Is Golf now too expensive???

Visit site
Yes and no.

Green fees are unbelievably expensive… But I still pay em.
Clubs are unbelievably expensive… But I still buy em.
Clothes are unbelievably expensive… But I still buy em.

Our green fee is going up to £170 for weekend visitors in April. I think it was £105 when I joined from memory, 6 years ago.

What it probably does do is force you to choose golf as a main hobby or not to bother. No one is going to spend all that money on all the gear and membership/green fees to play a few times a year. No value, not worth it. If you’re “investing” (?) that much into a sport, you better do it regularly and get your moneys worth.

I have a pair of football boots but I don’t play, I have a squash racket but don’t play, I have a tennis racket but don’t play, etc etc etc. but they were all £100ish at most. You can spend that, not play, and not worry too much. They’re all there for a future time if needed.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
"My" course costs me over £1,400.00 a year for membership.
I doubt if I played 20 times last year due to work.
I haven't been down there since October, and the place is more or less flooded at the moment.
I love it there but I'm having trouble justifying it to myself..

Mandofred

Visit site
"My" course costs me over £1,400.00 a year for membership.
I doubt if I played 20 times last year due to work.
I haven't been down there since October, and the place is more or less flooded at the moment.
I love it there but I'm having trouble justifying it to myself..
Nope, if I were only playing 20 times a year I'd find something else to do. I can justify it, but I'm not working and I get over 100 rounds in.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't buy equipment that often, but the cost ofva set of irons now is considerably higher than it was not that long ago where you could get 3 to pw for under a grand, but now you would be lucky for a forged set costing you that without the 3 and 4 iron.

I thing that had s jumped is the cost of top courses, 10 years ago quite reasonable and affordable to a certain extent,now all the top course are seriously overpriced. All open championship course are closer to £300 now.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
When my clubs got stuck in South Africa for 2 years because of covid, I played with my MD golf irons. 150 quid when I bought them - last years model. Not sure my Callaway xr steel heads are that much better but it is noticable. I did notice the difference in the old driver though. So much so, I bought a Ping 425. Basically, 10 years on there will be a difference, one year on, its a paint job.

Reactions: D-S

Jason.H

Visit site
I like the look of some more expensive hybrid jackets for winter golf but I worry carrying the golf bag is going to advance wear. Though my GG paclite still looks like new.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
£25 for something you don't actually need? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Warm, dry weather - no glove needed (it's just an affectation after all).

Cold/wet weather - pair of winter/rain gloves (common sense).

I see so something you don't personally use, must absolutely mean something that isn't needed. Gotcha

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Nope, if I were only playing 20 times a year I'd find something else to do. I can justify it, but I'm not working and I get over 100 rounds in.

I am working and I got in the equivalent of 106 rounds in 2022! Cost per round worked out at about £10.50 - so for 3 1/2 hours entertainment I don't think that value can be beaten.
Membership will inevitably go up this year - but I've now dropped my hours at work by 1/2 a day so I'm hoping to bring the cost per round down to under £10 / round.

I'm fortunate.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That was interesting. I didn't expect to see such a conclusive result. But I will offer the caveat that most of their testers were probably used to wearing a glove and would have felt odd or different without one.
Possibly...a half and half split would have been more telling one way or the other...