Is the cost of a ball making you play badly?

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally, I'd say yes, I'm actually in my own head a better player with a used ball over a brand new freshly unwrapped premium ball.

£40 a dozen or £3.33 a ball If there's any trouble I'm in don't hit it there mode, which is 100% holding me back and moving past my current handicap. even with current Nikes at £1.66 I'm struggling with the fear of it going AWOL!!!

anyone else feel in the same boat, nothing makes me more happy than a solid 36 holes with the same ball and plenty of battle scares from over use !!!!

I seem to collect premium golf balls like vintage wine NONONO keep them for a special occasion :)

Your thoughts?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Glyn really beats himself up if he can't get a ball to last 5 or 6 rounds. He actually has separation anxiety when he can't find his Pro V within a few seconds. :D

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i still swap out my premium ball for a srixon distance on a few of our par 3's that are surrounded by water.

people ask why and i say "would you go upto that lake and throw £4 in?"

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
YES 100%!

I hate the thought of losing a ball which cost £2 or more. Thats why I've recently started using the Wilson Staff Optix, £28 for 2 doz, it isn't the end of the world if they go a little AWOL!!
Last year I used AD333 Tours, as yes I played well, but in April I brought 4 dozen of the buggers, and by September I had a single sleeve left....Somehow I still had a wonderful year and my handicap dropped 13 shots!
I did play alot during the week too, which also assisted to the huge loss of golf balls. This year I've got 8/10 dozen golf balls which I've brought/been given and until they are all used up I wont be buying anymore :)!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ha ha, this is so me. I now have a good selection of top end balls in my bag that I refuse to use in case I lose them :D. Hitting a 40p Pearl Lake Ball, TM or AD333 this year, is far more relaxing.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I usually start my comp rounds by taking out a brand new ball (not a premium one, though) on our first tee, hitting two full shots with it and then ceremoniously landing it in the middle of the pond in front of the green on my third shot. Change to an old ball, drop, hit my 5th shot onto the green, two putt for double bogey. That old ball then stays with me for the rest of the round (or at least to our 15th hole, where another pond greedily awaits).

Maybe I should turn that around ... use the old ball to start with and then take the new one for the fifth shot over the water.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not me. I would never in a million years pay the price that premium balls cost anyway. I've never bought any balls that cost more than £20 for a dozen.

Capella said:
Maybe I should turn that around ... use the old ball to start with and then take the new one for the fifth shot over the water.

Alternatively, have you considered not hitting either of them in the water? :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not me. I would never in a million years pay the price that premium balls cost anyway. I've never bought any balls that cost more than £20 for a dozen.

[/COLOR]

It is water, it's what it's there for.

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i still swap out my premium ball for a srixon distance on a few of our par 3's that are surrounded by water.

I do the same thing. I have plenty of worn or found balls in my bag just for these occasions. The odd thing is, I tend not to lose them on that stroke!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Doesn't bother me as I pretty much 100% play with balls I have found, I rarely buy balls and rarely get given them. Losing a ball I have found holds no fears for me :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
[/COLOR]

Oy, stop it. I need a good source of lake balls and if people stop hitting into them the prices will go up :D.

Richie Benaud was well known for telling a story about swapping golf balls for dangerous shots. The shortened version is, a person he was playing with was about to hit a shot over water / a ravine etc. They put their newish ball back in the bag and picked out an old ball and put it on the tee. Benaud walked over to the tee, picked up the ball and put a new one down, can't remember if it was one of his own or his pp. His comment was that if you plan for failure then you will. Use your new ball, expect to make the shot. Sports psychology before it was invented.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oy, stop it. I need a good source of lake balls and if people stop hitting into them the prices will go up :D.

Richie Benaud was well known for telling a story about swapping golf balls for dangerous shots. The shortened version is, a person he was playing with was about to hit a shot over water / a ravine etc. They put their newish ball back in the bag and picked out an old ball and put it on the tee. Benaud walked over to the tee, picked up the ball and put a new one down, can't remember if it was one of his own or his pp. His comment was that if you plan for failure then you will. Use your new ball, expect to make the shot. Sports psychology before it was invented.
That's exactly my view and was just about to post that. I used to put an old ball down to go over water, but as said there, that is planning for, or even expecting failure, so I don't do it now. Just keep using your normal ball and expect to make the shot.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no qualms about losing a ball, it’s a ball and if I can’t afford to lose any I shouldn’t play the game.
I never play “pick ups”, and only play a ball I have taken out of the packet at some point. Once it gets a bit ratty, it goes to the practice bin.
Currently I’m playing Wilson DX3’s, but this time of year is normally Srizon Z Stars.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Capella, Richie Benaud was a famous Australian cricketer in the 50's and 60's. Captained his country and then became an absolute legend as a cricket commentator both in Australia and the UK. A very wise man in sports terms but I suspect you will have never heard of him, cricket not registering in Germany. Thought it worth mentioning who he was otherwise my anecdote can seem less valid.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Capella, Richie Benaud was a famous Australian cricketer in the 50's and 60's. Captained his country and then became an absolute legend as a cricket commentator both in Australia and the UK. A very wise man in sports terms but I suspect you will have never heard of him, cricket not registering in Germany. Thought it worth mentioning who he was otherwise my anecdote can seem less valid.

Actually, I even knew that story (didn't know who Richie Benaud was, htough). And that is the main reason why I keep using the new ball off the first tee. Still, reminds me of this little gem of a golf joke:

A golfer is preparing to hit a long shot over a pond and discreetly exchanges his golf ball for an old one. Suddenly a heavenly voice sounds, telling him:
"Use a new ball"
The golfer looks about him, but can't see anyone. He pockets the old ball and puts the new one down again, getting ready to hit. The voice says:
"Do a practice swing"
The golfer obeyes and does a practice swing. The voice coughs, then says:
"Use an old ball ..."

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I only use premium balls ,pro v1x being my first choice more of a confidence thing or feel good factor.I buy them in bulk on in pearl condition so they’re as good as new and half the price as soon as you question losing balls you will start losing them because it’s in your head then .I tried cheaper distance rocks they just don’t check the same around the green again confidence in what your using .

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The only time i'll change a ball for a shot is for the, once in a lifetime thrash, attempt to get on the green in a Texas scramble

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just bought some Snell MTB Red and Black balls half dozen of each, waiting for them to arrive, quite keen to see if they are as good as the writes say they are. I'll be testing them on course, on holes with no water and plenty of space to allow for my wayward shots, mainly so I can find them again, mind you at £30 a box they are reasonably priced, so not to painful if you lose one.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a brand new pro v1 every comp .
If it lasts the 18 holes it is used for social golf.
Would you use a cheap driver just in case the shaft broke.?

Its a very negative attitude to have to change balls mid round fearing loosing it and must affect your game.

I don’t lose many so cost is not bothering me.