Is this a hole in one?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know where you're coming from but there is one exception, ie when the hole is below the ball on a slope.

In the original pic, if the wind is blowing the pin towards the ball (or the pin is just poorly replaced) but the slope is going down from the ball to the hole, it's possible that the ball is currently fully above ground but might fall in if the pin is removed.

There has to be a clear definition of when the ball is holed, there is no practical way to account for a ball that is not in the hole because it might have gone in if the pin wasn't stopping it.
I'm just trying to picture how it would go in 95% of real world scenarios really. I think/hope people would know the difference between it dropping naturally and the wind blowing it in. And the hole shouldn't be situated on slope that steep that the ball wouldn't sit still? But anyway, I would say at the very least you get an agreement with who you're playing with - not just whack the stick hope it goes in, say it's holed and walk off. ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

What ?!

The ball comes to rest - it’s stops moving and the ball has not been holed

You can’t then make the ball move again so that it drops in the ball - it doesn’t matter if the flag stopped it from going in - thats just the rub of the green

Once the ball is at rest - shot over , it has not broken the plane of the putting surface as claimed

The rules are there - whether that’s a fair rule or not can be a debated but that ball in that picture has not been holed
At what point is the ball deemed to be at rest? This situation is on a par 3, if that was the first shot played in a 4 ball by the time the player gets to the green it could 4 or 5 minutes after the shot has been played. A gust of wind moves the flag and the ball drops in just as he approaches the green. So when is the ball 'at rest'?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Ah right, no that was only in reply to him saying the ball would've gone in if the flag had been centered
I was referring to the ball having gone in in the photo shown, not hitting it with enough speed to deflect it 20 feet away.

D

Deleted member 15344

At what point is the ball deemed to be at rest? This situation is on a par 3, if that was the first shot played in a 4 ball by the time the player gets to the green it could 4 or 5 minutes after the shot has been played. A gust of wind moves the flag and the ball drops in just as he approaches the green. So when is the ball 'at rest'?

All covered in here

https://www.randa.org/Rog/2019/Rules/The-Rules-of-Golf/Rule-9

Surely it comes down to common sense - you will know when the ball is at rest - when you reach the ball and it’s stopped moving

If the ball blows into the hole whilst you are walking to it then it’s holed

YandaB

Visit site
It's exactly the same scenario as if you'd hit a putt and the ball was overhanging.

You have a "reasonable time" to get to the hole plus 10 seconds for it to drop.

Pre-empting anyone who wants to create a "reasonable time" argument, the answer to that is obviously just walk up to the ball in normal fashion.
Presumambly you are mot allowed to centre the flag stick in those 10 seconds?

YandaB

Visit site
Think about where the stroke was made from.
Are you suggesting that the rule is only for on the green? What if I was chipping it in? The tee shot could be regarded as a giant extension of that.

I'm only exploring the options here. Post #4 is indeed clear as @Whereditgo points out. But if you take the 10 seconds from when you get there and if you are allowed to centre the flagstick, what defines the precedence of the order that the rules are applied? Do you simply take the clearest for the situation - post #4 and ignore the rest?

D

Deleted member 23270

There are so many pedantic people on here that will try to pull you up for anything they can so I think the safest option in future is to have the flag attended for tee shots on all par 3 holes. In fact, include driveable par 4 holes as well.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you suggesting that the rule is only for on the green? What if I was chipping it in? The tee shot could be regarded as a giant extension of that.

I'm only exploring the options here. Post #4 is indeed clear as @Whereditgo points out. But if you take the 10 seconds from when you get there and if you are allowed to centre the flagstick, what defines the precedence of the order that the rules are applied? Do you simply take the clearest for the situation - post #4 and ignore the rest?

The situation as described (Ball resting against flagstick in hole) is dealt with in 13.2c. That's it, done, finished, no need or point in going through the rules to find another similar situation, waiting 10 seconds, flagstick centring, etc because the exact situation is done and dusted.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Ball Resting against Flagstick in Hole
If your ball comes to rest against the flagstick left in the hole, and any part of your ball is in the hole below the surface of the putting green, your ball is treated as holed.
If no part of your ball is in the hole below the surface of the putting green:

Surely this rule covers it, any part means even a fraction of a mm

D

Deleted Member 1156

Ball Resting against Flagstick in Hole
If your ball comes to rest against the flagstick left in the hole, and any part of your ball is in the hole below the surface of the putting green, your ball is treated as holed.
If no part of your ball is in the hole below the surface of the putting green:

Surely this rule covers it, any part means even a fraction of a mm
Yes that covers it, better start carrying a micrometer in your bag ?