Is the cost of a ball making you play badly?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
DO not understand this idea of swapping your ball out on the off chance that you might loose it. I have lost balls on holes with no OOB or water before, so should I just not use premium balls at all. The day I start to worry about loosing expensive golf balls I will start using cheap ones, until that day I will just see it as part of the expense of playing golf.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Not many replies :) I need about 4-5 holes to settle into my swing, pretty much why it's on my mind the new ball theory.

I'm not alone which is nice, maybe one day I'll relax about a new ball and combat the anxiety!!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is also possible that playing lake balls and found balls is making you worse. It’s a no win situation if you let either way get to you.

Best advice is to play what you can afford and try not to worry about lost ball cost.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can play with the same ball for 5 rounds, or lose 5 in one round. I never know what is coming next. No point in getting stressed about it. It is what it is.

D

Deleted member 15344

The cost of a ball doesn’t make you play badly - the swing you put on that ball makes you play badly

Swapping balls depending on a tee shot ? Really ? Why ? Seems a bit silly to me

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Well, I switched it around today and started with an old ball. I did not hit it into the water for a change, instead I lost it in the woods to the left. Still made double bogey. On the plus side, I still have the new ball and it lasted me for the rest of the nine holes. :mmm:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to switch balls to an old one on our 6th which has been a real problem for me. I've stopped and simply keep the ball in play for the hole If it's worked for five holes why would it change. That said, if I'm making changes and know the swing is going to be iffy for a while I'll stick old ones in for a few rounds. Either way, the ball has no understanding of the swing I'm making and simply reacts so I don't get too fussed. I'm lucky enough to have a glut of balls so can get by losing a few.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like positive thinking and just play the new ball regardless. Don’t set up for failure

However if I put the tee OB or in water I’ll just grab any ball out of the bag rather than a new one

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
DO not understand this idea of swapping your ball out on the off chance that you might loose it. I have lost balls on holes with no OOB or water before, so should I just not use premium balls at all. The day I start to worry about loosing expensive golf balls I will start using cheap ones, until that day I will just see it as part of the expense of playing golf.

Is the correct answer imo

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I never change my ball before a hole whatever the hazard(s). I want to play freely, hence I only buy balls I can afford to lose. I normally lose a few during a round, this is being realistic given my current level - not negative.

I'm working on my game, I expect at some point it will be good enough to justify a premium ball, for now Srixon AD333 / Soft feel and Wilson DX2 are just fine.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For me the cost of the ball makes no difference to the way I play. In comps I will use Soft Feel or AD333s, for a social or practice I will tend to use balls that I have found

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The cost of a ball doesn’t make you play badly - the swing you put on that ball makes you play badly

Swapping balls depending on a tee shot ? Really ? Why ? Seems a bit silly to me

Why?, Because its a mental thing. You know you've played a hole a dozen or more times ands you know each time you've hit trouble and lost a ball, so yes you may be compounding and reinforcing the negativity by changing to a crap ball, but if mentally you fell you're going to hit trouble again why lose a new good ball, when you can lose an old crap one.

Yes not really the best attitude to have, and yes maybe changing the approach to the hole would be a better option, lay up in stead of trying to man up.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The ball has no concept of the swing you'll make so it makes no difference what ball is sitting there. I have changed balls on a tough hole or one that I struggle with and know it's a negative mindset so have stopped doing this. Stand there, put a good swing on it and trust yourself.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Friend of mine always switches to a crappy ball, sometimes an 80%? range ball, on a particular par 3 for a carry (over water) that's right on his limit

Go figure

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why?, Because its a mental thing. You know you've played a hole a dozen or more times ands you know each time you've hit trouble and lost a ball, so yes you may be compounding and reinforcing the negativity by changing to a crap ball, but if mentally you fell you're going to hit trouble again why lose a new good ball, when you can lose an old crap one.

Yes not really the best attitude to have, and yes maybe changing the approach to the hole would be a better option, lay up in stead of trying to man up.

Alternatively....

Why not? Because you know that switching balls is a negative reinforcement that will increase the likelyhood of making a bad swing on the ball.....so man up, get an even newer, better, more expensive ball out the bag and just know you are going to nail it 👍

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

This is it....
If you're worrying about the cost of them all then you can't be concentrating on the shot and will, most likely, put a bad swing on it and then it's in the lap of the Gods.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
all the best will in the world isnt going to stop someone carving into a lake or whatever.

if that is your natural tendency. use a poor ball for that hole until such time as you feel you are good enough to control the ball more often than not.