Ireland Golf Trip

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looking for some advice on a golf trip to Ireland. Looking to go for around 5 or 6 days in June/July time.

The checkboxes that need to be ticked are:
1) Play at least 2 top iconic courses
2) Include a day or 2 in Dublin where we can do the Guinness factory, Temple Bar area and perhaps 1 course in that area
3) Dont mind paying premium prices for 3 of the 5 rounds, but the other 2 or 3 rounds should be £120 euros max
4) Prefer all or most to be links courses
5) 1 of the guys on the trip has Ballybunion as a must play, so that has to be included

My initial thoughts after some research was to fly into Killarney, base ourselves there or therabouts, rent a car and play Tralee, Dooks, Waterville and Ballybunion and then drive to Dublin, spend 1 day sight seeing and partying, play Portmarnock, party some more and then fly out the next morning.

Any advice would be very appreciated

thanks,
George

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking for some advice on a golf trip to Ireland. Looking to go for around 5 or 6 days in June/July time.

The checkboxes that need to be ticked are:
1) Play at least 2 top iconic courses
2) Include a day or 2 in Dublin where we can do the Guinness factory, Temple Bar area and perhaps 1 course in that area
3) Dont mind paying premium prices for 3 of the 5 rounds, but the other 2 or 3 rounds should be £120 euros max
4) Prefer all or most to be links courses
5) 1 of the guys on the trip has Ballybunion as a must play, so that has to be included

My initial thoughts after some research was to fly into Killarney, base ourselves there or therabouts, rent a car and play Tralee, Dooks, Waterville and Ballybunion and then drive to Dublin, spend 1 day sight seeing and partying, play Portmarnock, party some more and then fly out the next morning.

Any advice would be very appreciated

thanks,
George

You could fly into Belfast, either airport, play Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock, all very near each other, drive down to RCD, play that, on down to Dublin, Portmarnock, spend a day in the city, Guinness etc, and fly back from there. You could also take the car ferry across from Holyhead to Dublin, or Stranraer to Belfast or a combo of both.

Castlerock is a great links and costs about £75. Portstewart is about £130, less in April and October and a lot less in winter. RCD and Portrush will cost you, no question, but worth every penny.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
In August we did the North West Links pass, which was Donegal,Narin & Portnoo and Rosses Point at Sligo the pas was 149 euro a total bargain we also played Portstewart we got signed on as guests which cost us £20 so 4 cracking links courses for a great price. I would avoid Dublin, I've been a few times and its a rip off price wise, so many other places to go. This year we had Tralee as our top course to play its 185 euro a round so is Ballybunion . But i think after last nights conversations we are going to play Enniscrone,Carne,Conemarra and Portstewart , one of the lads hasn't played Portrush so that might be a goer as we have a contact there:thup:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Ethan and Steve have said, I would advise coming to the north west.

Fly to Belfast and drive up or even closer Derry then you have a choice of so many top class links within an hour or two.

Ballyliffin has two top class courses, Narin & Portnoo, Portsalon, Rosapenna x2 courses, Royal Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock, Co. Donegal, Co Sligo are all quality links courses none of which will disappoint in the slightest and all at more than reasonable prices.

D

Deleted Member 1156

As Ethan and Steve have said, I would advise coming to the north west.

Fly to Belfast and drive up or even closer Derry then you have a choice of so many top class links within an hour or two.

Ballyliffin has two top class courses, Narin & Portnoo, Portsalon, Rosapenna x2 courses, Royal Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock, Co. Donegal, Co Sligo are all quality links courses none of which will disappoint in the slightest and all at more than reasonable prices.

No mention of Enniscrone or Carne?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
No mention of Enniscrone or Carne?

He has 5 or 6 days and said he wants to play in Dublin. Enniscrone and Carne are great, but if they have never been, I would put RCD and RP at the top of the list and work some others in around. E and C would fit in well with Rosses Point and Murvagh. Depends on their appetite for driving (a car).

