Inter Club Competitions.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got a real taste for this last season.... I was paired with a chap off 12 for a foursomes format..... It was touch and go the whole way round but we ended up winning on the 18th....

Anyway this season playing off of 9 i qualify to play in the Jimmy Bruen cup which is a similar format but for lower handicaps.....
As our club hasnt got a big pool of players to pick from it seems that even though trails go ahead its more to find out pairings rather than to see whos playing well and who isnt..

I was at the club on Saturday just practicing away and popped into the restaurant for a toastie for a break and was approached by the club Vice Captain and the Club President both of whom are over our Junior Cup Team.... This Competition is for handicaps from 5 and up and is Singles Matchplay but most that play it as far as i know wont be more than a 7 or 8....

They asked me if id consider playing for the team and i said id jump at the chance as long as my game was ok and i had some kind of form around the time of the Comps..
Has anyone played in a similar comp as a 9 handicap or similar... I know that handicaps are cancelled in these comps and all players play off scratch... But theres a good reason that 5 handicaps are off of 5.....

I can play to my 9 which iv showed yesterday in shooting a gross 79 so its no beyond me but i dropped shots yesterday to 2 stupid tops with a 3 wood..... Both of which would have been really embarrassing if i was in big inter club competition....

Will i be out of my league and should i leave it for maybe another season to get a little more consistency with my swing.... Or just go out with a positive attitude and play as best i can...

D

Deleted Member 1156

Go for it! You will learn a lot from playing with and against low handicap players and if you turn any of them over it will give you a big confidence boost :thup:

I always remember my first scratch team match. We were drawn away and in the morning foursomes my partner, who was also playing his first match, was a bag of nerves and hit a few duff shots so we ended up losing on the 17th. In the afternoon singles I was drawn against their club champion and I beat him 2 up. I never feared anyone after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I say go and do it, I'd love the opportunity to play scratch matchplay. The only competitive matches we have are knockouts and we seemingly get knocked out 1st round each year and they aren't scratch. I've never been asked to play, but unless they were scratch I wouldn't play anyway. We don't play in any leagues.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got a real taste for this last season.... I was paired with a chap off 12 for a foursomes format..... It was touch and go the whole way round but we ended up winning on the 18th....

Anyway this season playing off of 9 i qualify to play in the Jimmy Bruen cup which is a similar format but for lower handicaps.....
As our club hasnt got a big pool of players to pick from it seems that even though trails go ahead its more to find out pairings rather than to see whos playing well and who isnt..

I was at the club on Saturday just practicing away and popped into the restaurant for a toastie for a break and was approached by the club Vice Captain and the Club President both of whom are over our Junior Cup Team.... This Competition is for handicaps from 5 and up and is Singles Matchplay but most that play it as far as i know wont be more than a 7 or 8....

They asked me if id consider playing for the team and i said id jump at the chance as long as my game was ok and i had some kind of form around the time of the Comps..
Has anyone played in a similar comp as a 9 handicap or similar... I know that handicaps are cancelled in these comps and all players play off scratch... But theres a good reason that 5 handicaps are off of 5.....

I can play to my 9 which iv showed yesterday in shooting a gross 79 so its no beyond me but i dropped shots yesterday to 2 stupid tops with a 3 wood..... Both of which would have been really embarrassing if i was in big inter club competition....

Will i be out of my league and should i leave it for maybe another season to get a little more consistency with my swing.... Or just go out with a positive attitude and play as best i can...

Go for it. Anything can happen in match play, and usually does.

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
You def won't be out of your league and your opponent will feel the pressure too! You'll also get to play decent courses if you get far enough! And we all duff shots at every level

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Definitely give it a go, whats the worst thing that can happen?

A few years ago I played a couple of times for my old clubs scratch team, I was off 13 at the time (we were a small club and had a few injuries etc). The first time I was paired with a 9 hcp for the morning foursomes, we lost on the 17th green. In the afternoon singles I played against a 4hcp and got beat 4 and 3, but I found myself playing well above my general level of play. I suppose playing in that environment against good players brought the best out of me.

The second time we got beat 4 and 2 in the foursomes against a 3 and a 4 hcp, and in the singles I lost 3 and 2 against a 6 hcp.

Thoroughly enjoyed both days, wouldnt hesitate to do the same again, although my new club has loads of scratch players so I won't get the opportunity.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go for it. You'll improve as a player if you're competing regularly against "better" players and it will encourage you to think smart if you are to beat them. Try not to lost holes to pars and you wont go too far wrong.

I've signed up for the county scratch matchplay for the very reason of competing against better players in a format which I'm usually solid in. First match on Saturday morning, can't wait.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
do it, DO IT, DO IT, DO IT

You'll never learn unless you do, its matchplay so blow ups are less important.

5 h/cappers can shoot in the high 80's easily.........I KNOW:whistle: