INSURANCE

Are non -tailored shorts allowed on the course?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DCB

Visit site
I feel that all clubs should have a duty of care to ensure that players are covered before being allowed to use the facilities.

Why should the onus be on the club ? What cover does a player need to play golf ?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Just the minimum public liability cover that will cover him for any injury caused by him or his equipment in the process of playing or practicing golf on a designated area, such as driving range, the course, or practice areas.

I think the onus should be on the club as they are the ones taking money for the use of their facilties.

You cannot use private climbing walls without taking out the insurance onsite, you cannot use a race track for motor racing without insurance.

There are many sports where an accident can cause injury that dont have insurance, but the damage done by the strike of a golf ball to the head can be fatal.

We all take out motor insurance because we have to, even though the chance of us having an accident is minimal.

The same should go for golf. Even if it is on a pay per play basis of a couple of quid a round. I know you're thinking that would work out extortionate....... exactly makes sense to have cover for the year..

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't have golf insurance but am definitely considering it. Although I know from experience the theft of my clubs was covered under our household policy.

I believe public liability is also covered under a household policy, but not sure if this extends to sport.

Anyone know?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never had golf insurance, but quite honestly, until I joined this forum, I never knew it was something that was offered!

Since I'll be playing at least once a week by the time April rolls round, I'll definitely be sorting it out though!

MizunoGreyhound

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Clubs could impose a charge on members included in their annual subscription for basic insurance, with an option to upgrade to greater cover if required.

When you play at other clubs/venues this could be checked out and verified, or if not club members an additional fee covering insurance for your round.

Our club has a car park with several prestigious cars from time to time parked on it. I wouldn`t fancy coughing up for a replacement panel on a Ferrari or Bentley. :eek:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even though I have a seperate insurance policy, one club I play at as a visitor charges a green fee plus an insurance levy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like the piece of mind knowing that one of my "not staying in the same postcode" drives hitting somebody two fariways away won't see me bankrupt if I cause serious injury. I do like it for the theft side too especially as break ins at golf clubs is on the increase from both cars and lockers.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I put my tuppence worth on this subject a long time ago but the original poster got little feedback.
In short all clubs should insist that members have insurance cover and demonstrate this on renewal.
All clubs should have their own insurance and charge per round unless the player produces proof of cover.
There is more but I won't ramble on.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
clubs will have insurance but it is to protect them and their property, they will also have third party liability insurance but it will not necessarily protect you against claims made against you. ask

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've hit two people over the years with wayward shots and have been hit a couple of times myself.
Luckily, none of the "injuries" were serious enough to require medical attention, although the time I hit the old boy on the back of the neck at Crowborough did give me cause for concern for a while....

I played in a society day at Holtye once, really hot Summers day. Blisteringly hot. Was in the changing rooms after the game and a guy came running in urgently needing to phone an ambulance. We thought somebody had gone down with a heart attack because of the heat but no, a guy had been hit on the nogging with a wayward shot. He had been standing forward of a player taking a fairway wood shot and the ball had come off the toe of the club and cracked the geezer right in the head. Apparantly he had gone down like a sack of spuds, blood gushing from a wound just about his eye. Had it been an inch lower it would have taken his eye out. Doesn't bear thinking about, and that's why I have insurance.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Clubs could impose a charge on members included in their annual subscription for basic insurance...

Mine does, and I actually thought this was a pretty standard thing.

Do other clubs not do this?

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I've been hit twice, second time on the head on our 15th green while compiling my best ever round. I think the shock totally took my mind off any nerves on the last few holes. Seriously though, I was lucky it wasn't serious, it was a galancing blow but only an inch from my left eye. I have insurance and frankly wouldn't be without it. Peace of mind is the key and I keep my clubs in a locker (not covered under house contents). I don't agree that it's the clubs responsibility though. It's up to the individual. The risk is very small but if you do do some damage just once (even to your wallet by getting a hole in one) then it will likely pay for itself anyway.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
The result of just this short poll are surprising so far:

43 People Voted
1 Person only ticked the considering box without any other answers.

55% Have Insurance
45% Are not covered against causing injury another person or damaging property.

