• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmm! I spent a week in Scotland recently and forget all about their much stricter drink drive limits for several days until somebody pointed it out to me. Fortunately I got away with it. Would pleading being English have got me off? Generally I only drank about a pint of beer and a glass of wine with a meal, which is OK in the rest of the UK.

A defence of "sorry M'lurd, I'm English" in a Scottish courtroom? Aye, deffo go for that, I'm sure that would work...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmm! I spent a week in Scotland recently and forget all about their much stricter drink drive limits for several days until somebody pointed it out to me. Fortunately I got away with it. Would pleading being English have got me off? Generally I only drank about a pint of beer and a glass of wine with a meal, which is OK in the rest of the UK.

I very much doubt that a pint and a glass of wine is acceptable anywhere in the UK if you are going to drive afterwards. Genuinely. You need a rethink.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Zero alcohol beer tastes like dishwater. Forget about it. Just have a lemonade or orange juice. Is it that big a deal to not drink beer, non alcoholic, for one night?

I presume it is not stocked because people don't buy it. Of course, they may not buy it because they don't get a chance to try it and like it. Vicious circle etc.

I must be a bit odd........I don't mind Becks Blue.
Watched a couple of teenage boys getting drunk on it one night at a family do.....that was funny.
They thought I was a great guy for buying then beers.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
yes i suspect even a pint is touch and go now days. if I'm driving i dont touch a drop not worth it
In England and Wales we have a more sensible alcohol limit of 80mg per 100ml of blood, or 35ug/100ml of breath. For an average sized person that is at least 3 units of alcohol. I drink up to that limit, but never beyond it if I am driving afterwards. No alcohol at all sounds a bit Scottish Presbyterian puritanical misery to me, but that is one of the disadvantages of having a devolved Parliament up there!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In England and Wales we have a more sensible alcohol limit of 80mg per 100ml of blood, or 35ug/100ml of breath. For an average sized person that is at least 3 units of alcohol. I drink up to that limit, but never beyond it if I am driving afterwards. No alcohol at all sounds a bit Scottish Presbyterian puritanical misery to me, but that is one of the disadvantages of having a devolved Parliament up there!

What a pile of nonsense. Only a fool would defend an increase in alcohol allowable consumption for driving. Your 1 beer and 1 glass of wine would put you over the limit in England and Wales.

There is nothing wrong with the limit in Scotland.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Or advantages if you value lives..
England and Wales are lagging behind progressive thinking re safe driving.
As you were with Smoking in public and minimum alcohol pricing.
Canadian hospital saw a 30% drop in hospital admits after their alcohol pricing laws changed.

D

Deleted member 15344

One beer and one wine would more than likely put you over the limit - let's hope you don't cause harm to someone else with your ill judgement.

Not sure what sort of person is thankful for the increase of allowed alcohol limit whilst getting behind the wheel - it's typical of the old school golfer attitude - just a couple of quick drinks after golf then drive home , until one day someone causes serious harm in the car

Last edited by a moderator:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I assume you've under gone extensive medical tests to ascertain that your metabolism is "average".............
Approximately 1 hour per unit is the accepted "average".....
You can be small in stature but metabolise quicker or larger and metabolise slower....
Also, a pint of strong lager can be 3 units, a pint of weaker ale, less than 2....
Average is exactly that. An average.
Most of us are not average.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

good luck with that then, when you get stopped and fail the breathalyzer test, get dragged to the local Police Station that will be a great comfort.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

1 average strength pint = approx. 2 units
1x 125ml glass of wine = 1.4/1.6 units - obviously a 250ml glass, if that's your preference, is about 3 units.

Busted!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
good luck with that then, when you get stopped and fail the breathalyzer test, get dragged to the local Police Station that will be a great comfort.

I passed a breathalyser test after drinking 2 pints a couple of years ago, although that was spread over several hours and my body would have eliminated some of it, at a rate of about one unit per hour.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What was funny a few years ago, I drove to a pub in a friend's village on New Year's Eve for a private party there. I only drank soft drinks all evening and didn't touch a drop of alcohol. When the party finished in the small hours of the morning we all drove out to find a Police car waiting just down the road. And who did they stop? Me! The young policeman 👮 who breathalysed me looked most disappointed when I registered zero! In the meantime loads of really drunken drivers drove past without being stopped. I nearly gave my profession as 'professional decoy', but thought better of it! :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I passed a breathalyser test after drinking 2 pints a couple of years ago, although that was spread over several hours and my body would have eliminated some of it, at a rate of about one unit per hour.

Delc, there are several online calculators that you might want to have a look at. It looks like your perception is skewed. 1 pint and one x 125ml of wine drank between 1pm and 2pm today would see you over the limit till about 6:30pm. What a lot of people don't realise is the absorption rate is not linear. The more in your body the longer it takes to process each unit.

Obviously your size and metabolic rate will make a difference but unless you're at the extremes of weight and rate the absorption will be pretty similar for like for like size.