Votes: 43 47.3%
  • Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 18588

The bit that is difficult for me to understand is......... if Scotland is such a drain on the UK finances why is virtually everyone in the rUK so desperate to keep us.
Could it be that the financial figures produced by Westminster are not what they appear to be. Surely not.

The joke up here is that in Indyref2 David Davis will scaremonger us by saying that we will have to remain with the £ as our currency.:lol:

As Chippa says, it is not about the money.
Many Scots would be happy to pay a bit more to the state to have a more equal society. Tories are becoming even more Toxic.

What?

Basic rate Income Tax of 30%.

As you are fond of saying; Aye right!

And unable to fulfil the EU's economic tests for membership.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The bit that is difficult for me to understand is......... if Scotland is such a drain on the UK finances why is virtually everyone in the rUK so desperate to keep us.
Could it be that the financial figures produced by Westminster are not what they appear to be. Surely not.

The joke up here is that in Indyref2 David Davis will scaremonger us by saying that we will have to remain with the £ as our currency.:lol:

As Chippa says, it is not about the money.
Many Scots would be happy to pay a bit more to the state to have a more equal society. Tories are becoming even more Toxic.

Chippa posted 3 consecutive posts about the money but then changed tack when he was incapable of supporting his argument. Aye right.

And I agree with you, ouch, it shouldn't be about money. It should be about self determination. Unfortunately, if it goes the way of the last Indyref it will come down to money and fear. Aye right.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It amuses me that the Indy ref should be about self determination, and not about money, but when the same is said of Brexit, all we get from the antis is money arguments.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The bit that is difficult for me to understand is.......... why you think "virtually everyone" wants Scotland to stay. Aside from the politicians that don't want their legacy to be that they broke up the UK the strongest feelings I've come across with regard to Scottish independence is probably apathy.

Yes there are some that would like to see Scotland stay and equally some that want Scotland to leave. But the vast majority just don't care either way.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with Colchester. Believing virtually everyone wants Scotland to stay is hugely delusional. Certain politicians may want that, the general public either couldn't care less or are fed up of the moaning and want Scotland to leave. Believe it if you want to feel "special" but it is not the reality. Be part of the team or leave but put up or shut up.

I should clarify by the way. I think the UK works well as it is. The sum of the parts is great than the individual constituents etc. However if Scotland wants to go it alone then feel free to leave. At the moment chunks of Scotland are behaving like the troublemaker in a team, the Kevin Pieterson. Understandably that riles the other members and frankly the more Kevin kicks off the more the rest of the team will want "him" to leave. That's human nature. We know not everyone wants independence but we are getting a constant drone of whinging and whining and that inevitably causes discourse. I feel sorry for the Scots who want to remain within the UK. If we are finding it tough south of the border listening to all this again, how hard must it be to hear it constantly north of the border.

Last edited:

chippa1909

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm with Colchester. Believing virtually everyone wants Scotland to stay is hugely delusional. Certain politicians may want that, the general public either couldn't care less or are fed up of the moaning and want Scotland to leave. Believe it if you want to feel "special" but it is not the reality. Be part of the team or leave but put up or shut up.

Please lobby your politicians who want Scotland to stay and try to change their minds then.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The bit that is difficult for me to understand is.......... why you think "virtually everyone" wants Scotland to stay. Aside from the politicians that don't want their legacy to be that they broke up the UK the strongest feelings I've come across with regard to Scottish independence is probably apathy.

Yes there are some that would like to see Scotland stay and equally some that want Scotland to leave. But the vast majority just don't care either way.

I should clarify by the way. I think the UK works well as it is. The sum of the parts is great than the individual constituents etc. However if Scotland wants to go it alone then feel free to leave. At the moment chunks of Scotland are behaving like the troublemaker in a team, the Kevin Pieterson. Understandably that riles the other members and frankly the more Kevin kicks off the more the rest of the team will want "him" to leave. That's human nature. We know not everyone wants independence but we are getting a constant drone of whinging and whining and that inevitably causes discourse. I feel sorry for the Scots who want to remain within the UK. If we are finding it tough south of the border listening to all this again, how hard must it be to hear it constantly north of the border.

:thup:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It pains me that we are still talking about this. Naive I know but after the last time I thought that the issue was resolved and we wouldn't have to put up with anymore of Spock and the Cranky woman. How wrong I was. Losing only made them stronger. As to why, well you would have to ask the Scottish people.
I am a strong advocate of the Union, but even I find myself hoping the Scots just go now. Enough of the moaning and whinging. They get as good if not a better deal than the rest of us but if I am honest I don't think they will ever be happy. Whilst I would like to think the majority of Scots don't agree with the SNP anti South, anti democratic diatribe and do not share their back of a fag packet, leap in the dark economics we have to accept that they keep voting SNP. I am hoping that this is due to the collapse and lack of credibility of Labour. Let's face it, if you are on the left and live north of the border it's Hobson's choice who to vote for between Labour and the SNP, but the message the rest of the Union is getting is that the Scots want out.
I just hope that when they go and their economy goes belly up we don't end up paying for it all, but I fear we will.

