Is a glove essential?

pheel88

Club Champion
Visit site
I wear one but I have also played a few rounds where I didn't have one and didn't make too much difference. I think when it is hot and when it is wet then they can be an asset as gives a good grip on the club but like others say I guess it just comes down to preference.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hogan didn't wear one and he was a hell of a player. Well in all the pics i've seen at least he isn't wearin one.

Couples has an awesome swing and again doesn't wear one. I think personally its a comfort thing in this hot weather my hands tend to sweat so can be useful but everytime i've not used one it's made no difference to how I play

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I find it essential especially in this weather.

Went out yesterday and managed to lose my glove somewhere between the 16th green and 17th tee! Searched the bag for an old reserve but no joy. Stood on the 17th tee with fairly sweaty hands and almost threw the club over the boundary hedge.....

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never did for for about 4 years but started this year and it helps me grip lighter so its worth trying

Lighter grip = more club speed and better ball contact

I keep it on for the whole round even putting

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is a glove essential?

Yup, in fact its in the rules, anyone playing without one its a 2 stroke pen (max 4 strokes)

OK maybe not the penalty bit but I find them essential, I cant really hit above 3/4 swing without one or the club goes on a mental swing path

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
You can also get wear if you have your thumb placed incorrectly. Best to just ask the pro in the shop before a round to check your grip, most will give you a quick once over as it takes them seconds to assess it

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
No gloves at all - unless it's very cold, and/or wet when it is a glove on each hand. I don't find it makes any difference as to how well/badly I hit the ball.

Interesting question arises from this though re "custom fitting". When assessing how many layers of tape you need to get the perfect grip size for you, does the fitter inquire about your glove habits and, if you only wear 1 glove, are the layers of tape different under the gloved and ungloved hands?

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
It's probably down to poor technique on my part, but if I go to the driving range without a glove, after about 30-40 balls my left hand is very sore from the rubbing of the grip in my hand. They are brand new clubs though so I wonder if it's because the grips are so new.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Removing a golf switches the brain into putting mode. It's scientific, look at how many pros take theirs off to putt.

Not really Dave. Maybe they have a better feel without the glove on and their contract with their glove sponsors allows them to putt without one on. Just saying like ;)

To the OP, if it was essential/desirable/recommended to wear a glove, why only one???? Yet another marketing ploy to separate a golfer from his money??? Oh, and I note that no-one has bitten on my observation regarding grip tape and custom fitting. :D

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funnily, I stopped wearing one about 5 years ago when it was p'ing down and I found I had better grip on the wet with bare hands
Contra to that, if it is really hot and my hands are sweating, I will wear a glove

I presume there is more slimy stuff in sweat than there is in rain

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
NO ! I had played a few years with a glove then when it was raining one round and the glove was soaking wet I decided to try and play without a glove, and since that day I have not used a glove. Try a round with and without to see what you prefer.

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really Dave. Maybe they have a better feel without the glove on and their contract with their glove sponsors allows them to putt without one on. Just saying like ;)

To the OP, if it was essential/desirable/recommended to wear a glove, why only one???? Yet another marketing ploy to separate a golfer from his money??? Oh, and I note that no-one has bitten on my observation regarding grip tape and custom fitting. :D

Your explanation is not scientific, that is all.