Is there a scratch player in you ??

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I play off scratch/plus 1. I know how much practice it took to get to the level of play I'm at now but I don't feel I have to work that hard at it to keep it there, i play once or twice a week and practice twice a week which is probably more than the majority of people but it's not much work. I don't think anybody can play off scratch or lower as you need to be mentally tough/adept aswell as being reasonably sound in most areas of the game. I still think if I put more work in I could get to plus 2 or 3 but I'm married and I work so not really realistic at the moment but I know I could get there if I put in more time

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bloody hope not, my raison d'etre is to be the laziest 4 h/capper on this earth, and do it via hardly any practice at all.

I'm currently the laziest 5.4 handicapper, until Sunday.......

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
not a chance. I am getting close to taking up bowls, which is what you advocate anyone on 20 (currently 16.5) - despite having had 6 birdies in a practise round of one over and shooting 6 over in a medal

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
5 birdie haul had me playing like a scratch player easily today, unfortunately the three double colonels that went along with it had me playing like a Jackdaw.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There was.:lol:

I took up bowls three years ago after 60 years of playing golf from [Pro to 14 handicap].

I love it.
Much more friendly and sociable than golf and you don't have to be a very good player to fit in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a snowballs. There is a single figure player doing its best to remain hidden but I think 9 (possibly 8 at a push) would be my absolute limit. It's a very big ask and I know a few very good low Cat 1 players that have never made the jump.

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nope! Have played to 5 twice this year, but neither in qualifying rounds. So maybe a chance to get a good bit lower than I am, but scratch? No way.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not a snowballs. There is a single figure player doing its best to remain hidden but I think 9 (possibly 8 at a push) would be my absolute limit. It's a very big ask and I know a few very good low Cat 1 players that have never made the jump.

I thought you'd been as low as 4?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes but what has that got to do with it? I wasn't good enough as a 16 year old to get any lower and sure as heck won't be happening now.

Just seems strange to me that if you were able to get to 4 you now reckon the best you can do is 8 or 9. With modern technology it is a lot easier for us older guys to hit the ball far enough to still shoot low scores.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just seems strange to me that if you were able to get to 4 you now reckon the best you can do is 8 or 9. With modern technology it is a lot easier for us older guys to hit the ball far enough to still shoot low scores.

Why? I'm older, my body isn't as supple and my health not as good as it could be. Technology can only do so much but after 35 years of grinding flaws in perfectly, the technique will always be flawed. You're making more of it than there is.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why? I'm older, my body isn't as supple and my health not as good as it could be. Technology can only do so much but after 35 years of grinding flaws in perfectly, the technique will always be flawed. You're making more of it than there is.

No not really, I've been playing this game longer than you and until last year my handicap was still coming down.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes but what has that got to do with it? I wasn't good enough as a 16 year old to get any lower and sure as heck won't be happening now.

Would you say you've learned anything though with that 20/30 years experience?

Personally speaking, parts of my game (chipping/putting, course management, psychology etc) have improved massively in that time frame even though my driving has gone downhill, swing speed is slowing down and appetite isn't what it was

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
No not really, I've been playing this game longer than you and until last year my handicap was still coming down.
But you’re a healthy man Gordon. The Peter Pan of Golf. Homer has had some well documented health issues, more miles on the clock than a trabant from 1970’s East Germany ;)

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m a million miles away from scratch, don’t hit my wedges well enough, don’t make enough putts. Got down to 6 for 2 weeks this year tho!! :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

It’s not just golf though, everything else in life in that time has its effect as well.

I can relate to what he’s saying!

Well for the amount of time and money spent on lessons and practice I would expect to see some improvement. After all, if he got down to 4 then there is clearly plenty of ability in there.