U

User62651

It pains me that we are still talking about this. Naive I know but after the last time I thought that the issue was resolved and we wouldn't have to put up with anymore of Spock and the Cranky woman. How wrong I was. Losing only made them stronger. As to why, well you would have to ask the Scottish people.
I am a strong advocate of the Union, but even I find myself hoping the Scots just go now. Enough of the moaning and whinging. They get as good if not a better deal than the rest of us but if I am honest I don't think they will ever be happy. Whilst I would like to think the majority of Scots don't agree with the SNP anti South, anti democratic diatribe and do not share their back of a fag packet, leap in the dark economics we have to accept that they keep voting SNP. I am hoping that this is due to the collapse and lack of credibility of Labour. Let's face it, if you are on the left and live north of the border it's Hobson's choice who to vote for between Labour and the SNP, but the message the rest of the Union is getting is that the Scots want out.
I just hope that when they go and their economy goes belly up we don't end up paying for it all, but I fear we will.

Some fair points there and I think you could park a lot of these issues squarely at David Cameron's door, he misjudged 2 referendums very badly, came out with all the wrong rhetoric at the wrong time, austerity politics was disastrous, shockingly bad politician playing games for his own political gain. May can only be better.

Brexit is so huge for Scotland and appears horribly misjudged, ill-informed, xenophobic and inward looking that something has to be done even if its just sabre rattling from Holyrood. Scotland does/did well out of EU and needs EU immigrants, feeling is without it UK will never support Scotland like EU does. Feeling is EU doesn't look down its nose at you and tell you to shut-up as the should be deferrent annoying little partner, Scots have a political voice at the moment and powers that be down south dont like it. Despite its faults EU treats all members fairly equally.

Even after Maggie's carnage through former industrial heartlands and poll tax nonsense the nationalist vote only ran at around 20-25% because Labour were strong. They are now going nowhere under Corbyn so look set to stay down in Scotland too and with leaders like Dugdale is it any wonder?
SNP have filled a Labour vacuum, played a canny political game with free this and that for everyone and stood up for Scots, that's undeniable, it is popularism politics and I think they'll get found out at some stage medium term but with their anti Tory rhetoric they'll continue to do well short term and could win Indyref2 should it get called. If May blocked that it will be seen as undemocratic and only drive a bigger wedge in there.

I feel if Labour were still a credible force and led by someone like Tony Blair this wouldn't have ever come about imo - neither Indyref nor Brexit. Not a Blair fan especially and Lefties might not like it but a successful centrist Labour party is essential for the UK to survive I think.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some fair points there and I think you could park a lot of these issues squarely at David Cameron's door, he misjudged 2 referendums very badly, came out with all the wrong rhetoric at the wrong time, austerity politics was disastrous, shockingly bad politician playing games for his own political gain. May can only be better.

100% spot on.
Brexit is so huge for Scotland and appears horribly misjudged, ill-informed, xenophobic and inward looking that something has to be done even if its just sabre rattling from Holyrood. Scotland does/did well out of EU and needs EU immigrants, feeling is without it UK will never support Scotland like EU does. Feeling is EU doesn't look down its nose at you and tell you to shut-up as the should be deferrent annoying little partner, Scots have a political voice at the moment and powers that be down south dont like it. Despite its faults EU treats all members fairly equally.

Again agree but not wholly. I agree that Scotland is better off within the EU but for it to be as is it has to be part of the union. My reasoning? Scotland would now have to apply as a new member therefore a new member will have to fit a number of criteria and take on a number of criteria and one of those is the Euro, I cannot see that currency being welcomed with open arms by the Scottish people. The EU ship as is known now has sailed.

Even after Maggie's carnage through former industrial heartlands and poll tax nonsense the nationalist vote only ran at around 20-25% because Labour were strong. They are now going nowhere under Corbyn so look set to stay down in Scotland too and with leaders like Dugdale is it any wonder?
SNP have filled a Labour vacuum, played a canny political game with free this and that for everyone and stood up for Scots, that's undeniable, it is popularism politics and I think they'll get found out at some stage medium term but with their anti Tory rhetoric they'll continue to do well short term and could win Indyref2 should it get called. If May blocked that it will be seen as undemocratic and only drive a bigger wedge in there.

100% spot on, the SNP are almost the "trendy" vote here just now. The do have some decent policies but how they spend public money really needs to be looked at in depth, their level of spending cannot be justified.

I feel if Labour were still a credible force and led by someone like Tony Blair this wouldn't have ever come about imo - neither Indyref nor Brexit. Not a Blair fan especially and Lefties might not like it but a successful centrist Labour party is essential for the UK to survive I think.

:thup: