from any of my memberships, if I do, I’ll donate if to a charity as all I’ve actual lost is the ability to play golf, I’ve lost nothing financially as it was paid and allocated anyway.

Springveldt

Visit site
Mine is a proprietary club and I have no attachment to it. I would have no issue leaving and like you, I use it to play golf, have a drink after and that is it. It is not my social life.

I agree with the post from fundy, the costs of a golf club can not be put on hold to the same degree as a gym. I also don't think most clubs are flush enough to offer a reduction or rebate, I am certain mine is not. They may not survive this as it stands if they stay closed until May for example.
When you think about it, a club may have zero outgoings really through the shutdown as the staff are going to be entitled to 80% of their wage from the government. The club don't have to pay the other 20% if they can't afford it, although that does suck for the staff. The VAT and business rates have also been put back and I think the government was also dishing out grants of some sorts. Maybe I'm being a bit naive here, wouldn't be the first time.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I fully agree. From my point of view, I have seen costs go up 25% over the last 5 years and a further 5% next year, the club has had a big tax rebate, the club makes money from societies and from pay and play golfers in the week etc. On that basis, I would expect the club to have the finances to weather a storm. As I found out at the SGM, it does not. On that basis, I am currently of the opinion that the expenditure has not been as well managed as it could be and I left the last meeting of the opinion that the members were seen as a bottomless wallet whose cash can be extracted to make up for the sins of what is always previous committees. Sadly not willing to sing to that tune any more. More interested in value and a quality product than giving my all for the preservation of the club.

there used to be a lot of clubs that operated on that basis, i expect financial pressure has meant a lot have improved but plenty are run on a pretty amateur basis still and think they can always turn the tap for a little more

IF i ran a club, I think I would be asking for those who can afford to to keep paying their subs to ensure staff are paid etc whilst those who genuinely cant afford to put theirs on hold until things are clearer further down the line with a promise to ensure people are rightfully rewarded down the line

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
there used to be a lot of clubs that operated on that basis, i expect financial pressure has meant a lot have improved but plenty are run on a pretty amateur basis still and think they can always turn the tap for a little more

IF i ran a club, I think I would be asking for those who can afford to to keep paying their subs to ensure staff are paid etc whilst those who genuinely cant afford to put theirs on hold until things are clearer further down the line with a promise to ensure people are rightfully rewarded down the line

I would even have been happy to reduce the commitment. Even if for a year you could leave at any time then this would allow people some room to see how their finances and the situation panned out, accepting that they may lose a month or 2 of fees. Committing for a whole year is asking a lot in the circumstances.

The other point you make is reward further down the line. The attitude at my club gives me the impression that the only reward that those members will get is a massive increase next year in their fees to make up the subscriptions. Then again, that may move towards making the club the elitist haven that some of the membership want.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When you think about it, a club may have zero outgoings really through the shutdown as the staff are going to be entitled to 80% of their wage from the government. The club don't have to pay the other 20% if they can't afford it, although that does suck for the staff. The VAT and business rates have also been put back and I think the government was also dishing out grants of some sorts. Maybe I'm being a bit naive here, wouldn't be the first time.
The greenstaff are still working so no 80% rebate on their wages. Fertilizer, fuel etc is still needed. Do clubs qualify for the rates rebate? Big bonus if they do. VAT may be put back but it will still have to be paid.

Clubs are also missing out other income they would normally get, bar takings, green fees, catering. That is often a key part of income.

You are quite right that there are some protections and if clubs are only closed for a few weeks then they should be able to ride it out. If they can't cope for 3 weeks then frankly they were on the edge anyway. The 80% policy is going to be a real life saver for many clubs, businesses etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funnily enough I have just received an email from my club reminding anyone who has not paid their subs, due by the end of this month, then could they please do so. 'Greenstaff need paying, course maintenance, equipment etc still needs to be paid'. I'm sure a lot of clubs who run April to April will be sending out similar emails.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine is a proprietary owned club, I have no loyalty at all and in fact, since I joined in September I’ve been extremely disappointed with the place. To the point where lots of people are leaving, lots are complaining and being allowed to end their membership early and leave. (Pay monthly through fairway credit, based on a rolling year.)

