• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the big changes I have noticed is peoples attitude to drink in the later evenings.
Both my daughters do not drink after 9pm if they are driving the following morning.

The new unit prices make a lot of sense, it hits the white cider/cheap wine drinkers who are mainly teenagers and alcoholics.
Sadly it will not affect Buckfast which [I am informed ;)] now costs about £9 a bottle.

The reality of the situation in Scotland is the reduced limits have changed attitude towards drinking as people no consider options when having any drink at all if they have to drive however the chances of being caught driving over the limit are no greater as they didn't all of a sudden increase breath tests.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The reality of the situation in Scotland is the reduced limits have changed attitude towards drinking as people no consider options when having any drink at all if they have to drive however the chances of being caught driving over the limit are no greater as they didn't all of a sudden increase breath tests.

But, in the main, has the reduced limits only affected those that have a responsible attitude? On a personal level I'm genuinely shocked at the (open) levels of alcohol abuse up here. Middlesbrough isn't exactly a shining light in responsible drinking but, flippin' heck, Aberdeen has people falling over drunk every evening I've been in town. Quite often from early evening. It's a real eye opener.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
But, in the main, has the reduced limits only affected those that have a responsible attitude? On a personal level I'm genuinely shocked at the (open) levels of alcohol abuse up here. Middlesbrough isn't exactly a shining light in responsible drinking but, flippin' heck, Aberdeen has people falling over drunk every evening I've been in town. Quite often from early evening. It's a real eye opener.

Unfortunately Brian alcohol in Scotland is a bit of a problem, hence the change in sales price and limits done to address this.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Unfortunately Brian alcohol in Scotland is a bit of a problem, hence the change in sales price and limits done to address this.

Its shocked me Patrick. If it's making a difference I'm all for it. I wouldn't say its endemic but it isn't a small problem.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its shocked me Patrick. If it's making a difference I'm all for it. I wouldn't say its endemic but it isn't a small problem.

I'm not sure it will TBH, its a nice idea, but given the choice between a bottle of Bucky at £8 or so and a rent bills etc, the people who can least afford it will still on the whole go for the booze. I have 3 golfing friends who are prison officers and i go drinking with them once a year at places i would not be dragged into on my own by a heard of buffalo. the sights you would not believe.

Cheap Booze hasn't helped, but it will take a long time to breaks those habits.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

This is unfortunately very true. My son commented on this the first time he went into a Glasgow city centre pub with a friend one weekday late afternoon. It was 5pm on an 'any-old' Thursday - he couldn't believe how pissed a lot of folk were - on tables singing and dancing.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

If you lived in cold, damp, dark and generally horrible (in Winter anyway) Scotland, wouldn't you want to drink yourself stupid every night?!!! :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you lived in cold, damp, dark and generally horrible (in Winter anyway) Scotland, wouldn't you want to drink yourself stupid every night?!!! :)

remember that next time your course is closed after heavy rain and a trolley ban in operation.... and Mine will be open Dry and can use a trolley. or in spring when its dark down there at 6pm and I'm out playing golf in bright sunshine;)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Really, we have had two days of rain since the end of August.
Burns and Rivers all bone dry. [Not Ed and Joan]
Golf courses and gardens look superb.
First light frost of the year last night.

Have you been listening to 'The Weather where You are'.:lol:
It follows 'The News Where You Are'.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Really, we have had two days of rain since the end of August.
Burns and Rivers all bone dry. [Not Ed and Joan]
Golf courses and gardens look superb.
First light frost of the year last night.

Have you been listening to 'The Weather where You are'.:lol:
It follows 'The News Where You Are'.

I have spent a lot of time in Glasgow this year and the weather has in general been excellent.

U

User62651

I'm surprised how crass and mildly offensive this post is, people choose to live where they live for a reason, dont assume we all want to live in the M25 corridor near St Albans, could think of little worse personally, but thats my choice, many if us enjoy winter too. By your reckoning all of Scandinavia is 'horrible' because they have long dark winters. What a daft post, has little Englander syndrome all over it.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm surprised how crass and mildly offensive this post is, people choose to live where they live for a reason, dont assume we all want to live in the M25 corridor near St Albans, could think of little worse personally, but thats my choice, many if us enjoy winter too. By your reckoning all of Scandinavia is 'horrible' because they have long dark winters. What a daft post, has little Englander syndrome all over it.

Whoosh! I was only poking a bit of fun at my Scottish friends. :)