Is your club Charging Fees for the time the course will be closed?

Is your club Charging Fees for the time the course will be closed?

• Yes

Votes: 95 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • Not Decided

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had an email not long ago from the Finance Board Member.
Mainly outlining how we stand, what we hope to get from Boris and...please pay your subs!
If everything goes reasonably then well be ok and there may be scope for a rebate this time next year
The trouble with all this is that theres no way of knowing how long this is going to last so everything is pure speculation

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Paid for Nairn in December, as thats due 1st jan, but the kings is 1st April, not paid that yet as they want a bank transfer, not got round to doing that yet, usually just pay by debit card

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Our payments are still in action, in the same way we would continue to pay subs if the course was closed due to inclement weather. However, we have been told that if the course remains closed passed the 1st May, we'll get a credit against next years subs. The length of the credit will be dependent upon the length of closure, and we will be advised as the situation changes .

D

Deleted member 21258

Not heard from any of the clubs I belong to, but early days to be fair to the clubs. So don't know if there will be extensions, free periods, maybe things like free guest fees afterwards to offset paying. Last of the clubs I paid last week for the coming year.

So voted Not decided, as don't know the answer.

I kind of would be disappointed if nothing was done, would even be happy with say 4-6 guest fees free, a gesture ,if they are closed for a long period or like.

But will wait and see, for me the money has been spent and gone out of the bank.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Mines August 1st, many members haven't played for months at times due to the wet weather and now could be even more months in this situation. I was lucky to play a lot at Woodhall which I renewed in January for a year.

Will be interesting to see if our subs change due to the lack of revenue over a very wet winter and now this virus outbreak!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club are, as far as I am aware, still charging the full amount and want paying or signing up for the year by 10th April No mention of any credits or rebates. I say as far as I am aware as I appear to have been taken off the mailing list when I advised that I was not renewing a few weeks ago despite being a member until the end of April.

This is going to be an issue for no end of people. They are going to be paying for something that they cannot use for an unspecified period and to commit for a year at a time when their own income may be uncertain. I think that the clubs who are looking to proceed as normal with subs may be taking a narrow view on this and missing a bigger picture. Whether they can afford to look at the bigger picture is another issue.

One of my concerns would have been the cost next year. As a private members club, the committee wanted an 8.5% increase this year to take into account increased salary costs, maintenance costs and the losses over the wet period. I can see that being a 20-25% increase next year to make up for the lost income from all revenue streams over the lockdown period. That would take golf out of the price bracket that many would be willing to pay.

I know that people shoot down the analogy but I do not see too much difference between my golf club and my gym. Both have rent, rates, wages, utilities, staff, suppliers etc to pay but the gym has stopped all direct debits whilst the club still wants paying. The gym are helping in the community, the PTs are on Instagram every day for no cost giving members at home fitness sessions etc. The golf club have not done anything. How hard, for example, would it be for the pro to work out some home drills for everyone to put on social media.

I am different as I have only ever seen a golf club as somewhere to play golf and appreciate my views differ from most on here.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes - but we'll get 50% off pro-rata cost of lost months back by that being taken off two subsequently years subs. The other 50% stays with the club - and is ours in any case (being a members club). Basic subs for next year might have to go up - hopefully not by more than normal small % increase - but that'll be offset by money back from this year.

Springveldt

Visit site
Yep, mine is still expecting full fees with no mention of rebates, pro-rata, discount next year or even a goodwill few quid on your bar card.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If people don't pay then the club may not be there after this is over. If it snowed would you expect a rebate? If it flooded would you expect one?

I think gestures such as invite a guest for free, 3-4 vouchers, would be a nice touch if they are closed for too long but to take revenue away could cripple a club when it is already losing revenue from bar sales, green fees etc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a member has paid their fees by the due date, 31st March, for any period that we are closed they will get a pro-rata credit against next years fees.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If people don't pay then the club may not be there after this is over. If it snowed would you expect a rebate? If it flooded would you expect one?

I think gestures such as invite a guest for free, 3-4 vouchers, would be a nice touch if they are closed for too long but to take revenue away could cripple a club when it is already losing revenue from bar sales, green fees etc.

Then surely a future gesture would be an alternative. A rebate or reduction down the line once the finances are in order for those who supported the club during this period.

I know that I sound mercenary about the whole thing and that, as I have explained, is because I do not have an emotional attachment to the club I am at. Sports facilities like gyms have taken the approach that to forgo subscriptions for a few months is worth it to encourage people to still be members at the end of all this. Golf clubs, well mine at least, have taken the approach of 'we need the money and so you have to commit hundreds of pounds now to pay for a service that you cannot use at a time when your future income is uncertain and, you know what, if not enough of you pay now, we may have to charge you all even more next year to make up for it'. Wonder how may clubs tucked away that big tax rebate from a few years ago to cover eventualities such as this.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My club are, as far as I am aware, still charging the full amount and want paying or signing up for the year by 10th April No mention of any credits or rebates. I say as far as I am aware as I appear to have been taken off the mailing list when I advised that I was not renewing a few weeks ago despite being a member until the end of April.