So, prior to coronavirus I was close to reaching the decision to ask to cancel my membership, and was pretty much just waiting to receive clubshop vouchers from a couple of comps before complaining.

Now that the course is shut for god knows how long, I seriously doubt they’ll be so willing to let people tear up their contracts, and so it looks like I’m stuck paying for something I can’t use.

As you can probably tell, there’s no love lost between the owners and the members!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Paid my subs in January I have an account at the bank I put £150 a month in so when due I just pay it.
Not expecting any rebate as it dosnt bother me and I get my money’s worth.
But can appreciate some are not as fortunate as me and priorities differ.
A lot of work is going on at the club ,all new bunkers so when this is over the course should be ready.
As long as staff are working.
Missing my golf already god knows what I will be like in another 3 weeks.

Grumps

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve just joined deer park last month they emailed the country club membership would not be applied for but now this week they have added the golf to that so won’t be forking our while course is closed. Even though I wouldn’t have looking for a discount I think this is a good move from the owners

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My membership runs from the start of July to end of June. It's all fullypaid for this year, and I don't expect any reductions for next year. The club still has costs and wages to pay, just because nature has given us all a headache isn't the clubs fault.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Enville fees are paid in October and WP at the start of May. WP have said they will not take and DD for the time closed. Enville have not commented but can't see anything being given back. Personally, I am not bothered as I would pay both. I don't want either to fail and as Bunkermagnet said - It is not the clubs fault.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
With subs now due in a lot of cases, i guess this is a burning question?

All the local gyms/ health clubs i have heard about have said they will not charge but not sure on many golf clubs?

Personally don't get the comparison with a gym and a golf course.

Unless your course is run as a business and you are paying for a service, I think it's a real poor show to expect a rebate or refund. A gym is a profit seeking enterprise and as such you are paying for access, as such that business takes on the risk.

A golf club, is a member owned, member run facility and as such members share in the risk and responsibility.

In reality, a lot of golf clubs will not survive the next few months and unless you didn't care about your club possibly going under or changing significantly, then those who can and who expect to continue playing, should pay up.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Should add that if the club genuinely saved money through the crisis... due to government handouts, rebates, wage payments etc. then ultimately that money will be for the benefit of the members.

Ultimately a club may decide to refund members, but given most clubs aren't flush with cash it's more likely to go towards the running costs / maintenance / course repairs etc.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally don't get the comparison with a gym and a golf course.

Unless your course is run as a business and you are paying for a service, I think it's a real poor show to expect a rebate or refund. A gym is a profit seeking enterprise and as such you are paying for access, as such that business takes on the risk.

A golf club, is a member owned, member run facility and as such members share in the risk and responsibility.

In reality, a lot of golf clubs will not survive the next few months and unless you didn't care about your club possibly going under or changing significantly, then those who can and who expect to continue playing, should pay up.

A lot of golf clubs are proprietary so this is certainly relevant. I am all for supporting clubs and being loyal but think that a member-owned club will get a lot more support in this sense than your average proprietary one. There is no right answer and costs and ability to survive - and hence what incentives can be offered - will vary dramatically. And by the way - don't have a go at me as i have not offered any opinion one way or another. I was just interested to see what different clubs are doing and what different people think.

D

Deleted member 1740

A lot of golf clubs are proprietary so this is certainly relevant. I am all for supporting clubs and being loyal but think that a member-owned club will get a lot more support in this sense than your average proprietary one. There is no right answer and costs and ability to survive - and hence what incentives can be offered - will vary dramatically. And by the way - don't have a go at me as i have not offered any opinion one way or another. I was just interested to see what different clubs are doing and what different people think.

How comfortable is that fence slasher ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Subs were due at the start of March and so many will have been in although members do have until the end of the month to get payment in or set up a DD. I am hoping most will have paid before lockdown and those that don't will cough up anyway (or technically they won't be members). Get the cash in now and we can look at discounts/refunds at a later date. Lets have a club to return to