Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hahahahahaha

with a budget deficit of 9.4%, which is 2% worse than Greece.

Hahahahahaha

I'm sure the EU would welcome Scotland with open arms, closely followed by Berlin imposing the sort of fiscal control they did on Greece. And that's independence???

Hahahahahaha

I think our share of UK debt repayment is around the same figure.;)

[The wee winkie man was specially for SR]

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think our share of UK debt repayment is around the same figure.;)

[The wee winkie man was specially for SR]

Not surpringly, just like with many of your posts in the run up to the first indyref, you either choose to avoid the point or are incapable of recognising it.

A direct question to you might make it easier. Bearing in mind one of the EU's criteria for entry is a GDP of 3% do you think they'll allow Scotland to join with a GDP of 9.4%?

And if Scotland gets independence, how does it reduce its deficit? Either the SNP drops its vote buying budget or higher taxation, or maybe both. To clear the deficit it needs £850 of every worker. Ignoring everyone on minimum wage, or less than the average, that's a £2k pay cut(tax hike), or about 7% increase. That's a big vote winner but will no doubt be labelled as scaremongering before the next Indyref.

D

Deleted member 15344

Scotland's deficit is only relevant when it is in a position to control it itself, independently.

Would say it very relevant , right now it shows that financially Scotland would be unable to stand on their own two feet without increasing taxes on their own people and also would not be allowed into Europe

Scotland it seems has had increased public spending controlled by Scottish Parliament yet income dropped dramatically

Seems there is a £15bn gap

https://www.theguardian.com/society...worsen-fall-oil-revenues-15bn-deficit?0p19G=c

Seems from the report that Scotland cant financially afford to go Independent

chippa1909

Head Pro
Visit site
Would say it very relevant , right now it shows that financially Scotland would be unable to stand on their own two feet without increasing taxes on their own people and also would not be allowed into Europe

Scotland it seems has had increased public spending controlled by Scottish Parliament yet income dropped dramatically

Seems there is a £15bn gap

https://www.theguardian.com/society...worsen-fall-oil-revenues-15bn-deficit?0p19G=c

Seems from the report that Scotland cant financially afford to go Independent

By law, Scotland isn't allowed to run a deficit. The figures are an estimate based on Scotland's share of the UK deficit.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Scotland's deficit is only relevant when it is in a position to control it itself, independently.

By law, Scotland isn't allowed to run a deficit. The figures are an estimate based on Scotland's share of the UK deficit.

The calculation is quite simple. Money in 'v' money out = £15bn BUDGET deficit.

Then it it gets a little more complicated. The UK's deficit = 4%-ish, of which Scotland is actually way over as part of the calculation but when averaged out it equals 4% as a U.K. number. That clearly indicates that other parts of the UK are doing way better. Bit of a shock really when you think how much Scotland spends per head compared to the rest of the UK.

What actually makes it more worrying is the Block Grant has been reduced considerably, which the SNP has touted as unfair, but the balance has been made up by income tax revenues now going to the Scottish government. So in reality it's the SNP that are even more responsible for the problem.

The simple version is the SNP are spending a fortune to buy votes and goodwill. The not so simple version is they have already been pulled up by the EU auditor for illegally funding projects. They've then moved money from other areas of the budget to fund those projects, which has caused more problems in the budgeting.

Its a house of cards that will lead to lots of tears for the average working man.

An independent Scotland, yes. But it has to be viable. Is it? Do you really think it is at present?

If you want independence as the right thing as an independent country, irrespective of the consequences, I'd support that. If you want it to be independent and viable, I'd support that too but you're gonna have to sort a responsible government. The SNP are nowhere near that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You dont really understand how it works. Take a read of the attached link and maybe you will then understand how much better it is for Scotland in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37167975

...and how do we know how much better off or worse off anyone will be in three years time - well we haven't a the foggiest as the brave Brexiteers don;t even know what they want out of negotiations so how can anyone say how much better off or worse off an indy Scotland would be. Nobody knows because nobody knows what the UK economy will be like.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
...and how do we know how much better off or worse off anyone will be in three years time - well we haven't a the foggiest as the brave Brexiteers don;t even know what they want out of negotiations so how can anyone say how much better off or worse off an indy Scotland would be. Nobody knows because nobody knows what the UK economy will be like.

If Scotland is Independent then why would it be affected by what happens in the UK?

Can you explain this for me: You are all of a lather about the UK leaving the EU Single Market but strongly in favor of Scotland leaving the UK Single Market where it does the vast majority of it's trade tariff free. Why?

Just asking!

PS. Regarding what the Government (Described by you as 'the brave Brexiteers' for some reason) want out of negotiations is only an issue with you and your ilk. Other people understand that they want the best deal they can negotiate taking into account the message from the majority of voters. Control of immigration, Sovereignty of our law making and the best trade deal possible. Only people like you with hidden agendas dont seem to follow this.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If Scotland is Independent then why would it be affected by what happens in the UK?

Can you explain this for me: You are all of a lather about the UK leaving the EU Single Market but strongly in favor of Scotland leaving the UK Single Market where it does the vast majority of it's trade tariff free. Why?

Just asking!

