Is this a hole in one?

Mandofred

Visit site
1. A golf ball is round. (dimples make it slightly imperfect though)
2. It looks to me from the picture that just over 50% of the ball is over the lip of the hole. (barely, but over)
3. If over 50% of the ball is past the lip of the hole then the lowest point on a golf ball has to be below the top level of the grass.

It's in.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. A golf ball is round. (dimples make it slightly imperfect though)
2. It looks to me from the picture that just over 50% of the ball is over the lip of the hole. (barely, but over)
3. If over 50% of the ball is past the lip of the hole then the lowest point on a golf ball has to be below the top level of the grass.

It's in.
It looks to me like rather less than 50% of the ball is overhanging the hole - so as far as I can see, none of the ball is below the lip of the hole. Rule 13.2c is straightforward.
Ball not holed. Can't believe there's been 4 pages arguing the toss when it was answered in post #4

Mandofred

Visit site
It looks to me like rather less than 50% of the ball is overhanging the hole - so as far as I can see, none of the ball is below the lip of the hole. Rule 13.2c is straightforward.
Ball not holed. Can't believe there's been 4 pages arguing the toss when it was answered in post #4
I don't know how you see less than 50%, especially with the edge/angle of the hole heading even further under the ball from what you can see.....but if there was you would be right. No way to actually measure that I know of....but still makes for a nice crazy discussion.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't know how you see less than 50%, especially with the edge/angle of the hole heading even further under the ball from what you can see.....but if there was you would be right. No way to actually measure that I know of....but still makes for a nice crazy discussion.

I suspect backwoodsman thinks your post 80 is in reply to the pic in post 1... when it is actually a reply to the 2nd example pic in post 74 :whistle:

Mandofred

Visit site
I suspect backwoodsman thinks your post 80 is in reply to the pic in post 1... when it is actually a reply to the 2nd example pic in post 74 :whistle:
I went back to look at that pick from 74 again....I still can't really understand how the hole collapsed that much. Really soft green I guess?

Another argument I could have for the original pic.....while not impossible, if the ball was less than 50% over the hole it would be a lot less likely to end up against the flag. If it was a little (tiny tiny bit) more than 50% over the hole the ball would stay there a lot easier. Just betting the odds/percentages (and not measuring, which I can't do) the weight of the ball dropping into a depression and staying there is more likely. I still think it would have been hilarious to have actually been there if this is a real shot.....the arguing between players about whether it counted or not would last for years..... I was still hearing one guy I play with arguing about whether his ball that bounced off the flag should have counted or not from months ago.

I'm going to get tired of the crappy weather pretty soon.....ice coming back in a couple of days with no end in sight.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I went back to look at that pick from 74 again....I still can't really understand how the hole collapsed that much. Really soft green I guess?

Another argument I could have for the original pic.....while not impossible, if the ball was less than 50% over the hole it would be a lot less likely to end up against the flag. If it was a little (tiny tiny bit) more than 50% over the hole the ball would stay there a lot easier. Just betting the odds/percentages (and not measuring, which I can't do) the weight of the ball dropping into a depression and staying there is more likely. I still think it would have been hilarious to have actually been there if this is a real shot.....the arguing between players about whether it counted or not would last for years..... I was still hearing one guy I play with arguing about whether his ball that bounced off the flag should have counted or not from months ago.

I'm going to get tired of the crappy weather pretty soon.....ice coming back in a couple of days with no end in sight.

Bottom line for me;

if I'm in the clubhouse I'll take the offered drink from whoever's ball that was in the opening post..... but it ain't a HIO :LOL:

As for the weather, you know you have another month or two of the bad stuff but at least you're more than half way through the season, chin up(y)
(me, I went swimming in the ocean at 6:30 this morning, it was glorious :cool:)

Mandofred

Visit site
Bottom line for me;

if I'm in the clubhouse I'll take the offered drink from whoever's ball that was in the opening post..... but it ain't a HIO :LOL:

As for the weather, you know you have another month or two of the bad stuff but at least you're more than half way through the season, chin up(y)
(me, I went swimming in the ocean at 6:30 this morning, it was glorious :cool:)
I consider winter to be pretty well over. To me the worst thing about winter is how dark it is. We are now getting 2 minutes back morning and night now....so just another couple of weeks and it will be half way decent.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
How much do you need? :cool:

Or alternatively, pay my airfare & I'll do it myself (with a bit of luck on 18th green of Ile aux Cerfs)

That reminds me that I bought a bunch of pre-paid green fees for this place just as courses were opening up again, works out at £18 a round inc cart! Need to get them used up soon...

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
This problem wouldn't exist if the diameter of the flag was such that it was not possible for a ball to rest against the flagstick & not go in. I've seen some on TV recently which narrow down towards the bottom. Wouldn't be a bad idea now, anyway, with everyone having to putt with the flag in.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This problem wouldn't exist if the diameter of the flag was such that it was not possible for a ball to rest against the flagstick & not go in. I've seen some on TV recently which narrow down towards the bottom. Wouldn't be a bad idea now, anyway, with everyone having to putt with the flag in.

Or the hole was bigger, where's Delc? :LOL:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
That reminds me that I bought a bunch of pre-paid green fees for this place just as courses were opening up again, works out at £18 a round inc cart! Need to get them used up soon...
You're not actually overly endearing yourself to the rest of us with comments like this you know ...
Anyone would think you don't want the hit lifted ?? :)