31% Voters are considering to take insurance out.
16.5% People don't seem to care if they injure another person or damage other peoples property when playing or practising golf.

52% people have knowledge of themselves or other being injured.
57% people have knowledge of themselves or other suffering loss or theft of equipment.

Surely with the statistics of such a small group, it is obvious that for the very small outlay it is the decent thing to do. Is it really acceptable to risk another players life/ livelyhood just because you wont part with 70p a week.

Come on people, its a game with etiquette as one of the main guides, surely its etiquette to ensure the safety not only you but the other players on the course and the people who live around the courses we all use.

I am truly shocked at the number (16.5%) of those who are negligent and are not interested in covering themselves or others.

DCB

Visit site
And that's how statistics can be used to back up any argument ;)

" 55% Have Insurance" Of the 55% who have insurance, what levels of insurance do they have ?

"45% Are not covered against causing injury another person or damaging property" Which question asked about level of cover ?

"I am truly shocked at the number (16.5%) of those who are negligent and are not interested in covering themselves or others." What's the legal definition of "negligent" in this instance ? How are they all negligent ?

Whilst cover for stolen clubs and equipment etc is a good thing, the need to have personal indemnity insurance is being pushed by the insurance companies as the way to go. Without the blame culture of modern society we wouldn't need this and we wouldn't have the sharks in suits chasing a buck for even the slightest chance of a payout in a compensation claim.

The only winners are the insurance companies selling the cover and the legal companies who stoop low enough to take such work.

The poor man on the street or golf course in this matter, is fed all sorts of bull and happily takes it in.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
"I am truly shocked at the number (16.5%) of those who are negligent and are not interested in covering themselves or others." What's the legal definition of "negligent" in this instance ? Conduct that falls below the standards of behavior established by law for the protection of others against unreasonable risk of harm. How are they all negligent ? By not having cover to protect others or themselves duh.

Whilst cover for stolen clubs and equipment etc is a good thing, the need to have personal indemnity insurance is being pushed by the insurance companies as the way to go. Without the blame culture of modern society we wouldn't need this and we wouldn't have the sharks in suits chasing a buck for even the slightest chance of a payout in a compensation claim. Irregardless, if the person causing the damage has no cover not only might he lose out if loss/theft happens, but if he injures a 3rd party seriously, with the culture as it is and the cost of living, he would probably need to cover all costs out of his own pocket. Not sure about you, but if I had to pay a person full salary, plus compenasation and cover any ongoing costs related to an injury or damage I caused, I'd be broke financially. And I have a relatively decent income

The only winners are the insurance companies selling the cover and the legal companies who stoop low enough to take such work. The only losers are those who suffer injuries at the hands of uninsured players, or those who have their kit stolen or lose something with no cover to protect them

The poor man on the street or golf course in this matter, is fed all sorts of bull and happily takes it in. I take it your claiming to be a POOR man on the street, who has no cover, or are you empathising with people who put you at risk when playing. Would you think insurance was worthwhile if you were hit by an uninsured player, and ended up blind or worse by a stray shot.

Its good to see that there are arguments from both side of the fence, but I think we need to build a higher fence to keep uninsured player out!!!!! :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm wondering where this ends.

Do we need to be insured against injuring someone else if we play football, cricket, hurling, hockey etc?

Serious question.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Its more of is it worth the risk of injuring someone or yourself, and covering yourself for this.

In golf, the need is more obvious due to the severity of an injury through a stray ball, or if you land on the car park and damage a car. Also the cost of equipment is gereater in golf, therefor more attractive to theives.

I know its all down to blame culture, but better safe than sorry.

I always aim for people, I know that way there is no chance of them being hit by my ball. :D :D :D ;)