PS. Regarding what the Government (Described by you as 'the brave Brexiteers' for some reason) want out of negotiations is only an issue with you and your ilk. Other people understand that they want the best deal they can negotiate taking into account the message from the majority of voters. Control of immigration, Sovereignty of our law making and the best trade deal possible. Only people like you with hidden agendas dont seem to follow this.

Because Scotland currently isn't an independent country - as so WILL be very much affected by what happens in the UK over the next three years. And as we have no idea what state the UK economy will be in in three years time we have no idea what Scotland's will be, and hence nobody has a, idea of the economic starting point for any assessment of Scotland's economy better in UK or out of UK.

I'm not in a lather about the UK leaving the single market. I think it would be a stupid thing to do. I follow the words of what the majority want - the problem is that you most very probably can't have them all (most commentators actually think there is not a cat in hells chance of getting all three - but as you'll just say 'why can't we?' - we're GREAT Britain - they'll be desperate to make a deal with us - in fact I hear that some Brexiters think the EU should pay US to trade with the UK - good one of we can get it). So which ones are there flexibility on. I suppose control of immigration is the easiest because we could admit the same numbers of immigrants - and just say that we decided to let them in - and that's control - I suppose.

If you prefer I'll call them the Baffled and Bemused Brexiteers if you prefer

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because Scotland currently isn't an independent country - as so WILL be very much affected by what happens in the UK over the next three years. And as we have no idea what state the UK economy will be in in three years time we have no idea what Scotland's will be, and hence nobody has a, idea of the economic starting point for any assessment of Scotland's economy better in UK or out of UK.

I'm not in a lather about the UK leaving the single market. I think it would be a stupid thing to do. I follow the words of what the majority want - the problem is that you most very probably can't have them all (most commentators actually think there is not a cat in hells chance of getting all three - but as you'll just say 'why can't we?' - we're GREAT Britain - they'll be desperate to make a deal with us - in fact I hear that some Brexiters think the EU should pay US to trade with the UK - good one of we can get it). So which ones are there flexibility on. I suppose control of immigration is the easiest because we could admit the same numbers of immigrants - and just say that we decided to let them in - and that's control - I suppose.

If you prefer I'll call them the Baffled and Bemused Brexiteers if you prefer
We can agree on the fact that Scotland is not an independent country, they are part of the UK and as such have no independent place in the EU or anywhere else on the International political scene. Just Like England, Wales and Northern Ireland. All this claptrap about people in Scotland voting to stay in the EU giving a mandate to Sturgeon is just spin and gerrymandering by the SNP to help achieve their independence aims and nothing to do with whats best for Scotland.

The parts of your post about how you perceive Brexiteers is nothing to do with me (call them waht you wish). I just want us to explain that we want a free trade deal with no free movement and no payments to the club or were off on our own.

chippa1909

Head Pro
Visit site
We can agree on the fact that Scotland is not an independent country, they are part of the UK and as such have no independent place in the EU or anywhere else on the International political scene. Just Like England, Wales and Northern Ireland. All this claptrap about people in Scotland voting to stay in the EU giving a mandate to Sturgeon is just spin and gerrymandering by the SNP to help achieve their independence aims and nothing to do with whats best for Scotland.

The parts of your post about how you perceive Brexiteers is nothing to do with me (call them waht you wish). I just want us to explain that we want a free trade deal with no free movement and no payments to the club or were off on our own.

What a load of claptrap.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Quite frankly am not interested one bit and was even more disappointed that the poll did not give us an option of not bothered.

As I see it the UK has helped Scotland keep its head above water for years, the Uk Has invested heavily in North Sea oil, which has benefited the hole of the U.K. Scotland pushed for its independence on the basis that oil will support its economy. Well that went tits up pretty quickly didn't it. Seems that is all forgot about now though. Scotland sorry Jimmy Krankie wants to stay in the EU but at the moment it does not meet financial requirements. Seems that is all forgot about now though. Scotland joins the UK owing billions which the UK paid for. Seems that bit is all forgot about now though. Find the whole Scotland episode tiresome. I got more from the EU than what I get from Scotland and I voted to leave, so Scotland as far as I am concerned van go the same way. Scotland in the EU will be as influential as Rangers and Celtic in the champs league.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Quite frankly am not interested one bit and was even more disappointed that the poll did not give us an option of not bothered.

If you're not interested why are you disappointed in the poll options? :rolleyes:

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As I see it the UK has helped Scotland keep its head above water for years, the Uk Has invested heavily in North Sea oil, which has benefited the hole of the U.K. Scotland pushed for its independence on the basis that oil will support its economy. Well that went tits up pretty quickly didn't it. Seems that is all forgot about now though. Scotland sorry Jimmy Krankie wants to stay in the EU but at the moment it does not meet financial requirements. Seems that is all forgot about now though. Scotland joins the UK owing billions which the UK paid for. Seems that bit is all forgot about now though. Find the whole Scotland episode tiresome. I got more from the EU than what I get from Scotland and I voted to leave, so Scotland as far as I am concerned van go the same way. Scotland in the EU will be as influential as Rangers and Celtic in the champs league.

That's a big post for someone who isn't interested...