Is there a scratch player in you ??

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well for the amount of time and money spent on lessons and practice I would expect to see some improvement. After all, if he got down to 4 then there is clearly plenty of ability in there.

But we’ve been blessed with good health & great genetics. Homer hasn’t been so fortunate. With his various hospital stays, spleen removal and brush with alcoholism, it must have had a effect!!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Well for the amount of time and money spent on lessons and practice I would expect to see some improvement. After all, if he got down to 4 then there is clearly plenty of ability in there.

Do you get a kick out of belittling people?

You quite clearly have an unhealthy obsession with Homer. Get over it or rise above it, its becoming very tedious and boring.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Do you get a kick out of belittling people?

You quite clearly have an unhealthy obsession with Homer. Get over it or rise above it, its becoming very tedious and boring.

No problem Crawford, just like you used to have an obsession with me before you changed your name :thup:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
it depends what you class as a scratch player. to travel to different courses and playing to zero often compared to playing you own course that you know like the back of your hand!!!

i know many so called scratch and cat 1 golfers that are never cat 1 in a month of Sundays. maybe they shoot low when the moons of saturn are aligned with capricorn but put them on a course with a moderate amount of difficulty and they fold like a deck of cards.

to be a true scratch player takes utter dedication. my playing partner got to +4 the time he was 18. now he has rent, petrol beer money and women to think of his handicap has take a nose dive

D

Deleted member 15344

it depends what you class as a scratch player. to travel to different courses and playing to zero often compared to playing you own course that you know like the back of your hand!!!

i know many so called scratch and cat 1 golfers that are never cat 1 in a month of Sundays. maybe they shoot low when the moons of saturn are aligned with capricorn but put them on a course with a moderate amount of difficulty and they fold like a deck of cards.

to be a true scratch player takes utter dedication. my playing partner got to +4 the time he was 18. now he has rent, petrol beer money and women to think of his handicap has take a nose dive

A scratch player is someone with a HC of 0 or better - doesn’t matter what course it is on because if the level of difficulty on that course is higher or lower then it will be reflected in the course SSS . So it could well be easier to get to a lower HC on a course which is supposed to get harder and has a SSS higher than par.

But it’s not easy to get to cat 1 and stay their consistently let alone scratch - so if someone has got to scratch irrelevent of the course it’s on then they have played a lot of golf to a very high standard

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Adding a couple of strokes to make up for the difference in CSS doesn't really cut it in my eyes.

I agree with hovis on this. Some scratch handicaps attained at harder courses will be better players than those of a similar handicap.

D

Deleted member 23270

Some scratch handicaps attained at harder courses will be better players than those of a similar handicap.

Or even different countries! I have yet to play with an American whose handicap is equivalent to a British counterpart. They are always at least a couple of shots worse than someone off the same handicap over here.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Adding a couple of strokes to make up for the difference in CSS doesn't really cut it in my eyes.

I agree with hovis on this. Some scratch handicaps attained at harder courses will be better players than those of a similar handicap.

i agree. css is max 3 each way? is that correct? people play the pga and it adds 6 or 7 shots to their usual card. i played a comp recently and come second out of 160 people. i only hit 4 fairways. on my home course i would have scored significantly higher. about 15 shots higher.

D

Deleted member 15344

What do you mean “adding a couple of shots to make up for CSS”

and I have played with Cat 1’s at supposed harder courses but because a lot of comps go to RO they don’t increase their HC so stay at Cat 1 - same with scratch Opens , plenty play those but can’t play to their HC but because of many of the comps going to RO they don’t increase their HC - it’s far too simplistic to pigeon hole where a player got their HC from

There are just as many players who have vanity HC’s

Last edited by a moderator:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not CSS then SSS.

Example

West derby. Par 72 SSS 71 6273 yards

Fairhaven par 72 SSS 73. 6750yards white tees

Once course is a shot easier and one a shot harder according to SSS.

It is infinitely easier to go around west derby under par than it is Fairhaven. Even accounting for that two shot swing in SSS.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not CSS then SSS.

Example

West derby. Par 72 SSS 71 6273 yards

Fairhaven par 72 SSS 73. 6750yards white tees

Once course is a shot easier and one a shot harder according to SSS.

It is infinitely easier to go around west derby under par than it is Fairhaven. Even accounting for that two shot swing in SSS.

That’s two courses , there are thousands of courses around the county and plenty will play harder than their SSS were as some will play easier than their SSS. Again it’s all very simplistic - i suspect both will have Cat 1 players who should be higher or lower.

If someone gets down to cat 1 then they deserve the credit for doing so regardless of what course they play - some will be able to replicate that at other courses some won’t again regardless of how their home course is perceived.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Listen I agree if anyone get their handicap down to cat 1 and even down to scratch they will have an excellent all round game and many outstanding qualities.

D

Deleted member 15344

think you've touched a nerve there mate 😀

Not at all - always amuses me when players who can’t or haven’t got to cat 1 or scratch dismiss it as such - it’s quite clear that at some stage they have played some very vey good golf and also with a card in their hand - your post about “so called scratch and cat 1 golfers” was a perfect example