If you were a free agent...

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it is not about how much we would get paid, surely most of the answers should be - what I use/wear now. Apart from the cost, we all have a free choice now so why wouldn’t you use/wear what you want?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it is not about how much we would get paid, surely most of the answers should be - what I use/wear now. Apart from the cost, we all have a free choice now so why wouldn’t you use/wear what you want?
He means if you could afford any club, but not in such a way that you were contracted to use one brand like the pros.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I currently play ping but choices below are based on me not having forgiveness as my No1

Driver - Titleist
Irons - Mizuno
Putter - Evenroll
Shoes - Footjoy
Clothing - I’d launch my own range of clothing, that would most likely look dreadful!

sunshine

Visit site
Taking a large leap of faith that you were a (very wealthy) tour golfer what would you use/wear out on tour and why?

Driver?
Irons?
Putter?
Ball?
Shoes?
Clothing?

I’ll change my mind on this several times but for starters..

Ping
TaylorMade
Yes (are they still going? eBay if not)
ProV1
FootJoy
Lacoste

Not sure why you have to be a very wealthy tour golfer to wear Footjoys or play a ProV1? I think most of us are kitted out with brands seen on tour, very little gear is out of the price range of a typical club golfer.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

This. It's taken me flippin' years to get my set up to what works for me. Only one thing is getting hold of the Nike PD soft balls.

D

Deleted member 29109

The cost.

The difference in the cost of the replica shaft your driver comes with, compared to the ones the tour pros play is significant enough that most of us wouldn't pay it.

D

Deleted member 1147

I have with the clubs, except the driver which I intended to change soon.
As for the clothing, I like Hugo Boss but wouldn’t pay what they want for golf gear.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh okay then;

Driver: Taylormade - Always been a strong driver most years for me.
Irons: Miura - Lovely and a little bit exclusive
Putter: Bettinardi - Love my Queen Bee and I'd have it custom as F
Ball: Titleist ProV1 - Probably still the best ball out there
Shoe: G-Fore - They look cool
Clothing: Lyle & Scott - Classic, stylist and cool.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d have exactly the same as what I’m playing with now. I’ve tested a load of different things and settled on this:
driver: TM M3 with the M1 kuro kage shaft
3w: 2017 m1 3hl
2i: Mizuno HMB
4-PW: Mizuno 919 tour
Wedges: 50-54-60 SM7’s
Putter: custom my spider X
Ball: Prov1
Glove: Taylormade Targa
Shoes: FJ pro SL
Clothing: not bothered got some UA, FJ Oscar Jacobsen and Adidas that I’m happy with

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Driver - TaylorMade
Other woods - TaylorMade
Irons - Mizuno
Wedges - Vokey
Putter - Scotty Cameron
Ball - Titleist

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest. Since lockdown boredom started and being mid divorce, I’ve already been golf spending like a sailor on shore leave ?

However to answer the op.

Driver - Callaway. Had a few now and the feel and perform the best for me

Irons - I think Mizzy tick all the boxes, however as I’m now a free agent that has an absolute A game. I’m picking Miura. Why would you not?

Putter - hard one this. I would always have said Bettinardi as they just look the dogs, however imo the more recent line look terrible and plasticky. So I’ll pick scotty, just to play around with the large array of products they have.

Wedges. Has to be vokey. But I might try the miura ones when I’m being fitted for my irons in Himeji getting fitted of the big man ☺️

Clothes - I must say I love the RLX range and own plenty now. Ticks all the boxes for me

Shoes - hard this as I’d want plenty of designs. I love Ecco and G/fore classic brogues etc but even though they are crap quality. FJ have all the styles... hmm ?. Sod it. I’m picking Ecco just so they will remake the old tour hybrid plain toes shoes in tan leather for me.

Balls. I’ll be boring and choose Titleists.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Taking a large leap of faith that you were a (very wealthy) tour golfer what would you use/wear out on tour and why?

Driver?
Irons?
Putter?
Ball?
Shoes?
Clothing?

I’ll change my mind on this several times but for starters..

Ping
TaylorMade
Yes (are they still going? eBay if not)
ProV1
FootJoy
Lacoste

Driver - If i had the choice of any, going on looks mostly alone as I think performance is all pretty similar, SIM or Mavrik? Probably the Mavrik!
Irons - Mizuno's all day long. JPX forged would do nicely! Used to have a set I brought used and the feel was outstanding, I want Mizunos again soon!!
Putter - Id try the new LAB Mallet (Peter Finch's putter) just seems really stable and I like a mallett.
Ball - Taylormade TP5X PIX for me - love putting with the PIX balls and ive had better success with the X-version of top of range balls (Prov1x/ TP5x)
Shoes - Footjoy for the winter... Nike in the summer
Clothing - I really like callway clothing, especially the polos, but I think I'd go with Nike!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Obviously, the point of being free agent is to use whats most effective, so youve got to be a bit agnostic, but shortlist would be

Driver from - Titliest TSI 3, SIM2, PING 425 LST

Fairway wood (has to be a bit old school ;)) - Cobra King ltd, Titliest 906f2,

Irons from - Titliest 620mb, Taylormade P7TW, mizuno jpx 921 tour, ping blueprint

Wedges - from SM8, Ping forged.

Putter - something from Scotty or Toulon, thats frustratingly close to off the shelf, but just custom enough that mortals have no hope of owning.

Clothes - Well tailored own brand, so totally obnoxious that TV (and their money) are duty bound to show every shot even when making the cut is a ludicrous pipe dream.

Shoes - See clothes. But with the added bonus of a charity tie in.

Ball - As with putter, something custom from titliest that sounds on paper 100% perfect for sorting every amatuers ball flight - but isn't available in shops.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Not sure why you have to be a very wealthy tour golfer to wear Footjoys or play a ProV1? I think most of us are kitted out with brands seen on tour, very little gear is out of the price range of a typical club golfer.

Meant very wealthy so not to worry about club deals etc

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think there is much to choose between the leading drivers and good players can be fitted into almost any of them. Probably would go for a Callaway Mavrik or Titleist, look at matching fairways and a good non-left biased hybrid.

Irons probably Srixon or Mizuno, blended set with bladey short irons and players cavity longer irons.

Off to Cali for a Bob Vokey fitting for wedges and Scotty Cameron fitting for a putter.