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
He has 5 or 6 days and said he wants to play in Dublin. Enniscrone and Carne are great, but if they have never been, I would put RCD and RP at the top of the list and work some others in around. E and C would fit in well with Rosses Point and Murvagh. Depends on their appetite for driving (a car).
When we were at Rosses Point we got speaking to 2 helicopter pilots who'd dropped of some Americans at Enniscrone it was an hour by car or 9 minutes in a helicopter, i drove when we were there but based ourselves in Donegal Town.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Carne is the course that I most want to play in the country, have heard nothing but good things about it and the surrounding area

D

Deleted Member 1156

Ive watched and read John Garrity of Sports Illustrated Youtube videos and blogs on Carne,some fantastic viewing on this course, how do the dunes compare to the front 9 at Portstewart?

Sorry Steve, not played Portstewart so can't advise but Carne is up with the very best I've played :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thanks for your help,its only 70 euros a round which is great value, its part of our trip now:thup:

If it helps, we did it this way......

Flew to Dublin on Saturday morning, hired a car and drove out to Carne where we stayed for the night. Played there Sunday then drove to Ballina where we stayed for a couple of nights. Played Enniscrone Monday, Rosses Point on Tuesday and Co Donegal Wednesday. Then up to Rosapenna where we played both courses on Thursday and finally both Ballyliffin courses on Friday. Stayed the night there then drove back to Dublin Saturday morning for a late afternoon flight home.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it helps, we did it this way......

Flew to Dublin on Saturday morning, hired a car and drove out to Carne where we stayed for the night. Played there Sunday then drove to Ballina where we stayed for a couple of nights. Played Enniscrone Monday, Rosses Point on Tuesday and Co Donegal Wednesday. Then up to Rosapenna where we played both courses on Thursday and finally both Ballyliffin courses on Friday. Stayed the night there then drove back to Dublin Saturday morning for a late afternoon flight home.
Cheers for the advice but we get the ferry to Larne, our first port of call is Portstewart to catch up with my mate dad, then we will plan from there, looking like Enniscrone,Carne then Connemara all great looking courses. Now Ballyliffen theres 2 fantastic courses.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks very much for the advice guys, its appreciated. So not much love on here for the south western part? I thought that Waterville/Ballybuniion/Tralee were meant to be legendary? Is it just marketing?

In terms of some golf around Dublin, anything other than Portmarnock that we should consider? My mates are flying all the way from South Africa so for them its a more 'tourist' version of a trip that someone who had lived in Britain their whole life would do, or even a 'hidden gems' trip which one might do the second time around. They dont mind paying a bit extra to do the more famous and well known sites/courses, but I am just trying to make sure we get the best experience out of it.

I have been to Dublin for a city break and enjoyed it, but then again I do enjoy a drink. Also read Tom Coyne's book and the sound of a couple of nice famous links courses, coupled with some proper country pubs where they go all Lord of the Dance on us would be awesome, but sounds too good to be true.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks very much for the advice guys, its appreciated. So not much love on here for the south western part? I thought that Waterville/Ballybuniion/Tralee were meant to be legendary? Is it just marketing?

In terms of some golf around Dublin, anything other than Portmarnock that we should consider? My mates are flying all the way from South Africa so for them its a more 'tourist' version of a trip that someone who had lived in Britain their whole life would do, or even a 'hidden gems' trip which one might do the second time around. They dont mind paying a bit extra to do the more famous and well known sites/courses, but I am just trying to make sure we get the best experience out of it.

I have been to Dublin for a city break and enjoyed it, but then again I do enjoy a drink. Also read Tom Coyne's book and the sound of a couple of nice famous links courses, coupled with some proper country pubs where they go all Lord of the Dance on us would be awesome, but sounds too good to be true.
Dublin wise you have The European links, The Island and not far away Baltry. Waterville,Ballybunnion and Tralee are all fantastic courses but range between 170-200 euro around. The courses the lads have said are fantastic courses in there own right and offer superb value for money. What ever you choose you won't be disappointed I've been going over for 17 years now and love every minute of it.

daverollo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dublin wise you have The European links,

Absolutely brilliant course and you'd get a great welcome from the Ruddy's who own and run it. Serious test of links golf and if I remember correctly there is one green that is over 100 yards long!

Stayed in Dublin a couple of times on golfing trips, County Down not too far a drive either and inland you have Druids Glen.