Is Golf now too expensive???

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For players new players getting in the game it can be seen as quite an expensive game if they do not want go down the second hand route.

There was a time when I had a new set of irons every other year and once payed £600 for a full custom fit set back in the early 1990s so in comparison irons can still be seen as the same sort of cost

For me the playing of golf is still a relatively cheap experience - £20 a week to golf 2- 3 times a week in summer.

most of my golf kit is over 5 years old and does the job I want it to. I have tried newer offerings but the expense does not justify what are marginal gains

I did change my 3 wood last year but it was bought with comp winnings.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Totally agree on shoes, some are shocking. A £100 pair of Skechers only lasted me 7 months. Now I have four pairs of golf shoes that I can run alternately through the year, whereas I used to only run two pairs. It'll make me feel better than rotating them makes them last longer, but obviously it's false economy since I've had to spend twice as much! Remember when I was a kid a good pair of golf shoes would last 3-4 years minimum. Now 18 months is a good innings.
The reason they had to last so long was it took 3-4 years to break them in!

Always beware of people looking back at the 'good old days' with rose tinted glasses, things weren't always better then

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
With regards clubs, the more concerning increases have been in the prices of putters and wedges. I may be wrong but they seem to have increased dramatically over the last few years.
Wedges not so much, but putters, looking at Ping, Odyssey & TM particularly have gone from c.£100-130 to most of them being £250ish and near Scotty Cameron money

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The reason they had to last so long was it took 3-4 years to break them in!

Always beware of people looking back at the 'good old days' with rose tinted glasses, things weren't always better then

A fair point but even going back 10 years, shoes were just as comfortable but lasted longer at half the price. It was really when the trainer manufacturers started coming into the market with real fervour that the quality started to drop.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wedges not so much, but putters, looking at Ping, Odyssey & TM particularly have gone from c.£100-130 to most of them being £250ish and near Scotty Cameron money

Again, not going back too far when the basic new range of putters from these manufacturers was £60, the mid at about £99 and you could splash out £150 for the top of the range.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Someone must have bought them?

If you mean at the end - crow.

My original clubs were all new - but you did not tend to buy a full set back then - half set of irons and one wood to start off with, additional clubs added as you got better. Probably took me about 18 months to 2 years to get to a full set.

From memory approx 1978 each iron cost £5-6 and a laminated wood about £10.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
A fair point but even going back 10 years, shoes were just as comfortable but lasted longer at half the price. It was really when the trainer manufacturers started coming into the market with real fervour that the quality started to drop.

I'll add into that gloves.

£10 used to get you a cabretta leather, saw on in the pro shop the other day for £25

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If you mean at the end - crow.

My original clubs were all new - but you did not tend to buy a full set back then - half set of irons and one wood to start off with, additional clubs added as you got better. Probably took me about 18 months to 2 years to get to a full set.

From memory approx 1978 each iron cost £5-6 and a laminated wood about £10.

I'm so old, I remember when a "full set of irons" was 9 clubs!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My Footjoy Dryjoys are on their 7th winter. Might not last another.
I've got a £80 voucher at a pro-shop (not my own club).
Any ideas on what I could put that towards to replace my winter shoes would be welcome?
The pair I had before my current ones were the same, so I'm a bit out of touch by about 15 years. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
and when PW on the bottom of one actually meant a wedge.

Rather than an 8 iron you mean?:ROFLMAO: I think you're even older than me!

My Footjoy Dryjoys are on their 7th winter. Might not last another.
I've got a £80 voucher at a pro-shop (not my own club).
Any ideas on what I could put that towards to replace my winter shoes would be welcome?
The pair I had before my current ones were the same, so I'm a bit out of touch by about 15 years. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dryjoys in black... winter. Softjoys white, summer. Life was so easy back then. :ROFLMAO:

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'll add into that gloves.

£10 used to get you a cabretta leather, saw on in the pro shop the other day for £25
£25 for something you don't actually need? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Warm, dry weather - no glove needed (it's just an affectation after all).

Cold/wet weather - pair of winter/rain gloves (common sense).

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not wanting to single any particular company out
But will use Ping as an example here

£279 for a hybrid, rescue club
Is just ridiculous

I could never bring myself to pay that for a hybrid, utter madness......could afford to, but wont

Just to add, I've took many a blind punt on clubs, bought on a whim, bought without trying, admittedly like to tinker, but £279 for a hybrid and £299 for a fairway......nope, not for me

Will be buying new , old stock.......or used

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes and no.
If you want the best/newest equipment each year, and you want to play the top rated courses. It is too expensive.

If you’re happy with older equipment, 2nd hand/lesser known brands etc, or retaining what you already have, and are happy to play cheaper courses or in opens etc, then it’s not too bad.

You can now have a handicap without without being a club member, so that cost is t a requirement anymore.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Not true. Some people suffer with sweaty hands and a glove is a good aid.

You may not require a glove.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I tried no glove in the summer once until I nearly had the club fly out of my hand due to the sweat.