Is there a scratch player in you ??

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Interesting comment on Mark Crossfields latest vid about Rory, where both him (MC) and Coach Lockey said that there was a scratch player in him, and I get exactly what they were saying...

So, do you believe there is a scratch player in you ??

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Is there a scratch player in me? Hahahahaha.....hahahahahahahaha....
No, not even close. Even though I’ve broke par on a number of occasions, the most recent being just a few weeks ago at the ripe old age of 59 I know I’ll never be a scratch handicapper.

Been down the route of mega practice, and some coaching off one of Yorkshire’s top coaches it was never going to happen.

Nice little chortle thinking about it though...

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Is there a scratch player in me? Hahahahaha.....hahahahahahahaha....
No, not even close. Even though I’ve broke par on a number of occasions, the most recent being just a few weeks ago at the ripe old age of 59 I know I’ll never be a scratch handicapper.

Been down the route of mega practice, and some coaching off one of Yorkshire’s top coaches it was never going to happen.

Nice little chortle thinking about it though...

I think you may have missed the point that was being made, either that or I have.

D

Deleted member 15717

Interesting comment on Mark Crossfields latest vid about Rory, where both him (MC) and Coach Lockey said that there was a scratch player in him, and I get exactly what they were saying...

So, do you believe there is a scratch player in you ??

Yes, I do. Getting there is obscenely difficult, but there are flashes where playing scratch Golf is effortless.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I was scratching like mad with the midges last night. As close as I'll get to using the word scratch and golf in the same sentence!

Genuinely - absolutely not a chance. I've played with a few scratch golfers and their game is night and day compared to mine. Not even close. Actually I've played with 4 handicap golfers who are far far superior to me.

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Yes there is a scratch golfer in me, he is the one convincing me to try impossible shots that for some strange reason, mostly don’t end well.

Need him to take a hike

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think you may have missed the point that was being made, either that or I have.

I did wonder....but playing to scratch and being a scratch player are 2 different things. I’m (currently) a 5 handicapper who can break scratch but I’m not a scratch player, would be my interpretation.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nope there isnt a scratch golfer in me - i have played to scratch and below a number of times but not consistent enough to get the Handicap down to that level.

And i believe there isnt a scratch player inside everyone - we will always be limited by our own natural ability and also the level of playing time we can achieve

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I did wonder....but playing to scratch and being a scratch player are 2 different things. I’m (currently) a 5 handicapper who can break scratch but I’m not a scratch player, would be my interpretation.

My interpretation is different. I'm 6, and have never broken par on any round but do I potentially have the game in flashes, absolutely, and I don't mean the odd shot in a round, will I ever be scratch, no. I have an eclectic of 15 under on my course so far this season, stringing things together is what scratch players can do, others like myself just can't.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
def not, but i only started playing in my 40 when flexibility was limited and already had other sports related injury's.

Maybe if i'd started as a youngster, but golf was of no interest to me back then

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not in me despite having played to level par and under on numerous occasions. Trouble is those numerous occasions were over a span of 20 years.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I doubt there is one in me.

This is only my 4th year playing though and have seen massive improvements this season already but currently cannot see how I would ever get down that low. If I could get down to below 5 i'd be delighted but single figures is my next challenge.

D

Deleted Member 1156

No. If I had a decent short game there would be a 2 or 3 capper in me at best.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
def not, but i only started playing in my 40 when flexibility was limited and already had other sports related injury's.

Maybe if i'd started as a youngster, but golf was of no interest to me back then

I've seen you play rubbish and you play well and I think otherwise, you may never make it to scratch but on your game you could give a scratch player a game, that to me means there is a scratch player in you.