Is Golf now too expensive???

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Not disagreeing with much on here but an interesting fact is that nearly 20 years ago the Callaway ERC Fusion driver was retailing at £449........
OK, it was top of the tree but only 80 quid less than the top of the tree now....
Titliest and TM were selling drivers at £400 in the late 90s early 2000s.

How much did a persimmon driver cost in the 50? Maybe @Crow knows? And how much was it compared to the average wage at the time?
Yup, and they had to roll back as folks stopped buying them, so people power can work.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I certainly agree that new clubs are now very expensive and to be honest, I don't think ill ever buy brand new again except for maybe an upgraded (Mizuno, TM, Ping) set of irons in the future - due to my height its hard to find used clubs fitted to me.
Much the same. Whole new bag last year (except utility wedges & putter), I am delighted with my G425 everything, I'll make one more change in my life, and that'll be when Regular shafts no longer suit me and I need to drop to auld fogie spec if I last that long. That'll be it. Still likely to change those two wedges in near future, but it'll wait till pro shop credit covers it, same with any putter upgrade.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Titliest and TM were selling drivers at £400 in the late 90s early 2000s.

How much did a persimmon driver cost in the 50? Maybe @Crow knows? And how much was it compared to the average wage at the time?

This (excellent ;)) video shows costs for various clubs in the 1970s and also the wages of the time.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me the new kit is too expensive to justify. But that's just me. It's not that I'm tight, I just waste my money on other things that other people would find as unpalatable as I would find spending £500 on a driver - for example, cars, which probably cost me £500 in depreciation on a near monthly basis!

When it comes to golf kit, my view is very much wizard over wand, within certain parameters.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've been thinking about getting back to tennis lately. I haven't played in over 20 years and I'm not sure my body can take playing or not....but I've been checking the prices out. Jeez....the tennis world has sure changed in the last 20+ years (duh). A good racket is £200+, and if you are playing quite a bit you will need at least 2. Restring job will cost at least £30 and could be £50....and again, if you are playing a lot will need to be done fairly regularly. Shoes?.....they don't last as long as golf shoes, I'd go through a pair at least once a month I'd think. Extra cost at the gym to allow playing tennis....at least £40+ a month. If you are playing a lot....at least as expensive as golf I think.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
This (excellent ;)) video shows costs for various clubs in the 1970s and also the wages of the time.

Interesting thanks. I’ve not the time to look into the maths, but I’d say there is just as much spread in cost from cheap to expensive back then as there is today.

You can buy a brand new Wilson iron for £17, or a whole set of Slazenger clubs and bag for £220. Which is just over a 3rd of the current average weekly wage.

Albo

Visit site
I’ve been thinking more and more about this as the reply’s come in and looking at it from a personal perspective (I’m very aware that last night I was quoting club costs which can be lower and not talking personally), I think golf is just affordable at the moment but pushing towards not being so.
I tend not to spend money personally on much else save for what we need as a family to have a reasonable life. That said I went Xmas shopping for the good lady in December and as I was out in town had myself a beer £6+ a pint in central Edinburgh, I know plenty of mates who are out regularly twice or more a week for a few beers, let’s say they have 5 pints twice a week that’d be £60 a week and £240 a month, so by the end of March they would have drank the cost of a new driver.
I’m glad I don’t go out often drinking in town.
Is there value in playing the top end courses at the prices they charge these days, again, for me personally, that depends, I’d certainly rather pay £200 for a top course and have the memories of that, than pay £200 on two nights out and have no memory of either.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I've been thinking about getting back to tennis lately. I haven't played in over 20 years and I'm not sure my body can take playing or not....but I've been checking the prices out. Jeez....the tennis world has sure changed in the last 20+ years (duh). A good racket is £200+, and if you are playing quite a bit you will need at least 2. Restring job will cost at least £30 and could be £50....and again, if you are playing a lot will need to be done fairly regularly. Shoes?.....they don't last as long as golf shoes, I'd go through a pair at least once a month I'd think. Extra cost at the gym to allow playing tennis....at least £40+ a month. If you are playing a lot....at least as expensive as golf I think.