This is going to be an issue for no end of people. They are going to be paying for something that they cannot use for an unspecified period and to commit for a year at a time when their own income may be uncertain. I think that the clubs who are looking to proceed as normal with subs may be taking a narrow view on this and missing a bigger picture. Whether they can afford to look at the bigger picture is another issue.

One of my concerns would have been the cost next year. As a private members club, the committee wanted an 8.5% increase this year to take into account increased salary costs, maintenance costs and the losses over the wet period. I can see that being a 20-25% increase next year to make up for the lost income from all revenue streams over the lockdown period. That would take golf out of the price bracket that many would be willing to pay.

I know that people shoot down the analogy but I do not see too much difference between my golf club and my gym. Both have rent, rates, wages, utilities, staff, suppliers etc to pay but the gym has stopped all direct debits whilst the club still wants paying. The gym are helping in the community, the PTs are on Instagram every day for no cost giving members at home fitness sessions etc. The golf club have not done anything. How hard, for example, would it be for the pro to work out some home drills for everyone to put on social media.

I am different as I have only ever seen a golf club as somewhere to play golf and appreciate my views differ from most on here.

The big difference between the gym and the golf course is about 200 acres. The gym can pretty much turn everything off and be incurring very little marginal costs, a day after the all clear they will be able to open back up and be close to full speed almost immediately. The golf course will either need to be maintained during or will be in a state that it cant open immediately and will require a great deal of work before it can

The other difference is between members clubs and proprietary, the proprietary I would be far more likely to treat as I would the gym, the members club however I can see how it would need to be viewed differently to some degree

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The big difference between the gym and the golf course is about 200 acres. The gym can pretty much turn everything off and be incurring very little marginal costs, a day after the all clear they will be able to open back up and be close to full speed almost immediately. The golf course will either need to be maintained during or will be in a state that it cant open immediately and will require a great deal of work before it can

The other difference is between members clubs and proprietary, the proprietary I would be far more likely to treat as I would the gym, the members club however I can see how it would need to be viewed differently to some degree

A golf club, however, has a substantially larger membership, wider revenue streams, higher annual fees etc. As I said, much of my opinion is my lack of sentimental or emotional attachment to my club and that does impact on my current feeling.

D

Deleted member 1740

I’m a nomad but if I was a fee paying member I wouldn’t be expecting a refund or discount on my subs. I’m of the opinion that you pay to support and commit to the club. Those people who expect a refund/discount would be the 1st ones to moan the greens are a bit long or the fairway hasn’t been cut. Members Clubs are more than just a course.

This is an unprecedented issue, at some point you’ve just got to take a loss on the chin.

Springveldt

Visit site
I’m a nomad but if I was a fee paying member I wouldn’t be expecting a refund or discount on my subs. I’m of the opinion that you pay to support and commit to the club. Those people who expect a refund/discount would be the 1st ones to moan the greens are a bit long or the fairway hasn’t been cut. Members Clubs are more than just a course.

This is an unprecedented issue, at some point you’ve just got to take a loss on the chin.
Member clubs may be more than a course for some but not for me really. I've been a member for 4 years but I'm not originally from this area so I don't hold a great deal of loyalty to the club, it's not like I've been a member for over 20 years like some of the lads I play with. I managed 17 qualifiers last year and I've managed maybe 5 rounds since October, so 22 rounds in total. I live 10 miles from the club so I never attend the social stuff and going by the emails, neither does anyone else. Now the course is going to be closed again for an indefinite amount of time yet they are expecting me to cough up £800 and even said "for those that are thinking of resigning then rejoining later we will still charge you the full fee".

It's not like I'm stuck for golf in this area, I've got another 5 courses that are closer to me than my club right now (all 5 within 5 miles of my door step), I'm seriously considering being a nomad next season when the courses finally open as a handicap isn't the be all and end all of golf. I wouldn't have a problem with booking a Sunday morning time for myself at other courses in the area and going out and playing on my own.

Guess I have a bit of thinking to do over the next few days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then surely a future gesture would be an alternative. A rebate or reduction down the line once the finances are in order for those who supported the club during this period.

I know that I sound mercenary about the whole thing and that, as I have explained, is because I do not have an emotional attachment to the club I am at. Sports facilities like gyms have taken the approach that to forgo subscriptions for a few months is worth it to encourage people to still be members at the end of all this. Golf clubs, well mine at least, have taken the approach of 'we need the money and so you have to commit hundreds of pounds now to pay for a service that you cannot use at a time when your future income is uncertain and, you know what, if not enough of you pay now, we may have to charge you all even more next year to make up for it'. Wonder how may clubs tucked away that big tax rebate from a few years ago to cover eventualities such as this.
Mine is a proprietary club and I have no attachment to it. I would have no issue leaving and like you, I use it to play golf, have a drink after and that is it. It is not my social life.

I agree with the post from fundy, the costs of a golf club can not be put on hold to the same degree as a gym. I also don't think most clubs are flush enough to offer a reduction or rebate, I am certain mine is not. They may not survive this as it stands if they stay closed until May for example.