• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A well written piece using some fairly emotive language. "Wrenching Scotland out of the single market, regardless of the fact she has no mandate to do so". Another person that fails to understand that Scotland isn't a member of the single market any more than England or Wales are. The UK is a member of the single market and the UK, which Scotland voted to remain a part of, voted to leave the EU and as a result MIGHT not have the same access to the single market as it had before.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It should come out of SNP funds. They want the thing, THEY should pay for it. Like in real life. You get the first one for free, then if you want another one, YOU PAY !

BTW - it's not just the SNP who want Independence - Greens, some Labour, some Lib Dems also want independence. Indeed some (though not that many) SNP supporters don't actually want independence.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A well written piece using some fairly emotive language. "Wrenching Scotland out of the single market, regardless of the fact she has no mandate to do so". Another person that fails to understand that Scotland isn't a member of the single market any more than England or Wales are. The UK is a member of the single market and the UK, which Scotland voted to remain a part of, voted to leave the EU and as a result MIGHT not have the same access to the single market as it had before.

By BT and Westminster stating in the Independence Referendum that Scotland was an equal partner in the UK - and then excluding the (Tory) Scottish Secretary from the core Brexit team - May is playing straight into the hands of the Indy crowd and the SNP government.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It should come out of SNP funds. They want the thing, THEY should pay for it. Like in real life. You get the first one for free, then if you want another one, YOU PAY !

Not quite so - you pay your membership of the golf club and you can play as many times as you want - for free. Scotland is part of the UK Club - as we is always being told.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not quite so - you pay your membership of the golf club and you can play as many times as you want - for free. Scotland is part of the UK Club - as we is always being told.

But it isn't a UK referendum it's a Scottish one. Continuing your analogy how would you feel if you paid to join your golf club and then half way through your membership you were told that you had to pay extra for a competition at your neighbouring club. Oh and by the way you can't take part in that competition.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
By BT and Westminster stating in the Independence Referendum that Scotland was an equal partner in the UK - and then excluding the (Tory) Scottish Secretary from the core Brexit team - May is playing straight into the hands of the Indy crowd and the SNP government.

Does it really matter what the government at Westminster does? They could pay off the mortgage for everyone in Scotland and announce 0% income tax for all Scottish workers and you'd still get that awful wee Jimmy Krankie woman standing at the top of Arthur's Seat, with a saltire painted on her face, yelling "Freedom".

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But it isn't a UK referendum it's a Scottish one. Continuing your analogy how would you feel if you paid to join your golf club and then half way through your membership you were told that you had to pay extra for a competition at your neighbouring club. Oh and by the way you can't take part in that competition.

Yup - I'd be cheesed off - but are you not making my point? Scotland has paid it's membership subs for Club UK - and there is no limit specified as part of membership to the number of referendums that the UK or any member of the UK can have called.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Does it really matter what the government at Westminster does? They could pay off the mortgage for everyone in Scotland and announce 0% income tax for all Scottish workers and you'd still get that awful wee Jimmy Krankie woman standing at the top of Arthur's Seat, with a saltire painted on her face, yelling "Freedom".

Indeed she would - because she is the leader of the SNP - but she might not find so many people listening.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Oh dear.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Pretty certain that as a member of the golf club you don't get invited to every meeting the committee holds, using you golf club example later in the thread, and decisions affecting your club are made every month...

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yup - I'd be cheesed off - but are you not making my point? Scotland has paid it's membership subs for Club UK - and there is no limit specified as part of membership to the number of referendums that the UK or any member of the UK can have called.

In what way has Scotland "paid it's membership subs"? I thought there was some debate but it was largely accepted that Scotland operates in a deficit...

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It's not the same as playing at a neighbouring club though in reality it's like not being able to play in the juniors, seniors or ladies comps. Perfectly acceptable.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not the same as playing at a neighbouring club though in reality it's like not being able to play in the juniors, seniors or ladies comps. Perfectly acceptable.

I'm not suggesting that it's not acceptable or that the rest of the UK should be allowed to take part. It's a decision for the Scottish people to make. But why should someone have to pay for a junior comp, for example, if they aren't allowed to play in it?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
You guys are losing me with the golf club metaphor but I think there's a lot of point missing going on all round.

It's politics and by excluding the Scottish government from the planning and negotiations they are playing right into the snp's hands. They will make maximum political capital from that as they try to stoke anti-Westminster sentiment here. At least try and make it difficult for them!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not suggesting that it's not acceptable or that the rest of the UK should be allowed to take part. It's a decision for the Scottish people to make. But why should someone have to pay for a junior comp, for example, if they aren't allowed to play in it?

Fair point, I believe if the SNP want an indyref2 they should fund it themselves

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Pretty certain that as a member of the golf club you don't get invited to every meeting the committee holds, using you golf club example later in the thread, and decisions affecting your club are made every month...

Except all committees are made up of members or members reps. Tell me why the Scottish Secretary should not be on the core team - after all he is a Tory so hardly likely to 'leak' what is discussed and agreed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You guys are losing me with the golf club metaphor but I think there's a lot of point missing going on all round.

It's politics and by excluding the Scottish government from the planning and negotiations they are playing right into the snp's hands. They will make maximum political capital from that as they try to stoke anti-Westminster sentiment here. At least try and make it difficult for them!

Exactly. Someone might come up with a very good reason why it is inappropriate for the Scottish Secretary to be in the core team - but May surely recognises that by excluding Mundell she is playing right into the hands of the SNP.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How big is the core team now? If the Scottish sec was included then you would also need to add the Welsh and Irish as well, no English sec of course..........What starts as a core becomes a huge committee and too cumbersome. You can't include everyone if you want it to actually make decisions. People need to be grown up about it but they don't want to as that doesn't suit their own agenda.