Is Golf now too expensive???

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Most who spend those green fees are "wealthy" Americans etc.
That is definitely one of the issues with the more 'prestige' courses. American tourists basically don't look at green fees and understandably, the clubs then price their fees accordingly. It sucks for those of us who certainly aren't rich.

But I'm not sure what will change? I'm more concerned about bang average clubs in my area charging £50 green fees, or £1200 a year for a course that is only worth playing for 8 or 9 months due to waterlogging. That is where I'll end up giving up at some point.

I love golf so much, but not enough to justify those sort of costs unfortunately.

evemccc

Visit site
Possibly...a half and half split would have been more telling one way or the other...

For me it’s the right side bias that is most striking from that (86%)

I guess that - as the writer mentions - the tendency is to hold the club off and be more right side dominant when there is no glove (which is negated when wearing a glove, as subconsciously that is where the focus is)

I don’t use a glove for chips and even for pitches up to about 50/60 yards — I feel there is more ‘feel’ without but like the testers I always wear a glove for full shots

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
That is definitely one of the issues with the more 'prestige' courses. American tourists basically don't look at green fees and understandably, the clubs then price their fees accordingly. It sucks for those of us who certainly aren't rich.

But I'm not sure what will change? I'm more concerned about bang average clubs in my area charging £50 green fees, or £1200 a year for a course that is only worth playing for 8 or 9 months due to waterlogging. That is where I'll end up giving up at some point.

I love golf so much, but not enough to justify those sort of costs unfortunately.

It's a shame they can't have domestic rates i.e. those from the UK and tourist rates, happens in other countries in other tourist attractions

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually for some people you do have to pay it or you're no longer going to be a member if a golf club they joined 30+ years ago.

Some people on here are clearly not in touch with how much working class clubs and members struggle.

(I appreciate memberships have deviated from my original post but it's still valid)

Golf as a whole industry is far far too expensive.

Just wait until the sterling rises again and the US dollar isn't as powerful, lets see what happens at our top courses.
Why should I be bothered about the top UK courses? I don’t play at any of them

D

Deleted member 31467

The average salary in the UK is just under £30k a year. Based on a 37 hour week that equates to less than £16 per hour BEFORE tax/NI/pension deductions. Any decent 'name' course is now charging anywhere upwards of £100 a round, that works out at in excess of £25 an hour for a 4hr round.

In my opinion, golf is now massively overpriced.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Its like cars. Far too expensive now. You cannot get a Ferrari for less that £200k.
I can hardly even afford wine any more now either, with a half decent vintage of Chateau Petrus setting me back £4000 a bottle.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I see so something you don't personally use, must absolutely mean something that isn't needed. Gotcha
Not quite. I realised years ago that a single glove was not needed so now I don't use one. If you are one of these people who get sweaty hands then why is it always the left hand only (RH golfers)?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The average salary in the UK is just under £30k a year. Based on a 37 hour week that equates to less than £16 per hour BEFORE tax/NI/pension deductions. Any decent 'name' course is now charging anywhere upwards of £100 a round, that works out at in excess of £25 an hour for a 4hr round.

'Named' courses are not for the average salary ! Or even double or triple the average salary.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Not quite. I realised years ago that a single glove was not needed so now I don't use one. If you are one of these people who get sweaty hands then why is it always the left hand only (RH golfers)?

again personal experience does not equal actual evidence

both hands could get sweaty, but it is the rights hand that has the most contact with the club, the left hand sits more on the right hand.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

I don't disagree entirely, but you did say "decent named course." But that still leaves several thousand perfectly ok courses at £50 or less, sometimes much less... ;)

D

Deleted member 31467

I don't disagree entirely, but you did say "decent named course." But that still leaves several thousand perfectly ok courses at £50 or less, sometimes much less... ;)
Of course it does but people want to play the better courses. Courses trade on their names and reputations.

evemccc

Visit site
The thing I’m most annoyed at is that I didn’t sort myself out to play Portrush the November just gone for £90

Along with many others recently it’s now stopped having winter visitors…£295 in summer is the only way to play it now

Mandofred

Visit site
I can play without a glove on...occasionally I do...but not for very long. The glove just feels better....in fact when the temp is anywhere near 10c I wear one on each hand. I guess you could use the pro's as an example, as a lot of people did with the flag in/out debate....almost all of them wear gloves. Hey, if it works for you (I think Couples doesn't wear one) stick with it. I need to order a couple more pair of FJ extreme...they seem to last me a long time.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The thing I’m most annoyed at is that I didn’t sort myself out to play Portrush the November just gone for £90

Along with many others recently it’s now stopped having winter visitors…£295 in summer is the only way to play it now

He who hesitates eh?

Several "Top" courses have pulled the winter deals.. cheeky blighters. But with full memberships and shorter days, tee times are at a premium...even at little old Newport!

evemccc

Visit site
He who hesitates eh?

Several "Top" courses have pulled the winter deals.. cheeky blighters. But with full memberships and shorter days, tee times are at a premium...even at little old Newport!

Well…this year I’ve got Royal County Down and Sunningdale to go some way towards cheering me up at least!

D

Deleted member 31467

To put a different spin on it, Birkdale summer green fee is listed at £295. Based on that rate all year round (yes, I know it's cheaper off season) if they sold just FIVE visitor 4ball times a day every day that would bring in over £2.1 MILLION pounds a year.

Albo

Visit site
To put a different spin on it, Birkdale summer green fee is listed at £295. Based on that rate all year round (yes, I know it's cheaper off season) if they sold just FIVE visitor 4ball times a day every day that would bring in over £2.1 MILLION pounds a year.
That’s pretty incredible!
Obviously they won’t be open on Xmas and new years etc, but during the summer months they will sell a lot more than 5 4balls a day

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
You‘re matching top end equipment to entry level golfers in that question. Anyone new can pick up a set for £100 and 9 holes will cost the around £10.

stepping up a bit you can/could get a decent call away package set from Costco for about £300 which would suit all beginners.

if you compare top end on a road bike you are talking £15k-£20k. By comparison, the top end of golf is a lot more affordable. There’s good kit out there from other brands like Mizuno, that even offer fitting, that is sold at lower price points. Wilson staff another example.

edit. This thread being an example of upgrading in golf. https://forums.golfmonthly.com/thre...tting-yesterday-as-a-bit-of-a-sceptic.113948/

Last edited:

Teebs

Visit site
Some of these fees are nuts

Ganton is £90 (twilight), £175 (round), £195 (day) or £120 with a county card. Given its location, it won't have many foreign visitors.

Woodhall Spa is only £80 until 30th April per round (EG member).