I’d been considering getting into vets ice hockey. Until I looked at the prices of kit (nothing at all to do with my failing body or the boss having an opinion ?).
As with golf, there are cheaper options. But I wouldn’t want to play in cheaper kit. Especially the more safety critical stuff.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I can believe that soon some golfers will be happy to pay £800 for a driver and £1000 for a round.
People with money will pay anything.

As a budget player I paid £6 for a round last week.
As a member of Mytime which is free to join I am sometimes charged only a fiver to play some decent courses off peak.

The driver I've had for years cost £30 second hand.
I remember a time when it only cost a fiver to play at St Andrews.
£1 for a day ticket on Bonar Bridge.
£0.20 to play Musselburgh links.
£12.50 for 5 day season ticket to play 10 courses on the Moray coast.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
too expensive? probably not as other have said there are cheaper option

But it is worrying how much prices are increasing, and it isn't just the top courses and clubs. Green fees that were £20 10 years ago are now £60-70 which has moved from affordable to most, to quite an outlay for 4 hours enjoyment. At the current rate it won't be long before a lot of golfer won't be able to afford access to the most basic level of golf

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Look at that new 2023 driver from Ping or Callaway.
It will add yards and straightness to your drive. Guaranteed to make you happy.
Another few yards with those new Titleist balls they want to sell you.
It works! To begin with. But golf is all about confidence.
When you lose that confidence, you'll be looking at other clubs.
Stick with what you've got. A bad workman blames his tools.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
New club prices will always be high, always have been and drivers have always been at the forefront of this.

With regards clubs, the more concerning increases have been in the prices of putters and wedges. I may be wrong but they seem to have increased dramatically over the last few years.

My real bugbear is golf shoes though. The quality appears to have been decreasing over the years but the prices have skyrocketed. Was not that long ago what £100 bought the top of the range shoe and they could be bought for £50 the next year. Now £100 is the lowest price with come brands

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
New club prices will always be high, always have been and drivers have always been at the forefront of this.

With regards clubs, the more concerning increases have been in the prices of putters and wedges. I may be wrong but they seem to have increased dramatically over the last few years.

My real bugbear is golf shoes though. The quality appears to have been decreasing over the years but the prices have skyrocketed. Was not that long ago what £100 bought the top of the range shoe and they could be bought for £50 the next year. Now £100 is the lowest price with come brands
Totally agree on shoes, some are shocking. A £100 pair of Skechers only lasted me 7 months. Now I have four pairs of golf shoes that I can run alternately through the year, whereas I used to only run two pairs. It'll make me feel better than rotating them makes them last longer, but obviously it's false economy since I've had to spend twice as much! Remember when I was a kid a good pair of golf shoes would last 3-4 years minimum. Now 18 months is a good innings.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Back in the day, you didn't have the market for clubs that we have now. A set of clubs were passed down from father to son.
Absolutely. I can’t imagine any young lad starting golf today with the muddle of golf clubs my dad had…some shafts hickory, some brown painted steel - all different makers.

And only when I was 17 did I get my first set of irons, when I think my dad told my mum a little fib about the real cost of my first set of irons…(very well used probably late 1960s Macgregor Tourneys) bought for my birthday. I played with these irons for nearly 15yrs, buying the occasional inexpensive laminated wood along the way. I just made do pretty much with what came my way and the little I could afford…and just learned to hit them.

Oh yes..shoes…started with the cheapie rubber ones with the kiltie, and stuck with that shoe until my mid-20s.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Totally agree on shoes, some are shocking. A £100 pair of Skechers only lasted me 7 months. Now I have four pairs of golf shoes that I can run alternately through the year, whereas I used to only run two pairs. It'll make me feel better than rotating them makes them last longer, but obviously it's false economy since I've had to spend twice as much! Remember when I was a kid a good pair of golf shoes would last 3-4 years minimum. Now 18 months is a good innings.

It's the turf/soil condition at golf courses these days, much more abrasive than it used to be.