How Long Do You Stand Over The Ball?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was playing with a member I hadn't played with before, and he told me "I don't think I've ever seen anyone spend less time standing over the ball than you do!" I said the longer I stand there the more can go wrong - all I'd do is start thinking about what can wrong, arms tense up, hey presto, a rubbish shot. Once I've decided what I'm trying to do, it's one practise swing, step forward an inch and hit the ball. (Not quite as quick as OMP off Golf Mates on YouTube though. ?)

Would people generally agree with this or maybe it's possible to go too quickly? Like maybe my stance, ball position isn't perfect every time because I don't spend more than a second thinking about it? Putting is one thing I wish I could make myself spend more time on I think - often feel I haven't spent long enough reading the green or picking where I'm going to aim. It's the same thing really, quick look at the line, step forward and hit ball - curse as it stops two feet short. ? I actually find it difficult to take any longer though, I just want to hit the ball and move on.

How long do you take?
A few seconds, swish, gone. I videoed a mate on the tee when we were away and showed him afterwards. As he watched himself, he suddenly cried, "Come on!!!". Now you know how we feel...lol

evemccc

Visit site
I’m about 3 seconds

Only swing thought is: hands ahead of club at impact

There’s loads more I need to be aware of but over the ball it is just that

Newtonuti

Visit site
On topic, I've been known to stand too long over the ball, so actively trying to work on swing thought during practise swing, then look for target, align and hit straight away without overthinking.

Swango1980

Visit site
I know a few people who are like a statue over the ball. That wouldn't work for me, I reckon it would be hard to make a nice dynamic swing after being still for so long. Mind you, going immediately would feel rushed. I reckon I'd doubt by set up, and I'd be swinging before I feel comfortable.

I'm just average. Usually one practice swing, and then address the ball, and then start my swing maybe 2-3 seconds after (not sure, never counted). 1 or 2 seconds before the swing is just enough for me to feel comfortable and ready to go.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know a few people who are like a statue over the ball. That wouldn't work for me, I reckon it would be hard to make a nice dynamic swing after being still for so long. Mind you, going immediately would feel rushed. I reckon I'd doubt by set up, and I'd be swinging before I feel comfortable.

I'm just average. Usually one practice swing, and then address the ball, and then start my swing maybe 2-3 seconds after (not sure, never counted). 1 or 2 seconds before the swing is just enough for me to feel comfortable and ready to go.
Yeah, it doesn't take that long to picture the shot you want to execute, I think. The longer you stand there you must end up picturing negative shots as well, which isn't helpful.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Only take a practice swings on anything under 100 yards. Usually a few on chips and putts to get a feel for distance. Id like to be quicker over the ball though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the 40 second rule came we spent some time checking each other were well with the allowed time and all bar one met the requirement. The one probably spent far too much time getting the distance with his laser to meet the 40 second rule.

I probably spend more time over a putt than a distance shot as the result is more important and that is around 20 seconds including reading the line for a relatively simple putt.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Shot Putts for me, some days I just freeze over them.

Full shots pretty much a practice swing and away I go.

Feel shots I might take a bit longer until I think the practice swing is right.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A guy I know plays off scratch. He gets his range finder out, a quick ping on the flag. Yardage, club out and bang. It is so fluid from start to finish. Another player I know he takes an absolute age whilst stood over the ball he can be there 10-15 seconds. ?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Drive the cart up to the golf ball. Get out. Look at the ball. Look up the fairway. Look at the ball. Go back to cart. Stare at clubs. Select club. Look at ball. Look up the fairway. Six practice swings. Stand behind ball and look up fairway. Six practice swings. Hit ball.
Get back in cart. Go over to the other side of the fairway for the other player to do exactly the same.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
First time I ever played with @Liverpoolphil I was shocked how quick he played and I regard myself as a quick player, as mentioned above, it's like he puts his bag down, chooses his club and hits it all in one fluid motion ?

For me, once I've got the shot worked out and the club in my hand it's all fairly quick.

There's someone at LB who's very similar to the video Phil posted and he has the audacity to complain that other people are slow too, haha!